Windows 10: Very slow on file operrations

Discus and support Very slow on file operrations in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When copying files of any size, my system goes to 99% and then hangs there for about 10-30 seconds. Any operation causing a file rename has similar... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Guthrie, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Guthrie Win User

Very slow on file operrations

When copying files of any size, my system goes to 99% and then hangs there for about 10-30 seconds. Any operation causing a file rename has similar results.

To make things faster I changed my two internal disks (1TB, 2TB) both to SSD's, no change. Copying files to the machine from over the local network has no such issues.

I looked at many online complaints about slow disks, SSD's slow, etc, none relevant and I have tried all suggested remedies.

I realize this is pretty sparse information to diagnose on - any hints of how to drill-down for more details?

:)

Guthrie, Oct 28, 2019
  2. Mayra Aqu Win User

Updates slowing computer performance

Hi,

Listed below are possible causes why Windows is running slow:

• Too many application installed.
    • Virus and malware.
    • Corrupted system files.
    • Outdated drivers.

For us to assist you with the concern, we suggest following the steps on this
    article

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Mayra Aqu, Oct 28, 2019
  3. mbmeadows Win User
    Constant script errors and slow loading pages in 10 internet explorer 11

I have done the steps listed above. They have not helped and I am still getting constant script errors, along with slow loading pages. Are there any other suggestions?

mbmeadows, Oct 28, 2019
  4. Very slow on file operrations

"open with" and opening of files slow

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Have you made any changes on your computer, prior to this issue?

To fix issues with Word documents opening slowly, I suggest you to attach a different template to the document and check if that helps. Follow the below steps to attach a templates.

Steps:-

1. Open Word application.
    2. Click on File and select Options.
    3. Select Add-Ins from the list.
    4. Under Manage Select Templates and click on
      Go.
    5. In the pop up, type Normal in the Document template.
    6. Click on Ok.

To fix issues with Adobe files opening slowly follow the below troubleshooting steps and check if that helps.

Steps:-

1. Open Adobe application.
    2. Click on Edit.
    3. Select Preferences option.
    4. Tap on General.
    5. Uncheck Enable protected mode at startup.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Oct 28, 2019
Thema:

Very slow on file operrations

1. Very slow on file operrations - Similar Threads - Very slow file

2. File explorer working very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer working very slow: so when I want to open a folder on a solid state drive or hard drive, the name and thumbnail of the file disappear as in my attachment then "working on it" appears, then after that the file can be accessed. The steps i have done :Restart my laptopRestart Windows Explorer via...
  3. file explorer very slow / not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer very slow / not responding: file explorer very slow / not responding. takes for ever to come respond.done the clear cache,sfc check and options setingsno change.only started after the latest update....
  4. file explorer very slow / not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer very slow / not responding: file explorer very slow / not responding. takes for ever to come respond.done the clear cache,sfc check and options setingsno change.only started after the latest update....
  5. file transfer now very slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file transfer now very slow: File transfer now very slow even via the desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-transfer-now-very-slow/06df8794-a638-4393-8dad-73583053aa49
  6. Very slow show of files in Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very slow show of files in Explorer: Dear All, First post in this forum, thanks everybody in advance, and greetings from Switzerland. As the subject says, I have horribly slow performances when navigating in folders of my external drive (I copied the content in my fixed SDD and it doesn't change). Please check...
  7. File explorer/search very very very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File explorer/search very very very slow: Green search bar takes 10+ minutes to complete its progress across the bar .. working on it ... ..... it says - really i think!! Since 20H2 'update' the whole OS seems slow to respond and react, with all apps very slow - obviously suspect the file access an search as the...
  8. Opening audio files is very slow

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Opening audio files is very slow: Hi all, I've been facing this issue for the last year or so. I've been able to solve it once and now it came back. I'm running Windows 10 on Ryzen 3700x and Samsung SSD. All audio files which i'm trying to open is either not responding or takes at least a minute to open on...
  9. File manager very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File manager very slow: In the last week or so certain operations whilst using File Manager are going very slow. I'm using a fully updated version of Windows 10 on a PC. Opening a file manager window works okay, but clicking 'New Folder' takes 20 seconds for the folder to appear. Deleting a file to...
  10. Very, very, very, slow to open network share with many files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Very, very, very, slow to open network share with many files: I have a Win10 PC on my network with some shared directories, the "server". The share I use most has 23,000 files in 600 folders. When I access that share from a Win 7 PC it opens pretty much instantly, but to open it from my Win 10 PC takes for ever. The green progress bar...