Windows 10: VHD in Disk Management

Discus and support VHD in Disk Management in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I was looking in Disk management in Win 8.1 and under the "action tab", there is a choice to; Create VHD. I can't get a shot of it to show a snip.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by COMPUTIAC Guest, Oct 2, 2014.

1. VHD in Disk Management

I was looking in Disk management in Win 8.1 and under the "action tab", there is a choice to;
    Create VHD.
    I can't get a shot of it to show a snip.
    Has anyone used this ? Would this be safe to install Win 10 with ?

:)

COMPUTIAC Guest, Oct 2, 2014

2. fragmented disk image

Hi Brandon,

VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) is a file that represents a virtual hard drive and contains what is normally found on a physical hard disk drive. You can try to mount the VHD images to extract and recover the file by following the steps below:

• Right-click on Start Menu and select Disk Management.
    • On the Disk Management window, click Action and select
      Attach VHD.
    • Click Browse, navigate to and select the VHD file, click
      Open
      , then OK.
    • You can now proceed to browse, copy and open files from the mounted VHD.

Note: You may have to mount all VHD files to extract a single disk image file from it.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Adrianne Buc, Oct 2, 2014
  3. fg2001 Win User
    I cannot restore any system image which was created in Windows 10 v1709 using Backup and Restore.

Sounds right.

Disk Management

Action

Attach VHD

Assign a letter and you have access to a virtual disk for the volume you are trying to recover.

Detach the VHD once you are done.

fg2001, Oct 2, 2014
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

VHD in Disk Management

Hey COMPUTIAC,

I'm not sure how you were planning on installing Windows 10, but you could mount it's ISO file to be able to open it like a drive to click on the setup.exe file to install where you like.

ISO Images - Mount or Unmount

If you were wanting to create a VHD to boot Windows 10 from, then you could use the same method below, but just substitute Windows 10 for Windows 8 in the tutorial.

Windows 8 VHD - Create at Boot to Dual Boot with

Hope this helps. *Smile

Brink, Oct 2, 2014
  5. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Oct 2, 2014
  6. Superfly Win User
    How about using DISM to apply install.wim to the VHD then bcdboot pointing at the VHD for dual boot?

Dism /apply-image /imagefile:C:\Install.wim /index:1 /ApplyDir:V:\

bcdboot V:\

Superfly, Oct 2, 2014
  7. I started with thinking a VHD and dual booting would be the way to go, but ended up installing in a VM - native Windows Hyper-V
    Hyper-V Getting Started Guide
    Install Hyper-V and Configure a Virtual Machine
    Install and Configure Virtual Machines on Hyper-V
    Step-By-Step: Enabling Hyper-V for use on Windows 8.1 - Canadian IT Professionals - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

I wish I had taken the time to search for those links before starting - but what fun would that have been?

Your machine has to be capable of Virtualization and it has to be enabled
    - check your specs or your BIOS (InsydeH2O bios on my HP referred to it as SVM)

Hyper-V has to be turned on in Windows (turn Windows features on/off - Pgm & Feat)

The only real difficulty I had was getting my WLAN to work in the VM.
    see: https://www.tenforums.com/installatio...r-v-win10.html

Slartybart, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

VHD in Disk Management

1. VHD in Disk Management - Similar Threads - VHD Disk Management

2. VHD Virtual Hard Disk uses space from C: disk??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    VHD Virtual Hard Disk uses space from C: disk??: I don't understand, I thought download a file into a VHD means the file takes space from VHD, but, when I download a file it takes space both 2 hard disk with a same file size it takesExample: Download 1GB file = C: disk minus 1GB and the VHD minus 1GB.Now my question is: How...
  3. VHD Virtual Hard Disk uses space from C: disk??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VHD Virtual Hard Disk uses space from C: disk??: I don't understand, I thought download a file into a VHD means the file takes space from VHD, but, when I download a file it takes space both 2 hard disk with a same file size it takesExample: Download 1GB file = C: disk minus 1GB and the VHD minus 1GB.Now my question is: How...
  4. VHD Virtual Hard Disk uses space from C: disk??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Vhd

Vhd: How do I convert back from a vhd after I made it I realized I do not need it and it's taking up a lot of my storage space how do I flip it back into physical storage? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vhd/21a5eb1e-18bf-4f96-88c4-0d7a95ab3a73
  6. Problem with disk management and vhd

Problem with disk management and vhd: I have a system image backup file vhdx, when i create a virtual drive it shows as disk 2 basic. Unallocated with a black bar and doesn't show in volumes. I made the backup in Windows 8.1 and trying to get individual files onto my new Windows 10. I've tried many times with the...
  7. Windows 10 - disk management - attach VHD doesn't assign drive letter

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 - disk management - attach VHD doesn't assign drive letter: After doing a system image backup to another drive, I tried using disk manager to attach the .vhdx image file with read only checked, and it appears to attach the image, but no drive letter is assigned. What am I missing here?...
  8. Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD

Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD: I have a TB to choose from and I Made it 1,000,000,000,000,000TB to see if it was a 1,000YB which I went online to see how much it was and it said 1000 that is 1,000 YB but on my computer, after it was formatting it said 1024.98 GB and then I thought to my self boy that...
  9. VHD virtual hard disk keeps closing for no reason

VHD virtual hard disk keeps closing for no reason: Hey community, i've recently recovered Virtual hard disk that I forgot I had. Given the fact I am dangerously low on storage, I am now planning on using this for games and other personal files. I am now currently running the installer for a game and the VHD keeps closing...
  10. VHD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    VHD: just a small question. can i delete a vhd after i hv mounted it permanently? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vhd/deab598a-d7fe-4c5c-ace2-91003242d580

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is a vhd in disk management

2. whats a vhd in disk management

3. vhd thin disk management

4. what is vhd in disk management