Windows 10: Via HD Audio - Sound and Mic not working

Discus and support Via HD Audio - Sound and Mic not working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'm going around in circles on this one. I just upgraded my ASUS Laptop from Win 8.1 to Win 10 X64. (It has Via HD Audio) Initially, sound worked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dsscottage, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Via HD Audio - Sound and Mic not working

I'm going around in circles on this one.

I just upgraded my ASUS Laptop from Win 8.1 to Win 10 X64. (It has Via HD Audio)

Initially, sound worked but the microphone didn't. I fussed with many settings but nothing seemed to work.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, then the mic seems to work but sound doesn't.

Some of the events that I have encountered are:
    • One message said "Windows has detected that Audio enhancements for the following device are causing problems". I disabled all enhancements but nothing changed
    • Based on other posts, I tried to change the default format to 16 bit and other Hz. Nothing worked.
    • I tried to play a test tone in the speaker setup and got the message "Failed to play test tone".
    • I tried to update the drivers but was informed that I had the latest drivers

I went to the VIA web site to look for new drivers but there are none listed for Win 10.

Is there something else that I can do or is it just a matter of waiting for new VIA drivers? (VIA HD Audio is such a common audio chip that I find it hard to imagine that VIA and Microsoft haven't solved the driver problem - particularly given the Insiders Hub process!)

:)

dsscottage, Aug 8, 2015

2. Audio Driver Issue after updating to Windows 10

This did not fix the issue - I currently have the Realtek HD Audio installed now because I need my speakers more than my mic at the moment. The mic is still not registering sound the way it should be, but if I go back to the generic Microsoft HD Audio
    driver then the mic will work properly, but my speakers will not play.

EmilyGrice, Aug 8, 2015
  3. PadHicks Win User
    Headphone and Mic no longer work after Win10 upgrade

I'm having weird problems with my headphone and mic when using my desktop. They work just fine on my windows 10 laptop.

The problem has developed over restarts, initially the mic wasn't identified but the headset worked. I reinstalled my audio driver and it worked.

After restarting, neither the headphone nor mic are working. When I look in the sound options, the mic says it is not plugged in - but the mic can be recognised by VIA HD Audio Deck, so there is no problem with the jack. This happens on both the front and
    rear panel jacks.

When I plug the headphones in, sound from my speakers stops but is not picked up by the headphones.

I have to admit I'm awfully confused by this, any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm happy to provide any specific information if you want.

PadHicks, Aug 8, 2015
  4. lvgandhi Win User

Via HD Audio - Sound and Mic not working

I have Asus S400CA.
    I also had the same problem with mic not working.
    First went to device manager.
    uninstall all drivers in Audio inputs and outputs.
    Then go to sound, video game controllers.
    Select VIA HD Audio. There also uninstall the driver.
    Reboot Mic works.
    Now right click speaker icon on task bar and click playback devises. If you want speaker, select it as default or headphone as default. In 8.1, as soon as we insert headphone, a dialog used to appear and we can select. Here in 10, that does not happen.

lvgandhi, Aug 8, 2015
  5. Thanks for the reply ivgandhi,

That is what I previously did to uninstall/reinstall the drivers. That changed my status from speakers working/mic not working to mic working/speakers not working. I tried it again with the same result.

I have an ASUS S500CA. I believe that it and the 400 are almost the same. Did you get both your speakers and mic working?

I looked further at the VIA HD Audio properties and found the following information related to the "Device install requested" event:
    Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1106&DEV_8446&SUBSYS_1043102F&REV_1000\4&1eae9ed2&0&0001 requires further installation.

I'm not sure what further installation that I can do!

dsscottage, Aug 9, 2015
  6. lvgandhi Win User
    from my previous post
    "Now right click speaker icon on task bar and click playback devises. If you want speaker, select it as default or headphone as default. In 8.1, as soon as we insert headphone, a dialog used to appear and we can select. Here in 10, that does not happen."

lvgandhi, Aug 9, 2015
  7. Speakers are selected as the default playback device.
    Headphone is selected as the default recording device.

Still, the mic works, the sound doesn't

dsscottage, Aug 9, 2015
  8. Via HD Audio - Sound and Mic not working

After continuing to search the net, I found a site that had VIA drivers that were stated to be compatible with Windows 10. The version number is 6.0.11.0500b.

I installed them and rebooted.

Now the speaker is working but the mic is not. i.e. the same problem as originally seen.

I also sent a note to Via asking about updated drivers. Here is their response.

