Windows 10: VERY Slow Internet After Upgrade to 10

Discus and support VERY Slow Internet After Upgrade to 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; OK, thanks to consgle, we have narrowed this down! It's DEFINITELY an issue between the range extender and Windows 10. After unplugging my Linksys... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DaveTheRave, Dec 11, 2015.

1. VERY Slow Internet After Upgrade to 10

OK, thanks to consgle, we have narrowed this down! It's DEFINITELY an issue between the range extender and Windows 10. After unplugging my Linksys RE4100W range extender, I connected from PC to my TP-Link router and -- for the first time since upgrading to Win 10 -- I tested with a net speed above 1.5 MBPS. It clocked in at 13.5 MBPS! That's still less than the 18 MBPS I get on my laptop running Win 8.1, but it's good.

So ... any ideas on how we get Win 10 to play nice with the Linksys range extender? I need that to get the signal upstairs.

DaveTheRave, Dec 12, 2015
  2. jds63 Win User

Here i was going to ask this next about your signal from WiFi to this Desktop or even about this router, but you swore there was nothing wrong with that part of it because of other systems working fine and what the manufacturer told you.

jds63, Dec 12, 2015
  3. jds63 Win User
    No comma here, this was all i meant to put in. Did you copy paste just this line below ?

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txtc:\resetlog.txt

And this part just tells you were to put the log, it can be removed from the command c:\resetlog.txt

jds63, Dec 12, 2015
  4. VERY Slow Internet After Upgrade to 10

Because I have work to do and I am behind. I gave up went to BestBuy and purchased 100' Ethernet cable and now have this lovely cable running from the back bedroom to the front sitting room that serves as my office. The speedtest avg is 215 mps. BestBuy people suggested buying a AC modem, the cable company want to charge a setup fee and monthly fee to run a new LAN line. At this point my last investment is the 100' cable for $40. This is a brand new computer. Since I have had this new high powered computer, I have upgraded my internet service, bought an extender and paid an IT geek to help. No more. In addition, forget the wifi printer. Everytime the cable blinks and now that I am having trouble with wifi on the computer, I have gone back to USB connection for the printer. So much for getting into the 21st century.

By the way, has anyone tried the Apple airport extreme. As soon as my husband can find the old airport extreme, we will give it another go. We moved into this house a couple of years ago and the cable company did not seem to like us using an Apple product. So it is buried in a box. Before we go to the trouble, I would love to hear other thoughts. We are concerned that it may be too dated.

consgle123, Dec 13, 2015
  5. linw Win User
    I agree, give up!! Range extenders are a bad 'answer' as they a reduce throughput by 50% as they can't receive and send at the same time.

I see you need a signal upstairs so the best solution is to run an ethernet cable up there and second best is to use a pair of powerline adapters in place of the ethernet cable. Then you can attach the gear upstairs via an ethernet cable, or attach a wireless router for wifi cover.

Something like the TP LInk TL-WR1043ND is good for the job and reasonably priced.

This is a better solution and will save all this grief you are having.

6. Ah, what I wouldn't give for 215 mbps! In my rural woods, 20 mbps is about the best they can deliver. But I will not give up!

We have 2 laptops, several mobiles, a printer and my desktop PC all on a wireless network in a two-story house. The modem/router setup must be downstairs (where my office and PC are). The laptops and mobiles wander all over the house, all use the printer, so wireless is almost a must.

And we are SO close to solving this! The facts as we know them:

1. With the Linksys range extender REMOVED, my Windows 10 PC gets nearly full internet speed.
    2. Since everything else runs Windows 8.1 or mobile OS, they get full speed with or without the range extender.
    3. But the range extender makes it possible for all devices to connect everywhere in the house, upstairs and downstairs, so we need that.
    4. Since my Windows 10 desktop PC is anchored downstairs, close to the modem/router, it does not need the range extender signal, so I can connect instead to the modem.
    5. Therefore, I could leave the range extender in and connect to that with all the other devices throughout the house.
    6. The PC will connect to the modem signal that does not use the range extender.

