Windows 10: Very strange Windows 10 & File Explorer behavior

Discus and support Very strange Windows 10 & File Explorer behavior in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Sometimes, when editing/changing a file name in File Explorer the blinking vertical bar cursor does not appear invisible, so I have to use the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Glutenus Maximus, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Very strange Windows 10 & File Explorer behavior

Sometimes, when editing/changing a file name in File Explorer the blinking vertical bar cursor does not appear invisible, so I have to use the Backspace key in Edit mode to tell where the cursor is located.

Even more bizarre, some times when saving a file to an already created/active folder, Windows 10 will instead take an open file in another app, e.g. an Excel spreadsheet file, will create a folder with that file name including the *.xlsm part, and then save the file initially designated to be saved into that folder, which it creates inside the originally designated save folder.

Both these issues are intermittent. Is my computer haunted? No viruses detected.

BTW, I have run SFC and DISM, but the problem persists.

Any suggestions short of re-installing Windows would be very welcome.

Windows 10 64bit Professional ver.1903

Desktop PC: less than 6 months old and not overclocked.

MSI MPG Z390 Motherboard

Intel i9-9900K CPU

ASUS RTX 2080 Ti GPU

32GB DDR4 RAM

1TB SSD

2 x 6TB WD internal HDDs

:)

Glutenus Maximus, Feb 16, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 16, 2020
  3. File explorer not searching in This PC

Hi George,

I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

I suggest you to reset Windows explorer and check the behavior.

Please follow the steps:

• Right click on the task Bar and select Task Manager.

• Select Processes tab.

• Choose windows explorer and right click on it.

• Select end task

• Click on file menu and select run new task.

• Type explorer.exe

• Click on ok.
    Hope this helps in resolving the issue with Windows Explorer. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Feb 16, 2020
  4. Very strange Windows 10 & File Explorer behavior

Windows 10 File Explorer crashes strangely when resized

Hi,

Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

This might be a temporary issue on your computer.

I suggest you to sign-in out from the current user account, restart the computer, sign-in and check if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, try few of the troubleshooting steps below and check if it helps.

Step : Run System Maintenance Troubleshooter

System Maintenance troubleshooter finds and clean up unused files and shortcuts and performs maintenance tasks.

Follow the steps given below:

• Type Troubleshooting in the Search box from the desktop.

• Select the Troubleshooting option.

• Select View All option and select the
      System Maintenance

• Click on Next to perform the System Maintenance troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Step 2: End the Windows Explorer process and create the new one.

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc, under Process
      tab, search for Windows Explorer.
    • Right click on it and click on End task.
    • Click on File in the Task Manager
      at top left corner of the window and select Run new task.
    • Type explorer.exe and click on Ok.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of accessing File Explorer for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 16, 2020
Thema:

Very strange Windows 10 & File Explorer behavior

1. Very strange Windows 10 & File Explorer behavior - Similar Threads - Very strange File

2. Strange behavior with windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange behavior with windows 10: I have an HP SFF PC running on Windows 10 and I am unable to utilize the "Windows" icon or even type into the taskbar. I also experience a 3, 15, 1064 error code when attempting to sign into my google account. I AM able to sign into my Google Account from Chrome, but it is...
  3. Strange behavior with windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange behavior with windows 10: I have an HP SFF PC running on Windows 10 and I am unable to utilize the "Windows" icon or even type into the taskbar. I also experience a 3, 15, 1064 error code when attempting to sign into my google account. I AM able to sign into my Google Account from Chrome, but it is...
  4. Strange behavior with windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Strange Windows 10 behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange Windows 10 behavior: I just assembled my first gaming PC with AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Radeon RX6900xt, 16GB RAM and Samsung 1TB SSD. I am experiencing a strange behavior. After playing for about 2 hours, the background windows that were open while I was playing the game started malfunction. The top...
  6. BitLocker - Very Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BitLocker - Very Strange Behavior: I use BitLocker to lock several external USB drives connected to my various PCs for backup purposes. All of these drives are the same Samsung SSD model T7 2TB. All of my PCs are running the 20H2 version of Windows 10 Pro with the latest updates. BitLocker recently started...
  7. Very strange folder behavior. File sorting problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Very strange folder behavior. File sorting problem: Hello, Here is a video of the problem: [media] It actually shows 2 problems but I fixed the second one. Now I'm trying to fix the sorting problem. Please help! 174145
  8. Very hot laptop and strange CPU behavior

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Very hot laptop and strange CPU behavior: Hello, I have an asus laptop that uses the Intel Core i7 4750HQ CPU never had any problems. -I recently had a problem with the HD and decided to install a new SSD with a new Windows installation and install the old HDD simultaneously using a caddy. -A few days later I...
  9. Strange Behavior Windows 10 Explorer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Strange Behavior Windows 10 Explorer: Ever since the update Build 19555.rs_preelease.200127-0900 I have had a strange issue. while working with Windows Explorer. There is a delay when I perform actions like: Add or Delete a folder or file; Rename a folder or file; Move or Copy a file from one folder to another....
  10. Strange file saving behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange file saving behavior: Weird stuff. *Mad All of a sudden I cannot save files to my HD that were scanned though Adobe Acrobat 5.0 (Distiller). The files scan fine but when I try to save them from Acrobat 5 to the HD it says file cannot be saved. Things were working fine last month. I CAN save it...