Windows 10: VHD virtual hard disk keeps closing for no reason

Discus and support VHD virtual hard disk keeps closing for no reason in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey community, i've recently recovered Virtual hard disk that I forgot I had. Given the fact I am dangerously low on storage, I am now planning on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Harry Simmonds, Apr 14, 2020.

1. VHD virtual hard disk keeps closing for no reason

Hey community,

i've recently recovered Virtual hard disk that I forgot I had. Given the fact I am dangerously low on storage, I am now planning on using this for games and other personal files. I am now currently running the installer for a game and the VHD keeps closing itself even though the download directory is in it. do I lower the storage on the disk it currently sits at 63.9 TB! I would like some help regarding this issue and look forward to hearing from the community,

Harry. S

:)

Harry Simmonds, Apr 14, 2020
  2. Drone Win User

VHD to virtual PC

What does it mean? *Confused VHD virtual hard disk keeps closing for no reason :confused: VHD is a hard drive of a virtual machine which (by default) can be opened by Microsoft Virtual PC

Drone, Apr 14, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Compacting virtual hard disks

We must have totally different working methods VHD virtual hard disk keeps closing for no reason :)

Let's see what I told to be my workflow, and check how that works in reality. Example W10 x64 VM is one I have used for ESDtoISO and UUPtoISO testing, a clean installed build 15048 with no additional software installed, upgraded several times to builds 15055, 15058, 15060 and 15061, always restored back to clean 15048. This has of course caused the VHD size to grow to multiple times what really is needed.

After the above, checking file sizes. Macrium image was made when the original 64 GB dynamically expanding VHD was 34.5 GB:

VHD virtual hard disk keeps closing for no reason [​IMG]

Macrium image size just under 5 GB:

After restoring Macrium image to a new dynamically expanding VHD, file size is 9.3 GB. Over two thirds smaller than original one:

The same as seen by File Explorer, yellow highlight is the original VHD, start situation, and green highlight the new VHD where Macrium image from old VHD was restored. Old VHD can now be deleted, net storage save savings over 25 GB in this example case:

(Notice that VHD has already grown over 0.5 GB since the previous screenshot a few minutes earlier. This is because in previous screenshot VM was not started yet after restoring the image.)
    This of course is all logical, happens every time.

4. jon111 Win User

VHD virtual hard disk keeps closing for no reason

can a virtual hard disk be mounted when the file does not have the .vhd extension?

i would like to remove the .vhd extension from a virtual hard disk and still be able to mount the drive with explorer.exe. forcing the use of the .vhd file extension makes finding these types of high value files way to easy. i removed the .vhd file extension,
    but then the system will not mount the drive. "open with" explorer.exe fails. using" disk management" fails. etc. somehow this makes little sense to me. windows hard reliance on file extensions is really not good computer science. if you try to mount what
    is internally just a text file, then it should fail being processed as a virtual hard disk and a user error message would be in order.

jon111, Apr 14, 2020
Thema:

VHD virtual hard disk keeps closing for no reason

1. VHD virtual hard disk keeps closing for no reason - Similar Threads - VHD virtual hard

2. VHD Virtual Hard Disk uses space from C: disk??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    VHD Virtual Hard Disk uses space from C: disk??: I don't understand, I thought download a file into a VHD means the file takes space from VHD, but, when I download a file it takes space both 2 hard disk with a same file size it takesExample: Download 1GB file = C: disk minus 1GB and the VHD minus 1GB.Now my question is: How...
  3. VHD Virtual Hard Disk uses space from C: disk??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VHD Virtual Hard Disk uses space from C: disk??: I don't understand, I thought download a file into a VHD means the file takes space from VHD, but, when I download a file it takes space both 2 hard disk with a same file size it takesExample: Download 1GB file = C: disk minus 1GB and the VHD minus 1GB.Now my question is: How...
  4. VHD Virtual Hard Disk uses space from C: disk??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD

Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD: I have a TB to choose from and I Made it 1,000,000,000,000,000TB to see if it was a 1,000YB which I went online to see how much it was and it said 1000 that is 1,000 YB but on my computer, after it was formatting it said 1024.98 GB and then I thought to my self boy that...
  6. Windows Virtual Hard Disks keep on detaching randomly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Virtual Hard Disks keep on detaching randomly: So I'm trying to download a large file 94GB on a Virtual Hard Disk since my computer doesn't have enough space. But for some reason, All of my virtual disks just detach and whenever I mount them again, I have to Download my file all the way from the beginning. Does anyone...
  7. How to Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) File in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Mount or Unmount VHD or VHDX (Virtual Hard Disk) File in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]In this post, we will show you different ways using which you can natively mount or unmount VHD and VHDX virtual hard disk files in Windows 10. VHD and VHDX files cannot be mounted from removable media that isn’t formatted [...] This post How to Mount or...
  8. VHD (Virtual Hard Drives) are suddenly ejecting from Windows 10

VHD (Virtual Hard Drives) are suddenly ejecting from Windows 10: Hello guys! I am using a Surface Go (With 120 GB of storage) running Windows 10 Home x64 1803, and I have a storage problem. I am running out of space on my C: Drive. I have no USB support (Attaching an OTG (On-the-go) Cable will break it), I have a micro SD card but is for...
  9. Compacting virtual hard disks

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Compacting virtual hard disks: Compressing a vhdx file in Hyper-V Well I have had fun today trying to compress some vhdx files used in Hyper-V. My VHDXs only had around 15GB of files (10 pro Insider 15061) including hidden files after disk cleanup when in Hyper-V but the vhdx files were around 40 GB/...
  10. VHD in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VHD in Disk Management: I was looking in Disk management in Win 8.1 and under the "action tab", there is a choice to; Create VHD. I can't get a shot of it to show a snip. Has anyone used this ? Would this be safe to install Win 10 with ? 2061