In a perfect world (which it was BEFORE I upgraded to Windows 10), my PC and all devices would connect wirelessly to the router/range extender signal, all in one happy home network. I have to believe that's still possible without reverting back to Windows 8.1 on my PC.

I ordered a new range extender (actually, it's call a repeater, which may be something different) to see if Windows 10 plays better with that than it does with the Linksys extender.

I remain open to any suggestions and thankful for everybody's assistance.

DaveTheRave, Dec 13, 2015
  7. Yes, I clipped and pasted the command exactly as-is.

FYI, I noticed something interesting today. When I run my speed tests with the Linksys range extender in place, the upload speed is about the full speed I pay for. It's only the download speed that sucks. And again, that only happens when the range extender is used. If I unplug it and connect wirelessly to the modem or router directly, I get full download and upload speed.

So it must be an issue between the range extender and Windows 10.

DaveTheRave, Dec 13, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

VERY Slow Internet After Upgrade to 10

Seems exactly as what other members here had told you about certain extenders and i never thought to ask you about your signal strength as it will have caused you issues with speed. WiFi is never as fast as ethernet from what i know. Upload speeds are sometimes slower then download speeds, although these days they should be equal. What you have is not bad, i have seen worse speeds and being in the sticks. Good luck !

jds63, Dec 13, 2015
  9. For all of you who have been so helpful to me in this issue, I have news to report: Today I got a new range extender, an ASUS RP-AC52 repeater, and I linked it up with my TP-link router, and -- voila! -- I now have a full-speed network through my long-range router, and a full home network again, even on my PC running Windows 10!!! I still don't know WHY the Linksys range extender dropped my net speed down to 1.5 mbps, on my Windows 10 machine, while still giving full speed to my Windows 8.1 laptop, but it did.

Bottom line, Windows 10 obviously has issues with some range extenders, the Linksys RE4100W being one of them. Maybe we eventually could have found a fix that worked, but now that my new ASUS repeater has proven to be a winner with Win 10, I'm moving on. The Linksys is unplugged, but the incompatibility issue really lies with Windows 10.

DaveTheRave, Dec 15, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Glad you fixed it ! Hard to say what in Win 10 would have caused this, in the Linksys setup of this device nothing it getting installed on the OS. Thinking LinkSys is a good brand, but so is ASUS. As you said it worked without the Linksys then maybe compatibility with Win 10 was that brand, not Win 10.

jds63, Dec 15, 2015
  11. Good point, jds63. I shouldn't indict Windows 10 without knowing for sure it wasn't the Linksys firmware that didn't match up well with the new OS. I do know, however, that the Linksys extender still works fine with Windows 8.1, so the question becomes: When a new OS is released, is it Microsoft's obligation to make it compatible with as many mainstream peripherals and software as practical, or is it the obligation of all peripheral makers to change their products to make them compatible with a new OS?

I guess the answer lies somewhere in between, with a cooperative effort between all parties, and we have to assume there will be a few glitches until the conflicts get ironed out.

DaveTheRave, Dec 15, 2015
  12. jds63 Win User
    I would be leaning bit more towards manufacturer of the product and not MS.

jds63, Dec 15, 2015
  13. SEY
    sey Win User

I, too, had a sudden drastic internet slowdown on my Win 10 pro which has been running very, very smoothly since I moved up from Win 7 about 6 months ago. My internet is a 100 Mb download through cable and router. Two days ago, in the middle of of surfing the net, I suddenly lost my internet connection. When I managed to recover it, I was horrified by the slowdown. Speedtest showed me that from my usual 90-95 Mb download I was getting less than 1 Mb!!!!

So I started googling and after 2 days of trying all the suggested tricks/hacks/fixes, including a repair reinstall and tearing my hair out whilst cussing all concerned, I was desperate and so backed up all my files and prepared to do a clean install.

Suddenly it occurred to me that maybe it was a hardware glitch on my router, so I called the tech. service of my ISP and within minutes we had solved the problem very simply.

He told me to disconnect the router from the electricity and also the "cable" cable. After ten seconds I reconnected the "cable" and connected back to the electricity and Lo and behold my latest Speedtest tells me that I'm back to 97Mb download.

