Windows 10: Very slow response when opening programs and file explorer

Discus and support Very slow response when opening programs and file explorer in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When opening programs and shortcut to folders that are located on the task bar there is a several second delay before the program or folder opens. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MrAggromonkey, Sep 8, 2018.

1. MrAggromonkey Win User

Very slow response when opening programs and file explorer

When opening programs and shortcut to folders that are located on the task bar there is a several second delay before the program or folder opens. The delay is approx. 5 - 20 seconds. It doesn't happen all the time. I have searched the web and I used the command line SFC /Scannow, that did not solve the problem. This occurs even when opening first program. My machine specs are i3-4130 @ 3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3, SSD, AMD Radeon R7 240.

:)

MrAggromonkey, Sep 8, 2018
  2. BendeBesskó Win User

File Explorer is slow to open

My computer is not slow! All programs open very quickly. The only issue I have is with File Explorer.

BendeBesskó, Sep 8, 2018
  3. Arvind Ram Win User
    Change How Folders Open By Default (My laptop keeps using CMD)

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I suggest you to set File Explorer as the Default program and check if that helps. To do this, refer the steps given below.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Default Programs.
    • Look for File Explorer towards the left pane and select it.
    • Set this as default program and apply changes.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Sep 8, 2018
  4. SamMcSpadden Win User

Windows 10 file explorer very slow (working on it...) issue

This seemed to help. Time will tell. It certainly is more helpful and practical than the suggestion to end toe Explorer task and start a new one.

SamMcSpadden, Sep 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Very slow response when opening programs and file explorer - Similar Threads - Very slow response

2. Slow typing response in Internet Explorer and Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Slow typing response in Internet Explorer and Edge: I noticed that in IE 11 on Windows 8.1 that there was this slightly perceived typing lag when entering text in fields displayed in the browser. This lag would not be present in Chrome, Opera, and others... so that's what would make it noticeable. When you type fast, it is...
  3. Internet Explorer is very Slow...

in Browsers and Email
    Internet Explorer is very Slow...: When I first upgraded IE was OK but for some unknown it has become very slow. What can I look for? 28645
  4. File Explorer, very slow to load .exe files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer, very slow to load .exe files: Hi All, When I double click on an .exe file to install a program, in Windows File Explorer, it takes over a minute to start the installation process. When I use Total Commander to do the same thing, it installs straight away. I've also tried it after disabling my Norton AV...
  5. Very, very, very, slow to open network share with many files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Very, very, very, slow to open network share with many files: I have a Win10 PC on my network with some shared directories, the "server". The share I use most has 23,000 files in 600 folders. When I access that share from a Win 7 PC it opens pretty much instantly, but to open it from my Win 10 PC takes for ever. The green progress bar...
  6. File Explorer slow to open or will not open

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer slow to open or will not open: Quite often (60% of the time) clicking on Windows Explorer results in no action whether from the tool bar or from the Windows screen for a very long period of time. There is nothing showing to determine if there is a background program causing Explorer to wait. When it...
  7. File explorer --Very Slow for moving large number of small files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File explorer --Very Slow for moving large number of small files: Hi there If you have Loads (and I mean Loads) of small files - e-books, excel data. word docs, emails etc etc then File explorer runs REALLY slow on even fast devices I gave up moving this lot after about 4 hours. (W10 machine). Switched to Linux system -- did it in...
  8. Constant freezing, slow to open programs and files.

in Windows 10 Support
    Constant freezing, slow to open programs and files.: The title says it all. Constant freezing and slow to open programs - I'm talking about minutes not seconds. I have anti-virus and malware software working. Recently, downloaded latest Windows 10 update. Now it seems worse. But it was bad before that. Any suggestions? Thanks....
  9. Windows 10 File Explorer opens slow

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 File Explorer opens slow: This was few months ago, don't mind the text in the video, this was from another issue. 2017 02 03 15 44 16 1 - YouTube And this is now: 2017 04 23 10 00 04 - YouTube You definitely can see the difference, the os is installed on a 250gb Samsung SSD. Sometimes I don't...
  10. Windows Explorer slow in opening files and folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer slow in opening files and folders: Since a couple of weeks when I open a file or folder in my Windows Explorer i see for maybe a couple of seconds a wristwatch pointer appearing and disappearing before opening that file or folder. Not a big deal but annoying. Can anyone help me please? 103092

Users found this page by searching for:

1. files and programs opening very slow