Windows 10: Very slow show of files in Explorer

Discus and support Very slow show of files in Explorer in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Dear All, First post in this forum, thanks everybody in advance, and greetings from Switzerland. As the subject says, I have horribly slow performances... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by sunseeker, May 16, 2021.

1. sunseeker Win User

Very slow show of files in Explorer

Dear All, First post in this forum, thanks everybody in advance, and greetings from Switzerland. As the subject says, I have horribly slow performances when navigating in folders of my external drive (I copied the content in my fixed SDD and it doesn't change). Please check the attached video to quickly understand. In this case, files are RAW images from a camera. In the "detail" view there's no need to show the thumbnail (that is not shown even if present). My version of Windows is Windows 10 1809 (build 18362.30), I have the same issue with 20H2 at work. Thanks again for your kind help. Enrico

:)

sunseeker, May 16, 2021

2. Windows 10 file explorer very slow (working on it...) issue

This seemed to help. Time will tell. It certainly is more helpful and practical than the suggestion to end toe Explorer task and start a new one.

SamMcSpadden, May 16, 2021
  3. razghost Win User
    File explorer slow/Never loading solution

Ok so since upgrading from 7 to 10 file explorer has been a absolute nightmare! Everything was either incredibly slow, didn't happen or only partially load. After enduring this to this day I have decided enough is enough and started diagnosing by limiting the startup services using MSconfig.

After going through enabling startup services groups at the time and restarting the computer everytime! Eventually I found the service that was causing the problems with file explorer. The service is called Windows search and once disabled it restored functionality to file explorer. The search function in file explorer works but the search in the taskbar doesn't.

Step by step guide:
    1. Hold Win+r to open run
    2. Type msconfig and hit ok or enter
    3. Click Services
    4. Navigate to Windows search (you can sort the list in descending alphabetical order)
    5. Uncheck tickbox
    6. Click apply then ok
    7. Select to restart now

Hope this works for you.

razghost, May 16, 2021
  4. Clint Win User

File explorer slow/Never loading solution

Thank you.

Clint, May 16, 2021
Thema:

1. Very slow show of files in Explorer - Similar Threads - Very slow show

2. File explorer, notepad, Photos - VERY SLOW

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer, notepad, Photos - VERY SLOW: Hi!I have a modern HP Spectre i7, 16gb ram and it used to work well until few months ago.For few months already whenever I try to open simple text file with notepad or mid size jpg image with photos it takes AGES to load usually I am waiting more than a minute with...
  3. File explorer, notepad, Photos - VERY SLOW

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer, notepad, Photos - VERY SLOW: Hi!I have a modern HP Spectre i7, 16gb ram and it used to work well until few months ago.For few months already whenever I try to open simple text file with notepad or mid size jpg image with photos it takes AGES to load usually I am waiting more than a minute with...
  4. File explorer working very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer working very slow: so when I want to open a folder on a solid state drive or hard drive, the name and thumbnail of the file disappear as in my attachment then "working on it" appears, then after that the file can be accessed. The steps i have done :Restart my laptopRestart Windows Explorer via...
  5. File explorer working very slow

File explorer working very slow: so when I want to open a folder on a solid state drive or hard drive, the name and thumbnail of the file disappear as in my attachment then "working on it" appears, then after that the file can be accessed. The steps i have done :Restart my laptopRestart Windows Explorer via...
  6. file explorer very slow / not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer very slow / not responding: file explorer very slow / not responding. takes for ever to come respond.done the clear cache,sfc check and options setingsno change.only started after the latest update....
  7. file explorer very slow / not responding

file explorer very slow / not responding: file explorer very slow / not responding. takes for ever to come respond.done the clear cache,sfc check and options setingsno change.only started after the latest update....
  8. File explorer/search very very very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File explorer/search very very very slow: Green search bar takes 10+ minutes to complete its progress across the bar .. working on it ... ..... it says - really i think!! Since 20H2 'update' the whole OS seems slow to respond and react, with all apps very slow - obviously suspect the file access an search as the...
  9. my pc Exploring file very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    my pc Exploring file very slow: my use windows 10 but pc was very slow the file expolring https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-exploring-file-very-slow/5690a333-42c4-45af-8c6a-cd8405889284
  10. File Explorer, very slow to load .exe files

File Explorer, very slow to load .exe files: Hi All, When I double click on an .exe file to install a program, in Windows File Explorer, it takes over a minute to start the installation process. When I use Total Commander to do the same thing, it installs straight away. I've also tried it after disabling my Norton AV...