Hello,
    As Windows 10 was just recently released, we are waiting for some verifications on our drivers and they will be released very shortly.
    Thanks in advance for your patience,
    VIA Marketing
    Taiwan

dsscottage, Aug 10, 2015
  9. lvgandhi Win User
    I deleted all drivers for audio(sound) and rebooted. After rebooting drivers installed in device manager|Audio in puts and outputs all drivers are from Microsoft hosting numbers 10240 of ms. In sound, video and game, VIA HD Audio driver is from VIA number 6.0.11.800.

lvgandhi, Aug 10, 2015
  10. I have the same drive information but the mic is still not working.
    Hopefully new VIA drivers will fix the issue.

dsscottage, Aug 11, 2015
  11. strife57x Win User
    Hi Guys, I have the same issue my laptop is an ASUS S400CA. Could you specify which drivers you used that got your audio working. I could use that at least.

strife57x, Aug 12, 2015
  12. lvgandhi Win User
    See my post 2,4 and 7 in this thread.

lvgandhi, Aug 12, 2015
  13. gara56 Win User

Recently tried to upgrade my laptop to Windows 10 and found the same problems with the audio. I could get the speakers to work but not the mic. If it wasn't for Skype--I'd be ok waiting for VIA to release a driver for it. Unfortunately, I found the same identical problem with my older Toshiba Satellite M305-S4848. Other than that--Windows 10 works like a champ.

gara56, Aug 12, 2015
  14. strife57x Win User
    Tried it out, uninstalling all input output drivers from the device manager, restarted, selected as default playback devices and I still couldn't get audio.
    When trying to test windows pops up "Can't play the test tone".
    Is there any other solution to this?

strife57x, Aug 13, 2015
  15. erpster4 Win User
    erpster4, Aug 17, 2015
Thema:

1. Via HD Audio - Sound and Mic not working - Similar Threads - Via Audio Sound

2. HD Audio Controller for OnBoard sound not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HD Audio Controller for OnBoard sound not working: Hello, I would like to ask you, I have recently done clean install of Windows 7 on my computer. But later, when I installed all drivers and BIOS updates available for my NUC, I discovered, that my on board sound card is not recognizable and sound only goes trough my HDMI...
  3. HD Audio Controller for OnBoard sound not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HD Audio Controller for OnBoard sound not working: Hello, I would like to ask you, I have recently done clean install of Windows 7 on my computer. But later, when I installed all drivers and BIOS updates available for my NUC, I discovered, that my on board sound card is not recognizable and sound only goes trough my HDMI...
  4. HD Audio Controller for OnBoard sound not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HD Audio Controller for OnBoard sound not working: Hello,I would like to ask you, I have recently done clean install of Windows 7 on my computer. But later, when I installed all drivers and BIOS updates available for my NUC, I discovered, that my on board sound card is not recognizable and sound only goes trough my HDMI...
  5. HD Audio Controller for OnBoard sound not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HD Audio Controller for OnBoard sound not working: Hello,I would like to ask you, I have recently done clean install of Windows 7 on my computer. But later, when I installed all drivers and BIOS updates available for my NUC, I discovered, that my on board sound card is not recognizable and sound only goes trough my HDMI...
  6. VIA HD Audio microphone not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    VIA HD Audio microphone not working: So, after fruitless attempts at fixing the issue using other people threads I've decided to create my own. I'm one of those unlucky to be bugged by sound issues after an upgrade to Win10 from Win7. My Siberia v2 headset microphone doesn't work. What I've tried:...
  7. Via HD audio drivers not working for microphone

Via HD audio drivers not working for microphone: I installed windows 10 for my Asus laptop(which was running windows 8.1 pro and the mic worked perfectly) , and the microphone just doesn't work. I tried to install the latest win 10 drivers for Via, and that didn't help. Are there any fixes for this problem, or am I just out...
  8. Via HD Audio not working - Searched for forums already

Via HD Audio not working - Searched for forums already: Hi, I've searched the forums here and elsewhere to fix this problem. I have tried restarting my laptop, restarting the audio in services.msc, changing the max memory under boot in msconfig.exe, changing the bit rate from 24-bit to 16-bit (can't because the dropdown box is...
  9. VIA HD Audio not working properly build 10130

VIA HD Audio not working properly build 10130: Since the installation yesterday of 10130 the audio has stopped working. Have tried installing new drivers, deactivating and reactivating but nothing seems to fix it. The system claims that everything is working properly but it sure does not. When I try to use the test tone...
  10. VIA HD Audio Not Working After Anniversary Update

VIA HD Audio Not Working After Anniversary Update: [img] What Should I do ? Please Help Me.. VDeck is Important for EQ *Sad *Sad 58824