Windows 10: Very slow booting and shutting down (tens of minutes)

Discus and support Very slow booting and shutting down (tens of minutes) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I turn off the computer, it takes appr 7 minutes(!) to show booting screen with an option to enter BIOS. During those 7 minutes, there is only a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tasi, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Tasi Win User

Very slow booting and shutting down (tens of minutes)

When I turn off the computer, it takes appr 7 minutes(!) to show booting screen with an option to enter BIOS. During those 7 minutes, there is only a black screen with static (not blinking) underscore symbol. After those 9 minutes, the computer boots additional 2 minutes. Previously (just 3 days ago) the whole booting took around 20 sec.
    The similar issue is with turning down the computer, except it takes around half an hour. When I click the turn-off computer, the computer doesn't show any signs of doing so. I can normally work. After appr 10 minutes, the computer shows turning-off screen and turns itself down normally, except it does so for a very long time (tens of minutes) before it finally goes down.

How it started
    The problem started 3 days ago with shutting down a computer. I have clicked shut down the computer. Windows showed "turning off" screen with the progress of some update. I wasn't aware the Windows updated but I didn't care much. The shutting down took several minutes (as it sometimes happens, so I didn't consider it as a problem at all). The following morning the computer booted very slowly for the very first time.

I am especially worried about that several minutes before the BIOS screen. It makes me think that re-installation may not fix the issue.
    Any suggestions on what should I test or try? Thanks a lot for any help

I have tried to restart the computer several times. I don't use "fast start up" option or hibernation (I always boot fresh).
    I have tried to search for Windows updates (no updates).
    I don't use any external antivirus. I use only default MS Defender with all suggested options turned on.
    I have not yet flashed the latest firmware for my motherboard. I was waiting for advice to avoid making the situation worse. Programs seem to work normally and I haven't noticed any slowing down.
    I don't see any suspicious activity in Task Manager either (I am not an expert so I have only checked it there is anything which would consume lots of RAM or CPU power).

• Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 19042.804
    • APU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200GE
    • no dedicated graphics
    • 16GB RAM (2GB are dedicated for integrated graphics)
    • SSD (the system has 200GB SSD with over 80GB free space) + additional HDD for data

:)

2. jsim02 Win User

Windows 10 slow boot

Seven out of ten of my devices, Windows 10 boots slow and runs slow first few minutes after logging in. On one desktop, after turning on... Screen goes black, i have to unplug it then retry. It will boot just fine from USB or Disc. Solid state harddrives
    in all devices.

jsim02, Feb 11, 2021
  3. zinou Win User
    Very slow boot-up time (over three minutes)

Hi,

There was many events that was dropped during the boot trace, but there is enough data to undertake a troubleshooting.

Very slow booting and shutting down (tens of minutes) [​IMG]

First, the majority of the delay happens in the Session init phase. in this phase the OS primarily load and initialize drivers.

I have identified two suspect drivers:
    • NoMachine Hub that causes a boot delay of 12s. Windows try to reload the catalog to check the code integrity for this driver because it's a non-embedded-signed driver. So try to upgrad to the latest version of NoMachine application.

• But the biggest delay is caused by Intel Management Engine driver ( 90 s)

you have the version 11.7.0.1057. There is a newer version available on the Intel website Download Intel® Management Engine Consumer Driver for Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3DN

Update this driver and see if that help.

Finally take another boot trace.

zinou, Feb 11, 2021
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Slow boot

Hi Craig,

Boot performance may slow can be due to corruptions. To assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes before this issue occur?
    • Have you tried booting up your laptop in Safe Mode and check if the issue still persist?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We're looking forward to your response.

Rose Cal, Feb 11, 2021
Thema:

1. Very slow booting and shutting down (tens of minutes) - Similar Threads - Very slow booting

2. Booting is very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Booting is very slow: Hello, My laptop taking around 6-7 minutes to boot. I have tried all possible fix like reinstall of Windows with both local install and cloud download , Disk cleanup and defragment, switching off superfetch, turned off hibernation, cleaning up registry editor. Nothing worked...
  3. Booting is very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Booting is very slow: Hello, My laptop taking around 6-7 minutes to boot. I have tried all possible fix like reinstall of Windows with both local install and cloud download , Disk cleanup and defragment, switching off superfetch, turned off hibernation, cleaning up registry editor. Nothing worked...
  4. Very slow booting and shutting down (tens of minutes)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very slow booting and shutting down (tens of minutes): When I turn off the computer, it takes appr 7 minutes(!) to show booting screen with an option to enter BIOS. During those 7 minutes, there is only a black screen with static (not blinking) underscore symbol. After those 9 minutes, the computer boots additional 2 minutes....
  5. Boot is very slow

Boot is very slow: Hi I have a problem with my PC. I've recently updated my windows using windows settings.Everything is fine but my PC boots very slow after updating. I disabled apps with high impact in startup settings and I also reset my PC but nothing changed. I changed the boot...
  6. PC is extremely slow and shuts down after 20 minutes

PC is extremely slow and shuts down after 20 minutes: I have recently swapped out my GT 730 graphics card for a GTX 780 ti. Retracing my steps, the procedure was as follows, I unplugged all power cables to make room for my GPU. I then air dusted everything. I put in my GPU and plugged all the cables back in (plus the 6 and 8 pin...
  7. 100% Disk Usages, Very Slow Boot & Shut Down

100% Disk Usages, Very Slow Boot & Shut Down: After new update 1809 in Windows 10, it's take almost more than 10 min to boot the system properly. And than Disk usages goes to 100% and system become very slow to do any work, even cannot see any photo album properly. My Laptop usages is very less. But in case of emergency,...
  8. Very slow boot-up time (over three minutes)

Very slow boot-up time (over three minutes): My windows 10 Pro, 64bit (SSD 240G) was working fine, until recently (a month or two ago), when booting became extremely slow: during system boot-up it gets about two minutes stuck in the black (Lenovo) screen (with some white dots moving around I think). I've tried to fix...
  9. Slow shut down

Slow shut down: Hello, long time viewer, first time poster. I'm a huge fan of the Windows 10, I love it, however recently I've gotten my first glimpse of the buggy side. The computer (pretty decent) is taking a very very long time to shut down. I just let it be, maybe update or something,...
  10. Very Slow Boot

Very Slow Boot: Until yesterday (New Updates) i have Very Slow Boot and Installed Applications needs so much time to opens. I have Intel Core i5 4670K, SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250GB and 8 GB RAM. Yesterday Computer works normally until today. 9131