Windows 10: Very slow response when opening programs and file explorer

Discus and support Very slow response when opening programs and file explorer in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When opening programs and shortcut to folders that are located on the task bar there is a several second delay before the program or folder opens. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MrAggromonkey, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Very slow response when opening programs and file explorer

When opening programs and shortcut to folders that are located on the task bar there is a several second delay before the program or folder opens. The delay is approx. 5 - 20 seconds. It doesn't happen all the time. I have searched the web and I used the command line SFC /Scannow, that did not solve the problem. This occurs even when opening first program. My machine specs are i3-4130 @ 3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3, SSD, AMD Radeon R7 240.

:)

MrAggromonkey, Sep 8, 2018

2. File Explorer is slow to open

My computer is not slow! All programs open very quickly. The only issue I have is with File Explorer.

BendeBesskó, Sep 8, 2018
  3. Change How Folders Open By Default (My laptop keeps using CMD)

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. I suggest you to set File Explorer as the Default program and check if that helps. To do this, refer the steps given below.

• Open Control Panel.
    • Search for Default Programs.
    • Go to Default Programs.
    • Look for File Explorer towards the left pane and select it.
    • Set this as default program and apply changes.
    • Check if the issue persists.

Hope this helps.

Arvind Ram, Sep 8, 2018
  4. Very slow response when opening programs and file explorer

Windows 10 file explorer very slow (working on it...) issue

This seemed to help. Time will tell. It certainly is more helpful and practical than the suggestion to end toe Explorer task and start a new one.

SamMcSpadden, Sep 8, 2018
Thema:

Very slow response when opening programs and file explorer

1. Very slow response when opening programs and file explorer - Similar Threads - Very slow response

2. FIle explorer slow when opening files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    FIle explorer slow when opening files: Hello everyone. Just recently out of the blue I have a file explorer issue. The file explorer works fine apart from when I want to attach a file on some website for example or just open a file in photoshop or opening files generally. I have noticed 3 iterations of this issue...
  3. FIle explorer slow when opening files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FIle explorer slow when opening files: Hello everyone. Just recently out of the blue I have a file explorer issue. The file explorer works fine apart from when I want to attach a file on some website for example or just open a file in photoshop or opening files generally. I have noticed 3 iterations of this issue...
  4. FIle explorer slow when opening files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. very slow response time to clicking in file explorer WINDOWS 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    very slow response time to clicking in file explorer WINDOWS 11: In Windows 10, interacting with folders by double clicking is usually lightning fast, however, when I installed Windows 11, the click delay is much more evident and it is very annoying to navigate files.Any fixes?...
  6. very slow response time to clicking in file explorer WINDOWS 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    very slow response time to clicking in file explorer WINDOWS 11: In Windows 10, interacting with folders by double clicking is usually lightning fast, however, when I installed Windows 11, the click delay is much more evident and it is very annoying to navigate files.Any fixes?...
  7. Very very slow response time

Very very slow response time: My dell Optiplex seems like it's unresponsive and sticking any suggestions?Thank youTIMMY https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/very-very-slow-response-time/291cdece-fd8f-4482-8966-1a4498db8542
  8. File explorer/search very very very slow

File explorer/search very very very slow: Green search bar takes 10+ minutes to complete its progress across the bar .. working on it ... ..... it says - really i think!! Since 20H2 'update' the whole OS seems slow to respond and react, with all apps very slow - obviously suspect the file access an search as the...
  9. slow opening response

slow opening response: Iv downloaded MS flight sim 2020 and upon opening it when I get to the "checking for updates" the program lags then stops. I did a speed test on my wi fi set up and the results are as follows Ping 1Ms Download 33.26 Mps upload is 7.83 Mps could anyone help me with this...
  10. File Explorer Extremely Slow or Not Responsive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Extremely Slow or Not Responsive: I have windows 10 and these issues occur when using file explorer, moving or managing files. A. File explorer takes minutes to open or won't open when clicked on this includes using the windows search bar and any icons on the computer. B. File explorer crashes often or is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. files and programs opening very slow