Windows 10: Very slow access to USB HDD

Discus and support Very slow access to USB HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a rather young 4 TB USB HDD. Some time ago I formatted it in Ext4 and used it in a Linux system. Now I will use it in Windows. I formatted it in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PiKo, Jun 29, 2020.

1. PiKo Win User

Very slow access to USB HDD

I have a rather young 4 TB USB HDD. Some time ago I formatted it in Ext4 and used it in a Linux system. Now I will use it in Windows. I formatted it in NTFS (Quick Format) and copied 2 TB data to it. Up to here everything was ok.
    I connected this USB3 capable HDD to a USB2 port. Now, with every computer start-up, starting Windows takes 5 minutes (normally 20 s), during which there is continuous communication between Windows and the HDD (blinking light). Finally, windows boots fully. Opening some folders on the HDD may take another few minutes. Finally. after several (many) minutes the HDD starts to work well and accessing folders on the HDD is then very quick. Behaviour of the HDD has become normal.
    In contrast it seems that connecting the HDD to a USB3 port, everything goes normal, with normal start-up times.
    I donot think it is a computer issue since I noticed the same behaviour with another desktop PC.
    I cannot understand the hugh time difference Windows needs accessing the HDD on a USB2 or USB3 port. In Linux, I only had USB2 ports and accessing the HDD was never a problem.
    Who has an idea?
    W10 64bit v1909

:)

2. philetus Win User

USB 3.0 very slow to connect to USB HDD

Had a USB HDD plugged into USB 3.0 and rebooted computer. Now it takes about 5 minuted before the HDD is connected and one it is, you can't do anything with the files. Same with another, newer HDD.Both drives work good on USB 2.0 Here is the system log when the drive is plugged into USB 3.0.

Very slow access to USB HDD [​IMG]

philetus, Jun 29, 2020
  3. Johankaan Win User
    unlock hdd

Johankaan, Jun 29, 2020
  4. Very slow access to USB HDD

HDD in a HDD caddy is not showing up in the disk management

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• How are you connecting the HDD Caddy?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

If you are connecting the device using USB, I suggest you to check if other USB devices are recognized as USB devices or Other device. If it is displaying as other device, then the issue might be with the USB port. So, I suggest you to update the USB drivers
    by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus Controller.
    • Right click on the drive, select Update Driver Software and follow the on-screen prompts.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

Very slow access to USB HDD

1. Very slow access to USB HDD - Similar Threads - Very slow access

2. usb transfer is very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb transfer is very slow: File transfer from my Dell Precision to a the USB is fast, then it slow dramatically down and stops after 10 seconds. I have updated the drive and it is working property.Dell has not been helpfull becuase it is just out of the warrentee....
  3. usb transfer is very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb transfer is very slow: File transfer from my Dell Precision to a the USB is fast, then it slow dramatically down and stops after 10 seconds. I have updated the drive and it is working property.Dell has not been helpfull becuase it is just out of the warrentee....
  4. Windows 2004 - 19041.329: HDD very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 2004 - 19041.329: HDD very slow: After installing the latest update on top of 2004, the disk is taskmgr shows 100% utilization all the time, even when total activity is below 1 MB/s. Overall machine performance is very slow as well...
  5. USB 3.0 very slow to connect to USB HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB 3.0 very slow to connect to USB HDD: Had a USB HDD plugged into USB 3.0 and rebooted computer. Now it takes about 5 minuted before the HDD is connected and one it is, you can't do anything with the files. Same with another, newer HDD.Both drives work good on USB 2.0 Here is the system log when the drive is...
  6. very slow access to emails ...........

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    very slow access to emails ...........: When attempting to search for contacts, I keep getting message - Your request can't be completed at the moment ...... Also, when attempting to scroll down to search emails, it takes an eternity as the system freezes then moves slowly - most frustrating. I get a message...
  7. Very slow boot, no usb

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very slow boot, no usb: I just upgraded my i7, 8GB ram laptop to Windows 10 and really need help. Booting up, shutting down, and restarting are extremely slow. This laptop previously had Windows 7 and booted up much faster. I've looked at the startup folder and it is empty. I'm ready to give up and...
  8. Copying to USB Very Slow

Copying to USB Very Slow: A few times a week I backup my data files to my extended hdd and my USB. Seems it take forever to copy to the USB. Very short time to copy to Extended hdd. I've tried deleting to old backup first so there will be no need to replace and files. That doesn't seem to be...
  9. Copying to external Hdd very slow

Copying to external Hdd very slow: Hi all, I have a I5 desktop 8gb memory, with a 256 ssd startup-disk (C:\) and an internal Hdd 2Tb (D:\) where all my files are stored. The windows-version is 10 pro. Now i have an external Hdd 3Tb connected via USB3 to my pc. I 'd like to make a 1on1 copy of all my...
  10. Disc access very slow

Disc access very slow: I have an HP Envy i7 laptop which came with a 1TB hard drive. As there was space to add a second drive I added a 500GB drive. In addition I added a 320GB drive in the DVD slot (using a dvd/disc converter cartridge). I have recently noticed that disc access in Explorer...