Windows 10: VERY Slow file Copy Transfer Rate

Discus and support VERY Slow file Copy Transfer Rate in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am not sure if I am having a software setting or hardware issue. I just installed a new SSD in my laptop no problem there, instead of wasting the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SteveSoke, Feb 14, 2020.

1. SteveSoke Win User

VERY Slow file Copy Transfer Rate

I am not sure if I am having a software setting or hardware issue.

I just installed a new SSD in my laptop no problem there, instead of wasting the original 2TB HDD I bought a CDROM Caddy to replace the CDROM drive. The 2TB HDD is secured in the caddy and connected via the existing port no adapter needed.

The HDD is recognized in File Explorer as expected, but transfer rates have plummeted to 300 kbps to a max of 3 mbps. The HDD is partitioned in 2 drives and that slow rate is the same between partitions as it is between the HDD and SSD or HDD and USB drive. Before I moved it to the caddy I was getting 60 mbps average with 100 mbps max.

I guess it is possible I didn't reinstall the ribbon connector for the cdrom now caddy port 100% correctly, but figure it wouldn't work at all if that was the case I haven't checked it because the HP Envy engineers had the brilliant idea of requiring removal of over a dozen screws AND prying the keyboard off, to get to the hard drive and RAM. None of this silly simple access door for them...

My assumption is there is a setting I need to change, maybe because the drive is so large? Any ideas to make access to my 2TB HDD better than 5 1/4" floppy speed?

Thanks

:)

SteveSoke, Feb 14, 2020
  2. Mussels Win User

Slow as LAN transfer rate

We've managed to fix this problem, by only doing network transfers one way.

If she copies files from over the network, she now gets 12MB/s - at 90-100% CPU usage. If we try and copy files to her PC, it slows to 3MB/s and her CPU lags out.

Mussels, Feb 14, 2020
  3. Need explanation on odd figures from Copy/Transfer rates

---------------
    --Update--
    ---------------

So basically the issue (You can read in details bellow) was that on copying files one gets three different readings , Explorer report a figure between 35 ~ 70 MB/s , Task Manager Disk % Transfer Rate reports double the number & yet Disk % Utilization never exceeds 50~60% .

Thanks to @dalchina & @Samuria I was able to experiment with the issue a little more and here are my findings :

1 - Apparently on file Copy windows deal with Explorer as yet another program running with Normal priority assigning to it a Quota of Disk % Utilization (a Cap) where Explorer as a program do the Reading then hands it in a Queue like action to the System Process to do the Writing , so Explorer just report its part (the Reading speed in MB/s) and yet Disk % Transfer rate combines it along with the Writing done by the System as well :

VERY Slow file Copy Transfer Rate [​IMG]

2 - The reason of priority and capping was revealed to me as on conducting the same experiment with Robocopy (A fast folder copy command line tool suggested by Samuria) , when the system reached its Disk % Utilization peek (95~100%) the system starts becoming slightly unresponsive .

3 - Now on the other hand Robocopy command despite not running in any higher priority somehow trigger the System to assist it in Reading so the Cap limiting is off (i.e the System Read along with it at the exact capped speed) to render a full Disk % Utilization :

4 - There are few side effects to Robocopy other than System responsiveness and those are :
    a - The documentation is Jerky
    b - You can't monitor progress or have an estimate on when it's done
    c - It uses an odd method of committing all files in last step
    (i.e you wont be seeing a single file output until it is done copying/moving all)
    d - It is designed for directory copy , no file copy support

5 - Microsoft made a GUI for Robocopy as it is essentially a command line tool which is difficult to find so I have included it in post attachments yet however it only ease up using it but wouldn't solve the no progress monitor or time estimate or pause or cancel problem etc .

Cheers

-----------------------
    --Original Post--
    -----------------------
    Ok so basically I am trying to figure why would I get 3 different readings from windows from a file Copy/Move operation , first things first this is an internal SSHD trying to copy files to another internal SSHD both running on a Sata 3 interface .

Now the remark is I get a fluctuating rate between 70 ~ 35 MB/s reported on Copy/Transfer Dialogue and then exactly double the figure on Task Manager "Disk % Transfer Rate" and Yet less than 50% Cap to "Disk % Utilization" .

Now Maybe but not really sure I can assume that the "Disk % Transfer Rate" doubles figures to portray cumulative disk utilization of both disks . Now why is it still capped under 50% if the Sata interface can take it ? Defragmantation ? Can defragmentation cause a 50% cap ?

Which lead me to try it but this time to a USB 3 external HDD and here are the results :

Again the numbers are doubled in "Disk % Transfer Rate" and while the transfer rate is higher the "Disk % Utilization" is lower , so can anyone confirm why these numbers are all messed up like that ?

nIGHTmAYOR, Feb 14, 2020
  4. VERY Slow file Copy Transfer Rate

Copy Files from Hard Drive to SD Card - Painfully Slow Transfer

I am in the process of transferring files from my laptop's hard drive to a 256 GB SD card in the laptop's card reader slot. The transfer started quickly but then it slowed down drastically and has stayed down since. I've looked at some similar posts and tried a few of the fixes that worked for others but none of them have worked for me and I'm still transferring at an incredibly slow pace.

I should note that I'm transferring music files from my computer to the SD card. I have about 50 GB that I would like to put on the card but it would take me a week at the rate it's going now.

Anyone have any suggestions?

THANKS!

Martin d35, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

VERY Slow file Copy Transfer Rate

1. VERY Slow file Copy Transfer Rate - Similar Threads - VERY Slow file

2. Slow copy and file transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow copy and file transfer speeds: 35,000 files 1.7gb. Taking days to transfer/copy. Ridiculously slow. No information regarding the exact mb/s or kb/s. It's 2024 can we speed it up a little Microsoft?...
  3. Slow copy and file transfer speeds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow copy and file transfer speeds: 35,000 files 1.7gb. Taking days to transfer/copy. Ridiculously slow. No information regarding the exact mb/s or kb/s. It's 2024 can we speed it up a little Microsoft?...
  4. file transfer now very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file transfer now very slow: File transfer now very slow even via the desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-transfer-now-very-slow/06df8794-a638-4393-8dad-73583053aa49
  5. file transfer now very slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file transfer now very slow: File transfer now very slow even via the desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-transfer-now-very-slow/06df8794-a638-4393-8dad-73583053aa49
  6. file transfer now very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Slow data transfer rate

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow data transfer rate: I don't understand what the issue is. I'm moving 85gigs from one folder to another within the same folder on the same drive which is a hybrid drive and I've seen it go way faster but small or large it never goes over 55mb/s 151820
  8. Slow USB Transfer rate

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow USB Transfer rate: My lappie has USB3 ports. Or course I know the clock down to whatever device you attach. I have a 500G Seagate External rated at USB2. Meaning my transfers should be 480 megabits per second (mbps), or 60 megabytes per second (MBps), correct? So why am I getting half that...
  9. Slow transfer rates

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow transfer rates: Been dealing with this for awhile and I'm honestly not sure what could be causing it. So this happens when I'm moving files/folders from my PC to my external drive - [img] The speeds are good for about 5 seconds then it 'throttles' to literally 30kb/s or lower....
  10. VERY Slow transfer rates between separate internal HDD's

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    VERY Slow transfer rates between separate internal HDD's: I've got a 2Tb disk which is almost full. I'm trying to copy the contents to a 3Tb disk, however, i'm getting ridiculously slow transfer rates. I've tried cloning, and it gives me estimated completion of cloning of over 30 days. I've tried Teracopy, and it gives me similar...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot