Windows 10: Vexing BSOD after W10 install despite working in safe mode and W7

Discus and support Vexing BSOD after W10 install despite working in safe mode and W7 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; A friend, who built this Cooler Master computer for gaming, gave it to me and said I could use it now. He ran Windows 7 and it seemed to run fine. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by dpark, Jul 9, 2020.

1. dpark Win User

Vexing BSOD after W10 install despite working in safe mode and W7

A friend, who built this Cooler Master computer for gaming, gave it to me and said I could use it now. He ran Windows 7 and it seemed to run fine. I put W10 on it and it randomly blue screens, (giving me the KMODE_Exception...), the length of time before restarting really varying (right after startup or perhaps 10-15 min later).

Zipped log info files:

My computer restarted twice while writing this so the second link is the most recent. I switched computers to be able to finish the post and avoid more restarts which were looming...
    1) Dropbox - DESKTOP-LFNIJQU-(2020-07-09_11-44-34).zip - Simplify your life
    2) Dropbox - DESKTOP-LFNIJQU-(2020-07-09_12-02-12).zip - Simplify your life

The internet alludes to graphics cards being a potential issue. So, I originally used his Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB GDDR5 ( Robot Check but decided to uninstall it (don't need that power anyway as I am not a gamer) and use my antiquated graphics card (Radeon X300/550). Doing so seems to give me more time before crashes. But they still happen frequently, so this doesn't seem to be the solution. I also uninstalled as much of the original graphics drivers and software as I could before using my legacy card.

What have I done so far to troubleshoot?
    1) Freshly installed W10 again. Some of the earlier installs had hiccups because the machine randomly restarted when it before the install was finished. But the most recent install worked well and I thought I might be out of the woods, but no
    2) Downloaded and installed all the recommended drivers from the ASRock website for W10, 64bit PC.
    3) Am up to date on Windows Update.
    For #2 and #3, I feel lucky to have been able to do those as each time, I didn't know if it would restart before the process completed. I think it did restart during the Windows Update process at least once but I got everything updated eventually.
    4) I reset the BIOS to defaults, both from within the BIOS and then also by holding the "CLR CMOS" button on the back. I don't think overclocking was an issue, but regardless, all are back to defaults now.
    5) I reinstalled Windows 7 on another hard drive, and I got that to work just fine. No restarts once it is up and running.
    6) I have run safe mode while in W10 and the computer does NOT have this restart problem. Or, perhaps I didn't wait long enough? But it's been at least 30 min and it hadn't done so. I suppose I could leave it on all day to make sure that safe mode really does work...
    7) I have done the memtest multiple times without issues reported.
    8) I tried a system restore to before I installed the wireless adapter (it seemed to last pretty long then). MISTAKE - failed to properly restore and now its unusable. It barely gets past the BIOS screen and gives me a blue screen "PNP detected Fatal Error". All attempts to repair fail, even a reinstallation. I was attempting to write down which w10 version I was using, so assume that it was the most recent (I created the USB from the MSFT website within the past couple days, and updated it using windows update).

As I said earlier, this was given to me by someone who built this machine, and I think the computer is put together correctly now. I had to put back in the power supply and drives and graphics card. I plugged in the two power cords to the motherboard (large 20 pin and an 8-pin), attached power and sata cords to the drive, and got the fans working. Clearly, it runs fine with W7, but did I misplace a plug in the motherboard? Did I use the wrong sata port on the board for the drive I am booting from? Those seem unlikely to me given that the machine works fine in W7 and partially works in W10 (besides the restarts).

I am out of ideas and perplexed. If you have ideas I'd love to hear them.

:)

dpark, Jul 9, 2020
  2. tammoore Win User

W10 install from w7

I have repeatedly tried to install W10 on one of my machines (the others went fine). Since July, despite trying options like W10 only, save nothing, the software refuses to complete the install.

the error code is 80080002-20009 error in creating roll back.

Can I reformat the C:\ drive and boot ISO from DVD to work around this? How do I convert my W7 CD key to a vaild W10 key?

Or am I destined to have W7 running forever on my best computer?

tammoore, Jul 9, 2020
  3. radorn Win User
    Windows Update stalls in fresh W7 install after W10 upgrade. and more things

New user here.
    Thanks in advance for your attention and sorry if this was answered already, but I couldn't seem to find it, so here it is.

In the last few days I've had 2 problems with Windows 7 SP1 after a fresh install of W7 and upgrade to W10 in a separate disk that I later just scrapped.
    After that, my current W7 installation in a different disk stopped booting and couldn't be fixed and now a fresh install of W7 just won't get updates.

So, here's how I did it.
    I have a W7 installation on a 1tb HD, which is my main daily use system. It worked correctly. I have also an SSD that I bought with the intention of using as system disk for speed.
    I read that MS uses HWIDs to keep track of whether you can use win10 or not, so I did a fresh install of W7 on that SSD (other disks disconnected so they wouldn't be "touched" by W10 just yet) and then proceeeded to upgrade to W10 from there.
    All went fine, W10 installed, I tried it, disliked it and just reconnected the older 1TB drive with my main W7 installation and started using that again. scrapped the files I was interested in keeping from my adventure in win10 from the SSD and erased it. This was about 5 days ago

Now, after using my old W7 for that time, yesterday it just wouldn't boot again. It gives up during the logo screen (the 4 colored light balls that form the glowing windows logo don't even appear) and boots into the emergency repair screen. I tried the automatic repair, the sfc program, system restore. nothing worked.
    I must say that I performed several updates and also a number of driver installs (Intel Matrix and Jmicron IDE/SATA), in addition to the w10 try-out, and intially I had no doubt that these were the culprit, but now I'm suspecting something else, because:

Now I've done a new fresh install of W7 SP1 Ultimate x64 (X17-59465) and windows update won't work. At first it says it needs to update the update client/agent, and apparently that succeeds, but when I try to get more updates after that it just doesn't seem to get anywhere. I've left it for more than 1 hour and it just keeps saying "Checking for updates...", the progress bar rolls and nothing happens.

Question is. Since I updated to W10 with this hardware and didn't perform the rollback, could it be that I'm considered W10-bound by MS's servers or something like that? If that's the case, what can I do?
    If not, any other ideas?

Also, suggestions on possible ways to recover the older installation where I still have plenty of stuff I want to recover. Not just files, as these are easy to scavenge, but stuff buried within the system that can only be extracted from within the running system, or are much easier to do that way.

radorn, Jul 9, 2020
  4. Vexing BSOD after W10 install despite working in safe mode and W7

W7 access of W10 share

On my home network W10 systems can access shares on other W10 systems, and W10 can access W7 shares. However, when W7 tries to access a W10 share, it wants a network password. I give it the user/pswd I use to log in on the W10 but that doesn't help.

I found one place:
    Cannot access Shared folder in Windows 10 via Windows 7 PC
    that suggested setting HKLM...Lsa\restrictanonymous to 1
    but that didn't seem to help.

TIA!

Paul Kinzelman, Jul 9, 2020
Thema:

Vexing BSOD after W10 install despite working in safe mode and W7

1. Vexing BSOD after W10 install despite working in safe mode and W7 - Similar Threads - Vexing BSOD W10

2. Problem with installing w10 on w7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with installing w10 on w7: Hi All,During installation of the w10, I am facing the following error message, and I am trying every suggestions of this website but seems doesn't work for me.I would appreciate to take a look and give me some hints.It should be noted that my w7 is original and have valid...
  3. Installation Failure W7 - W10

Installation Failure W7 - W10: Laptop couldn't install W10, set back to previous state W7Pro. Failure code 0x800707E7-OX3000D. The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation. Is anyone familiar with this?...
  4. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  5. Upgrade to W10 from W7 re-installed in Legacy mode

Upgrade to W10 from W7 re-installed in Legacy mode: After a HD crash last year, a repair center reinstalled W7 in BIOS mode even though this PC is new enough to support UEFI. There is no more recovery partition. With no W7 DVD to reinstall properly, can I upgrade to W10, either using an ISO I made last year or purchasing a new...
  6. W7 or W10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    W7 or W10: Hi everyone, I have got W10 for a while. Now I have upgraded my PC. But, Lots of part of the motherboard / sound, graphic / can't work properly, because their drivers were writing for W7. Under W10 they just work on basic level. The issue about the compatibility makes lags...
  7. Installers written for W7 - on W10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installers written for W7 - on W10?: Hi all *Smile I am thinking of building a 64-bit W10 machine; I currently use 64-bit W7. I remember going from W98 to XP, it was impossible to install many (all?) w98 apps in XP, until the sw dev came out with a new installer compatible with XP. Same with XP to Vista....
  8. Images with padlock after Clean install of W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Support
    Images with padlock after Clean install of W10 from W7: Hi! I ran in a little issues there. I made a clean install from W7 to W10 and copied all pictures to external HDD(Just in case of I f* up installation and format wrong partition) and on local partition, now on fresh w10 they are with padlock symbol and I can't access them...
  9. W10 Safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 Safe mode: I have been told that you can enter Safe Mode in W10 by holding the Shift key at startup and tapping the F8 key, do you know if this is correct? (I had a crash after holding he shift key so didn't get any further) 34008
  10. How to revert to W7 when can only get into W10 safe mode?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to revert to W7 when can only get into W10 safe mode?: Long story short, W10 doesn't support my built in Intel video chip and there is no driver and W10 wont let me load Windows Basic Video driver so I need to go back to W7. I can only get into Safe Mode so I don't see how to do the reversal. Windows.old exists. How do I get the...