Windows 10: Very Strange Media Creation Tool Problem

Discus and support Very Strange Media Creation Tool Problem in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a test bench case and have been upgrading some of my old Windows 7 licenses to get Windows 10's digital entitlement on a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DeaconFrost, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Very Strange Media Creation Tool Problem

I have a test bench case and have been upgrading some of my old Windows 7 licenses to get Windows 10's digital entitlement on a few motherboard/processor combos I am planning to sell soon. My first few went smoothly. However, on my last combo, I'm running in to an odd issue. It's an Intel DG33TL board with a Quad Core Q8200 on it. I've installed Windows 7 Pro x64 which seemed to have gone through okay, even activated with a legit license key. It was running fine and stable, so I shut it down for the night.

Two nights ago, I decide to boot it up to start the Windows 10 upgrade, and I noticed I was getting certificate errors in IE on every web page I visited, even Google.com. Every file I tried downloading failed, with an error code. I assumed something got corrupted, so I wiped the drive and reinstalled Windows 7. Same issues immediately after the install was complete. I ran the Windows memory diagnostic and that turned up nothing. I ran the SFC and it found no errors. I ran Memtest overnight and found no errors.

So, I figured I'd grab the Media Creation Tool from my flash drive and run that. It failed to run, giving me an error that "There was a problem running this tool" and an error code of 0x80072F8F - 0x2000. I'm seeing a long list of potential causes in my research, but just curious if anyone has come across this. I'm thinking of wiping the drive and installing 10, then activating with the 7 key.

**Forgot to mention no other software has been loaded. Once Windows 7 is installed and activated, I run the MCT.

:)

DeaconFrost, Jun 20, 2016
  2. la79 Win User

Windows 10 and Intel Pentium 4 630 3.0 GHz

So weird but today I checked my Windows Update availability and all of a sudden it says that it is ready to begin installing! I didn't use the ISO or the media creation tool. But very strange.

Thanks for all your help and advice!

3. PC not working after recent update

Hi friend! Don't want to step on your toes. I observed that the OP said they acquired the media creation tool, Just wondering if the media is right for that PC.(32 bit-64bit ect). Just a thought. Very strange that the partitions would not delete and gave
    a error code. Very strange!

You are appreciated my friend. I watch and learn from you every day!

I hope MS appreciates all you do here on the forum!

garybear89, Jun 20, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

Very Strange Media Creation Tool Problem

Are you trying to use 64 bit version of windows 10 installation iso on a 32bit wndows 7?

cereberus, Jun 20, 2016
  5. Try this:
    Reset CMOS
    Check the BIOS clock - set time correctly

Boot Windows
    Disable automatic Time Server update
    Set Time and Timezone correctly
    Set Time server to NIST
    Manually sync time
    Enable automatic Time Server update

If that doesn't help, try running Windows Update troubleshooter

Slartybart, Jun 20, 2016
  6. I'm not using an .iso at all. I'm using the Media Creation Tool. In fact, it is the same file I've used on dozens of computers already. The Windows 7 install is 64 bit. Same process I've repeated all those times.

7. You may be on to something. I noticed during one of the installs, as it finished, that the time zone was correct, but the time was off by 3 hours 30 mins. It was late and I didn't check the BIOS.

8. NavyLCDR New Member

That would definitely do it. I was playing Steam games on cruise and had to keep my date set back on my laptop to keep Steam running. When we pulled into port, I was having the same issues described until I changed the laptop to the current local date/time. Then when we left port, I had to lock the computer down to the date/time we left so Steam would keep working. Could not connect my personal laptop to the internet onboard ship.

NavyLCDR, Jun 20, 2016
  9. It was the time and date. I reset the CMOS, then booted in to the BIOS to correct the time. I'm not sure what it was before, but clearing the CMOS set it back to 1/1/2006. With the correct time, I was able to boot back in to Windows 7 without any weird issues, and upgrade to 10. Something to look out for when using older equipment!

DeaconFrost, Jun 21, 2016
  10. Good news Deacon or should that be Good news Mr. Frost *Smile

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Very Strange Media Creation Tool Problem - Similar Threads - Very Strange Media

2. Problems with the Media Creation Tool.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with the Media Creation Tool.: Split from this thread. I've downloaded the media creation tool, watched it check for issues, make file changes. It tells me it's going to restart my computer several times, but only does that once and then the process stops. Have I done something incorrectly or might there...
  3. Problems with the Media Creation Tool.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with the Media Creation Tool.: Split from this thread. I've downloaded the media creation tool, watched it check for issues, make file changes. It tells me it's going to restart my computer several times, but only does that once and then the process stops. Have I done something incorrectly or might there...
  4. problem using media creation tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    problem using media creation tool: I have tried unsuccessfully to create a windows 10 USB boot drive. I keep getting the following error: 0x0200013-0x90019. Please advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-using-media-creation-tool/0f5bb36a-03bc-4d03-8d95-dcc215cc73a0
  5. Problem with Microsoft Media Creation Tool

Problem with Microsoft Media Creation Tool: Is there something wrong with Microsoft’s Media Creation Tool? Thrice I have tried to download the Windows 10 ISO, and each time, after almost 18 hours had elapsed and the progress of the download had neared completion, the following message kept popping up: There was a...
  6. Windows media creation tool problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows media creation tool problem: Hello peeps,Ive had this problem where i would open the media creation tool,choose upgrade this PC and it would download,i left it to download and i looked and it was on 98% and i looked away for a bit looked back and i think it completed but it just shut down,no errors or...
  7. Problems with Media Creation Tool

Problems with Media Creation Tool: Trying to setup Media Creation Tool...have used previously but now it will not 'install/setup' per attached jpg ? What could I be doing wrong here... ? Trying to do repair install of my Win 10 Pro 64bit system... Thanks....TiminAz 68219
  8. media creation tool problem

media creation tool problem: hello i want to upgrade my pc to win 10 when i want to download from media creation tool , after choosing upgrade this pc [img] please help me and thank you 9502
  9. Media Creation Tool Problems

Media Creation Tool Problems: Hi, Hope someone can help here. More Windows 10 s**t that is driving me mad! D/loaded the media creation tool hoping to put Win 10 on a USB to repair my daughters Win 10 installation on an ASUS eeePC (no optical drive). Running the tool on a Win 7 Home pc (64-bit)...
  10. Problem with the Media creation tool

Problem with the Media creation tool: I download the Windows image twice via the media creation tool. The file sizes though same, had different hashes(SHA1). If the images are identical, why the different hashes. Needless to say, the hashes don't obviously match with their MSDN counterpart. Why is this...