Windows 10: Very, very, very, slow to open network share with many files

Discus and support Very, very, very, slow to open network share with many files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Win10 PC on my network with some shared directories, the "server". The share I use most has 23,000 files in 600 folders. When I access that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by thermocycler, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Very, very, very, slow to open network share with many files

I have a Win10 PC on my network with some shared directories, the "server". The share I use most has 23,000 files in 600 folders. When I access that share from a Win 7 PC it opens pretty much instantly, but to open it from my Win 10 PC takes for ever. The green progress bar creeps across the top of the window, it can take 10, 15 minutes or more *Shock Seems like it's indexing it or something.

I changed the Win 10 PC from hard wired to wifi for direct comparison to the Win 7 laptop - made no difference.

I disabled "Large Send Offload" on the "server" and that has sped up transfer of large files, but has done nothing to speed up the initial problem. No issue with Win 7 clients, so I think it has to be a Win 10 setting?

:)

thermocycler, Jul 30, 2016

2. worried very much

This is exactly what happened to my son's computer, when he upgraded to Win 10 his computer crashed and it has not worked since he installed Win 10 on the first day it was made available. I suspect it has destroyed the hard drive. When he turns it on the
    only thing that works is the fan inside the computer and that's it. This is a very expensive gaming computer, Microsoft please help!

Very very very concerned, Jul 30, 2016
  3. 3 year old PC not supported by Windows 10

I just spent an entire day, with the help of an IT buddy, finding out that my tower PC is no longer supported by Windows 10. For weeks I've been bombarded with updates and reminders about upgrading to Windows 10, ver 1609, but each time I upgrade I get
    a black screen around the 75% upgrade complete mark - and I'm forced to back-out to the previous version of Windows 10. Twice a day I'm forced to close an automatic upgrade cause I know its going to fail. Today I took the chance to use Windows 10 Assistant
    - assuming that because of all the issues I've been reading about, MS finally creates something we all can use. Turns out, it fails AGAIN! Only this time, I can't back-out to a previous version....my PC goes into a continues loop of rebooting. Literally
    10hrs later and I'm forced install Windows 8.1 and I'm still working no re-installing all my programs, configuring my system and loading backed-up data.

Never again Microsoft, this was the last straw - you've lost a customer forever....but I'm sure you don't give a crap about one customer - its clear in your product and support.

Very very very unhappy, Jul 30, 2016
  4. Very, very, very, slow to open network share with many files

Disabled Windows Defender and Firewall - no improvement *Sad

thermocycler, Aug 1, 2016
Thema:

Very, very, very, slow to open network share with many files

1. Very, very, very, slow to open network share with many files - Similar Threads - Very very very

2. Excel file open in shared folder in a local very slow

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Excel file open in shared folder in a local very slow: Hi MS supoport,Files in shared folder in local network file especially excel is very slow. Other file formats in the local network no issue.Had tried to open in excel in normal folder also no issue. All the user has been given the access right accordingly.Can help to advice...
  3. File Share server access very slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Share server access very slow: Hello all, Since a week ago my File Share server has been slow to open the "root" folder. Opening a folder via the path in the explorer is immediate. Anyone with this problem? This only happens with Windows 10, when I try to access File Share through a Windows Server, it's...
  4. File Share server access very slow

in Windows 10 Support
    File Share server access very slow: Hello all, Since a week ago my File Share server has been slow to open the "root" folder. Opening a folder via the path in the explorer is immediate. Anyone with this problem? This only happens with Windows 10, when I try to access File Share through a Windows Server, it's...
  5. File explorer/search very very very slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File explorer/search very very very slow: Green search bar takes 10+ minutes to complete its progress across the bar .. working on it ... ..... it says - really i think!! Since 20H2 'update' the whole OS seems slow to respond and react, with all apps very slow - obviously suspect the file access an search as the...
  6. Opening audio files is very slow

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Opening audio files is very slow: Hi all, I've been facing this issue for the last year or so. I've been able to solve it once and now it came back. I'm running Windows 10 on Ryzen 3700x and Samsung SSD. All audio files which i'm trying to open is either not responding or takes at least a minute to open on...
  7. very, very slow performance

very, very slow performance: Hi, I'm asking for my sister. she has a computer that responds very, very slowly if it does respond at all. She has a Compaq-Presario running Windows 10 Pro, ver. 1903, OS build 18362.720, upgraded on 8/28/2019 ; 1.99GB memory, with Pentium Dual 2 core CPU E2160 at 1.8GHz...
  8. Very very slow computer

Very very slow computer: My laptop Dell Inspiron 13 5000 series became very very slow in running all applications etc since last 2 weeks. It started after installing few window updates. How to get out of it. Please help....
  9. Very, very slow internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Very, very slow internet: Good Morning For the past week I have been having problems with internet pages being very slow to load, having to be constantly refreshed to display the content and often not displaying the content at all despite repeated attempts. I have had my telephone line and...
  10. Very slow to show files in folder with many files

in Windows 10 Support
    Very slow to show files in folder with many files: I have a big problem. I have a NAS with some folders containing many movies, in one 1.000 and in the other over 2.000, and every time I go to open the folder windows 10 takes a long to see them all files, especially put them in order of date or size There the way to solve it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shared folder slow to open when many files

2. windows 10 slow file access on network some folders