Windows 10: Very slow boot and MBR error 3 linked?

Discus and support Very slow boot and MBR error 3 linked? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have recently upgraded my desktop with a SSD drive and 8 Mb of memory. However, the PC still seems very slow and sluggish at times especially on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Crofter, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Crofter Win User

Very slow boot and MBR error 3 linked?

I have recently upgraded my desktop with a SSD drive and 8 Mb of memory. However, the PC still seems very slow and sluggish at times especially on start up which is glacial speed. I also get an error "MBR error 3" showing up constantly. Can anyone advise me if I am right in assuming that the two problems are linked?

My boot drive, C:, appears in the attached screen shot as drive number 3. Is this anything to do with it?

Thanks in advance.

Very slow boot and MBR error 3 linked? [​IMG]

:)

Crofter, Dec 16, 2017

2. Windows 10 Installation Error [Error Code: C1900101-40017]

Here's what worked for me. Apparently the Windows 10 installation isn't as immune to errors as Windows 8.1 OS. I noticed that as I booted my 8.1, I got a very quickly flashed message on the screen, but it booted anyway. I had to take a video of the boot
    just to slow it down to see the message. It turned out to be an MBR Error 3 which means that the Master Boot Record was corrupted. A little research and I found a product I had that does modify this record, Acronis True Image 2015. I uninstalled this product,
    and then used a Windows 8.1 recovery disk to go into a command prompt where I was able to type bootrec /fixmbr to fix the MBR. You can also use bootrec /fixboot to fix the boot record.

Windows 10 installed without a hitch after that.

So advice is, even if your symptoms don't exactly match, use some tools to find out what is going on your 8.1 (or other) boot and if there is a problem (or not), use some technique, including a complete recovery of Windows with a repair option before you
    start the Windows 10 update. Do some research on products that might tamper with the boot process, and uninstall them so they can't redo what they did.

Wray Smallwood, Dec 16, 2017
  3. Slow boot

There are many reasons can cause slow boot problem. For example, there are so many applications booting while the computer booting, for this situation, close the applications' automatic booting when start up would be fine. Then, your system drive is running
    out of space, thus, you need to clean up your hard drive, or extend system partition with other free space. Hard drive failure is also a fact that cause the slow boot problem, for this, you need to

fix MBR
    or do some other things to rescue the hard drive, even re-install system.

DemonBradsahw, Dec 16, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

You have a strange arrangement normally you have the boot disk as drive 0.

• Insert the installation USB and boot Windows 10 from it.
      • In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.
      • Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.
      • Click on ‘Advanced options’ to get into Advance repair menu.
      • We need to use the Bootrec.exe tool. Click on command prompt and type in the following commands, one after the other.
        • bootrec /RebuildBcd
        • bootrec /fixMbr
        • bootrec /fixboot
        • Exit
      • Now, restart your computer and check.

Samuria, Dec 16, 2017
  5. Crofter Win User
    Good morning Samuria, thanks for the advice which I will be putting to use later today. Unfortunately I do not at this point have an installation USB or CD but I have ordered a 64 GB USB stick which Amazon will deliver later today. The max size I have of sticks are old 2 GB so it is time I updated them all.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again, Frank

Crofter, Dec 17, 2017
  6. lx07 Win User
  7. Crofter Win User
    Hi Folks

Carried out the steps recommended by Samurai. Only problem came when I tried bootrec /fixboot and got an error message denying me access. However, my pc is running better but I seem to have two OS installed now Windows 10 (first option on the blue start screen which it defaults to after 30 seconds or so) and Windows 10 Pro which is the second option and does not appear to work. I originally purchased windows 7 Pro and upgraded to ten pro so not sure what has happened.
    Anyway, it is running much better and the "MBR error 3" no longer appears so I am tempted to just leave it as it is unless there is a quick and easy way of getting rid of one of the two options on the blue screen.
    Would it matter if I just left it as it is?
    Thanks again folks for your help.

Crofter, Dec 20, 2017
  8. Very slow boot and MBR error 3 linked?

Is Windows 7 still installed or does it just show up in the boot manger. You can doenload the following utility and check or change your boot configuration if that is only issue

EasyBCD

Techjourney, Dec 20, 2017
  9. lx07 Win User
    Are you booting in legacy or csm or what?

7 is a bugger booting EUFI

lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Very slow boot and MBR error 3 linked? - Similar Threads - Very slow boot

2. Booting is very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Booting is very slow: Hello, My laptop taking around 6-7 minutes to boot. I have tried all possible fix like reinstall of Windows with both local install and cloud download , Disk cleanup and defragment, switching off superfetch, turned off hibernation, cleaning up registry editor. Nothing worked...
  3. Booting is very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting is very slow: Hello, My laptop taking around 6-7 minutes to boot. I have tried all possible fix like reinstall of Windows with both local install and cloud download , Disk cleanup and defragment, switching off superfetch, turned off hibernation, cleaning up registry editor. Nothing worked...
  4. Boot error fix mbr error 3?

Boot error fix mbr error 3?: So I am trying to fix my computer yesterday with my file storage, and when i open my computer i get an error fix mbr error 3 ? How to solve this ? I cant go back thank you....
  5. very slow boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    very slow boot: Hello everyone.. I have a lenovo l340 with the following specs: i5 9300h, GTX 1650 4GB, 8GB single channel ram, 1TB HDD, winodws 10 pro 20h2. my problem is that whenever I try to shut it down or restart or boot it, it takes a very long time, sometimes it takes up to 5 minutes...
  6. Boot is very slow

Boot is very slow: Hi I have a problem with my PC. I've recently updated my windows using windows settings.Everything is fine but my PC boots very slow after updating. I disabled apps with high impact in startup settings and I also reset my PC but nothing changed. I changed the boot...
  7. Very Slow to Boot

Very Slow to Boot: Hi, since the latest upgrade to Windows 10 1803, my computer is taking approximately four to five times longer to boot, than before. Is this normal? 110711
  8. Very Slow Boot

Very Slow Boot: Until yesterday (New Updates) i have Very Slow Boot and Installed Applications needs so much time to opens. I have Intel Core i5 4670K, SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250GB and 8 GB RAM. Yesterday Computer works normally until today. 9131
  9. Very slow boot

Very slow boot: Please help me for this..I have problem with boot. Its very slow. Windows 8 open very fast. Now show me one black screen then welcome screen and then open..But its slow. Maybe its isue from BIOS boot settings ? 66245
  10. Very Slow Boot

Very Slow Boot: I do have Dell Inspiron 3542 laptop. I have dual booted my laptop with Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15. My Windows 10 boots very very slow. First it shows me windows sign and loading screen then it goes "blank" for like 1 minute and then comes the login screen. After...