Windows 10: Very slow POST process upon cold boot but fast reboots

Discus and support Very slow POST process upon cold boot but fast reboots in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Not 100% sure it's the operating system, but will give it a shot. MSI Titan GT80-SLI: from a cold boot, takes 4.5 minutes to get to Win10 login screen.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by dictum, Jul 30, 2019.

1. dictum Win User

Very slow POST process upon cold boot but fast reboots

Not 100% sure it's the operating system, but will give it a shot.
    MSI Titan GT80-SLI: from a cold boot, takes 4.5 minutes to get to Win10 login screen. A reboot takes 29 seconds. What's up?

I think it's something that hangs it before the operating system loads, am I correct?
    I optimized Win10 bootup as much as possible. Fast Boot disabled in BIOS. I looked at all the obvious things. The system is all SSD, it should fly and it does - when I reboot it. But a cold boot takes forever. Why such discrepancy?
    I get no errors during POST, it's just very slow.

:)

dictum, Jul 30, 2019
  2. GNJha Win User

Boot Process

Hi,

Please suggest me a link that can explain the boot process step by step of ...

• Windows 7,
    • Windows 8.1,
    • Windows 10,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 and
    • Windows Server 2012 R2

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, Jul 30, 2019
  3. Windows 8.1 Pro Slow When Restarting But Cold Boot Is Fast

Hi starvinmarvin, this is Techhelper89. I'm here to help.

Try the following troubleshooting steps:

Step 1: Disable Fast Startup and check if it works for you.

Fast startup is a new feature in Windows to help your PC start up faster after shutting down. When turned on, Windows does this by using a hybrid shutdown (a partial hibernate) method that saves only the kernel session and device drivers (system
    information) to hibernate (hiberfil.sys) file on disk instead of closing it when you shut down your PC.

Steps:

1. Press Windows + X key and click Control Panel.
    2. Click on Power options.
    3. Click on Choose what the power buttons do.
    4. Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable. If it prompts to click on yes, then click Yes.
    5. Uncheck Turn on fast startup (Recommended) under shutdown settings.
    6. Click Save changes to configure the settings.

The link I have found these steps from is slow restart problem -windows 10. (This is another post on the Microsoft Community.)

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks.

834e5206-26cf-43e1-a121-0fab5d3e1d44, Jul 30, 2019
  4. NaokoNM Win User

Fast Startup and Hibernate uses cold boot instead resuming

I installed Windows 8.1 a month ago. I love the 8.1 fast startup feature which is more reliable than 10’s fast startup. But lately, I noticed that my laptop boot slower and I checked that it does cold boot instead hiberboot/fast startup. And hibernate ends
    up as cold boot as well, bruh

how can I fix this ?

note: fast starup is turned on and powercfg /h on

NaokoNM, Jul 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Very slow POST process upon cold boot but fast reboots - Similar Threads - Very slow POST

2. Asks for Passwords on Cold Boot / Reboot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Asks for Passwords on Cold Boot / Reboot: Again, like dark theme by time, Android and iOS do this already, it's safer than allowing Windows Hello all the time. IIRC there is a Group Policy option for this(?), but this should be a function for all. Cheers. submitted by /u/loyukfai [link] [comments]...
  3. Very Slow Download But Fast Internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Very Slow Download But Fast Internet: Hello, I used to be able to download files at around 25MB/s now it went all the way down to 2MB/s and it takes me 2 hours to download just 7GB. I tested my internet speed and I get around 160 mbps so my internet should be at least faster than 2 MB/s. Does anyone know what I...
  4. Very slow logon process

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Very slow logon process: My laptop runs Windows 10 Home, version 1909, Build 18363.815. After last April Win10 updates, all of a sudden, the winlogon process has been changed fron seconds to minutes. Please advise....
  5. Very slow llogon process

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Very slow llogon process: My laptop runs Windows 10 Home, version 1909, Build 18363.815. After last April Win10 updates, all of a sudden, the winlogon process has been changed fron seconds to minutes. Please advise....
  6. Windows 10 fast boot, very slow reboot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 fast boot, very slow reboot: Before I enabled fast startup the boot took about 5mins and sometimes a lot more. Now after I enabled the fast startup it boots in about 10 seconds. Reboot takes more than 5 minutes. I've had this problem for 3 years. The slow part is the screen with Windows logo and rolling...
  7. Slow Cold Boot on SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow Cold Boot on SSD: Hi My problem is slow boot time on SSD (NVMe 960 EVO) for first boot but the warm boot is not bad! This happens after updating some drivers or Windows itself! Also i disabled SysMain service and not help. Is there a way to measure which driver take long time to boot or some...
  8. Windows 10 restarts very slow, but boot very fast

Windows 10 restarts very slow, but boot very fast: Yes, I have that famous bug of Wndows 10. When I shut down my PC, and then turn on it with the button of the case, the System boot very fast, like in15 seconds, but when I restarting the system, it delays like 2 minutes to restart (I talking from the Bios screen) But that...
  9. Slow warm boot & Fast cold boot

Slow warm boot & Fast cold boot: Hello, My Lenovo laptop is pretty fast at cold boot. It takes about 12 seconds from initial bios screen to desktop. On the other hand, warm boot is really slow. The same period takes about 51 seconds, involving a long black screen. Actually, it was similiar at...
  10. slow cold boot (sometimes)

slow cold boot (sometimes): Ok, have a Sabertooth x79/3930k and an Intel 750ssd 1.2tb. Sometimes on a cold boot it will take say 15 seconds to load to desktop and sometimes over double that 30 seconds or so. Also it warm boots consistently in the 30 second range. Any help to understand the cold...