Windows 10: VERY tricky one

Discus and support VERY tricky one in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I got help here recently, and I hope the kind people on this site can help me again. I bought a used computer with Windows 10 a couple of months ago.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by verylowtech, Sep 2, 2019.

1. VERY tricky one

I got help here recently, and I hope the kind people on this site can help me again.

I bought a used computer with Windows 10 a couple of months ago. It's an HP 8100 Elite SFF. The HDD is 320 GB. It only had 4 GB RAM, so I added another 8.

Well. The computer - and I have no idea why - suddenly started hanging up every 10 or 15 seconds. This happened in all programs. Generally, when working, I only use Word and three browser windows (Firefox). I have a 4 TB external drive, and the HDD has very little on it, so it's not a matter of memory.

I did discover that although the computer now has 12 GB RAM, it was only using about 3 GB. After searching, I found this site with suggestions on how to increase RAM usage:

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/fix-windows-10-100-disk-usage-in-task-manager.html

I used the fourth "fix". BIG mistake. The computer is now stuck in an endless cycle of restarting. Today, I tried doing a clean install of Windows 10. Not even THAT worked. I haven't the slightest idea how to get the thing to work again - I can't get into Safe Mode from BIOS, and changing the boot order from HDD to USB didn't work either. I'm completely baffled.

:)

verylowtech, Sep 2, 2019
  2. WEETJE Win User

BSOD while using bittorrent

I will do it this evening or tomorrow! I have read that it is a little bit tricky to update your BIOS. Any recommendations? Should I back-up my files, my register and my systemfiles on an external drive before I start? I this a good step-by-step manual? How to Update Your BIOS | PCWorld

WEETJE, Sep 2, 2019
  3. mharran Win User
    Windows 10 replaced Recent Folders with Quick Access. how to change 10 to 20?

For anyone still struggling with this, here is a step by step guide to

• Adding Recent Folders back to Quick Access (easy)
    • Getting Recent Folders to appear in Save As dialogs (tricky, needs registry modifactions, not to attempted unless you are comfortable modifying the Registry)
    Restoring Recent Folders (Dragonblogger.com)

mharran, Sep 2, 2019
  4. bsta Win User

VERY tricky one

Shift key doesn't always work

Thanks.

No USB keyboard. the onscreen one works okay. that's what i use in a pinch if i really need a questionmark or an 2222222222222222222222222222222222 at symbol.

I tried the drivers already. No go. I agree that taking it apart and checking connections is the logical next step. I've done it before with past laptops. I do what you suggested in watching someone else on youtube do it first so I know where the tricky screws and cables are first. Blah

bsta, Sep 2, 2019
Thema:

VERY tricky one

1. VERY tricky one - Similar Threads - VERY tricky

2. My W10 works very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My W10 works very slow: I tried all the official suggestions and suggestions in threads that didn't fix it. A restart seems to be my last option. Do I need to have an activation code and do I need installation means? Any help is appreciated....
  3. How do I get rid of the VERY annoying screen flash, blat, and cursor jump in W10

How do I get rid of the VERY annoying screen flash, blat, and cursor jump in W10: How do I get rid of the VERY annoying screen flash, blat, and cursor jump that occurs randomly ( often ) in every one of my W10 installs. I have turned off everything connected with notifications and yet this still occurs. Frankly this is driving me nuts! I can be in the...
  4. I am very board with my computer showing every thing in black & white.

in Windows 10 Customization
    I am very board with my computer showing every thing in black & white.: My windows 10 changed into a black & white for colors I want my colors back! My task bar has stopped being transparent. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-am-very-board-with-my-computer-showing-every/da13b5d0-bc15-4386-b73e-bbb31ddda220
  5. Microsoft Security Essentials Suddenly Started Doing Very Short Scans

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Security Essentials Suddenly Started Doing Very Short Scans: I updated Microsoft Security Essentials this morning and immediately performed a Quick Scan, but it only took a matter of seconds and reported that it had scanned just 19 items. It would normally scan tens-of-thousands of items on a computer that hasn't been formatted for...
  6. Windows 10 Start Menu is very slow to open? Make it faster!

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Start Menu is very slow to open? Make it faster!: [ATTACH] [IMG]If your Start Menu in Windows 10 opens slowly, lags or even stutters and you would like to make Windows 10 Start Menu faster; then this post will be able to help you. Windows 10 includes animations which make opening [...] This post Windows 10 Start Menu is...
  7. WIndows 10 laptop very often needs reboot with battery removal after uopdate.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIndows 10 laptop very often needs reboot with battery removal after uopdate.: I have had this problem with my old laptop - vintage 2009 Asus with Nvidia GTX 260M, for a while. The problem is after most updates the display sometime becomes black and unresponsive. Sometime only the individual application screen becomes black, the borders are sill...
  8. Very frequent game crashes, occasional bluescreens in Dota 2 with new

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Very frequent game crashes, occasional bluescreens in Dota 2 with new: Sorry for long post, but I am desperate for a solution to an issue I know from experience to be very time-consuming. I replaced all but the case and GPU in my PC and made fresh Windows 10 installation on new SSD. The aforementioned crashes ONLY happen in Dota 2 (granted the...
  9. Installing device driver as a package for the very first time

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Installing device driver as a package for the very first time: How are we installing device driver as a package, for the very first time so is not listed in device manager, and only has .inf .cat, .sys and dll file type in it ? 140415
  10. Very slow (hours) to boot on clean install

Very slow (hours) to boot on clean install: Hello I have been having this problem even before I managed to install Windows 10. Initially I downloaded using Windows Media Creation Tool a copy of Windows 10 onto a USB, and booting from this was taking 15 minutes+ regularly. I'm not quite sure how but after formatting...