I'm not saying that this solution is right for everyone, but I am saying that we should always check the simple basics and ourselves first., before blaming the OS and/or Microsoft. I think perhaps being of the Analog Generation, I only look for nerdy/geeky solutions when I don't see the easy solution staring me in the face!*Huh
    I was aware that occasionally there can be a static electricity problem with the hardware and it simply has to be re-earthed, but I didn't think of that and rushed into all the geek "solutions".

K.I.S.S.

14. jimclevs Win User
    I have a HP 550-012a with a TP Link wi fi modem W8968 and I also got this very slow download speed all of a sudden. After some days rying to sort - without doing a clean install just in case I lost everything (I am over 70 and not the world's most tech person!) I came across this forum and the "fix" mentioned by Sey. I thought - why not give that a go - and proceeded to unplug every lead in and out of the modem and phone socket and electric wall socket. Replugged 2 minutes later and my download speed is now back up to what it should be ! Hopefully this dreamworld will last - seems too easy to me but we shall see ! Thank you, Sey !

jimclevs, Mar 31, 2016
  15. gadfly Win User
    hello,
    i have a dell n5110 i7 laptop. i can use wireless normally with other laptops, tablet and smartphones. but on this dell n5110 i have a very low speed i just can down load at 140 kb per second and at the time of downloading with this speed my whole wireless internet doesn't work on other laptops like at the moment i haven't internet on the others!!!! even on this dell when downloading at 140kb/s i can't even open a website. i update the network driver many times and it didn't work. either i haven't bluetooth on this laptop.
    anybody can help me? i don't want to roll back on windows 7. windows 7 wireless driver don't run on 10.
    thanks for helping....

gadfly, Aug 11, 2016
Thema:

1. VERY Slow Internet After Upgrade to 10 - Similar Threads - VERY Slow Internet

2. Internet is very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet is very slow: Hi, I'm using the latest version of Windows 10 Home, 22H2. I reinstalled it on Sunday, and it still doesn't fix my internet problem which I think started on Saturday. I visited one site my banking site, and it just shows a spinning "load" sign plus the MS Edge spinning blue...
  3. Internet is very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet is very slow: Hi, I'm using the latest version of Windows 10 Home, 22H2. I reinstalled it on Sunday, and it still doesn't fix my internet problem which I think started on Saturday. I visited one site my banking site, and it just shows a spinning "load" sign plus the MS Edge spinning blue...
  4. Internet is very slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Internet very slow

Internet very slow: My internet has been very slow but only on my laptop, i did the speedtest on my iphone and laptop and ping was 13 ms download was 12.87 mbps while on my iphone ping 25 ms and download 32 mbps. i deleted the network also rebooted my router and laptop still the same, my laptop...
  6. Very, very slow internet

Very, very slow internet: Good Morning For the past week I have been having problems with internet pages being very slow to load, having to be constantly refreshed to display the content and often not displaying the content at all despite repeated attempts. I have had my telephone line and...
  7. internet very slow

internet very slow: previous i use windows 7. i am jio wifi user. but after windows 10 internet is very slow? please give solution for me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-very-slow/d62d84c4-b418-4796-999a-7d0c1b6d09c1
  8. Very slow internet after upgrade to 64bit

Very slow internet after upgrade to 64bit: Hi, I just upgraded from Win 10 32 to Win 10 64 bit and my internet connection is very slow, about 20/30 kb/s. It was a fresh install, deleted everything and reinstalled from scratch. I have looked on the forums and cant find a solution that works, I've checked the network...
  9. Very slow internet speed since upgrade to 10

Very slow internet speed since upgrade to 10: Hi hope somebody can help. Since upgrading to windows 10 my internet speed on my Packard Bell PC has dropped to almost nothing, less than 1mb. Before upgrade it was around 76mb. All my other laptops, tablets etc are getting good wifi speeds. When I use a ethernet connection...
  10. Windows 10 upgrade - internet speed very slow

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 upgrade - internet speed very slow: I recently upgraded from W7 to W10 on my W7 laptop. The install went well, no problems to report. Since then my broadband speed has suffered badly. I've just tested the speed - the download speed is 1.6mbps and upload speed 0.29mbps. It's not just my laptop suffering,...