Windows 10: video and photo thumbnail not displaying

Discus and support video and photo thumbnail not displaying in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I can open photos and videos but it doesn't display the image/video on the thumbnail which is frustrating as I want to send some photos to someone but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mrpjs, May 8, 2019.

1. mrpjs Win User

video and photo thumbnail not displaying

I can open photos and videos but it doesn't display the image/video on the thumbnail which is frustrating as I want to send some photos to someone but have to click on each image and open it to view it, same applies to videos, help!

:)

mrpjs, May 8, 2019
  2. Callender Win User

Inserting Thumbnails in Video Files..... !?

That is really complicated. See this thread posted in another forum:

Video Thumbnails: How to Edit? - VideoHelp Forum

I would suggest organising videos into appropriately named folders and give each video a name that identifies what it is.

Note: I've tried various video managers including Veehive and some of them can let you grab a thumbnail to use - mostly those chosen thumbnails are not displayed in Explorer even with MediaPreview installed. Instead thumbnails are auto generated.

I like this software to browse videos:

Diffractor: Find and organize - photos, videos and audio.

You might want to test it. Navigate to a folder containing video then hover mouse over thumbnails.

A quick demo video. Video can be played within Diffractor and additionally opened in other installed media player. Towards the end of the demo video you see a video opened in PotPlayer with timeline thumbnails. You also get timeline thumbnails in Diffractor.
    JEI3AOkzAMI

Callender, May 8, 2019
  3. Billb1111 Win User
    Displaying Thumbnails for .jpg files in Windows 10 File Explorer

For some reason I cannot get File Explorer in Windows 10 to display thumbnails of my .jpg files. That makes scanning through hundreds of photos very tedious. I am using a desktop, a standard display monitor, manual keyboard, and mouse -- no touch screen.

I have done everything I have found on-line to no avail. Those efforts include:

• Going to Folder Options and ensuring that "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is unchecked...no change was necessary.
    • Making sure "Large Icons" are selected in the picture toolbar View tab
    • Clearing thumbnail cache as described on-line
    • And everything else which I no longer remember.
    Some observations:

• A few of my photos do display as thumbnails, e.g., 1 or 2 in a folder of dozens, but the majority are just the large icon.
    • As one would expect, there are different icons for photos and videos.
    • Sometimes, but not always, if I open a photo, it will then display as a thumbnail.
    • In the folders where I have the photos saved, there is frequently a file labeled thumbs.db.
    • Occasionally, as I open a folder holding photos, for the "blink of an eye" thumbnails will display before the photos become icons.
    Another curious observation is that when I attempt to change (rename) a file from a name with upper case letters to lower case, the change does not display after hitting enter, e.g., IMG_1234.JPG renamed as img_1234.jpg. The displayed file name below the
    icon stays in uppercase, but if I select "rename", it displays in lower case, but hitting enter still displays it in uppercase. This appears to be the case for all files, not just photos. Probably has nothing to do with the issue, but is curious nonetheless.

I am seeking any new suggestions as I am at my wit's end.

TIA,

Bill

Billb1111, May 8, 2019
  4. JasonC13 Win User

Thumbnail view does not work for all video file types.

These steps do not change or fix the issue. For me, MPEG video files do not show thumbnails whereas they did with Windows 7. Not having the thumbnails is a big loss of in terms of using Photo Gallery to can through all photos and videos by date.

Is this a known issue specifically for MPEG files -- all of my other file types are displaying -- and if so, is a fix on the way?

I've tried all the "display thumbnails" approaches and have gotten no where.

JasonC13, May 8, 2019
Thema:

1. video and photo thumbnail not displaying - Similar Threads - video photo thumbnail

2. Video thumbnails not displaying in one specific volume

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video thumbnails not displaying in one specific volume: I have a brand new computer running Windows 11 Home version 22H2. Ever since I got this computer setup it will not display the thumbnail previews of any of my video files saved within my storage drive labelled D:. If I have files saved on my C: drive it will display the...
  3. Video thumbnails not displaying in one specific volume

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video thumbnails not displaying in one specific volume: I have a brand new computer running Windows 11 Home version 22H2. Ever since I got this computer setup it will not display the thumbnail previews of any of my video files saved within my storage drive labelled D:. If I have files saved on my C: drive it will display the...
  4. File Explorer Photos & Videos Thumbnails Broken

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Photos & Videos Thumbnails Broken: I have read many tech articles, I've cleared caches, changed settings, I have tried all the solutions I could find to no avail. Prior to this issue, I could view almost every single photo and video file's thumbnail in file explorer. Then one day I couldn't. Now I can only...
  5. File Explorer Photos & Videos Thumbnails Broken

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Photos & Videos Thumbnails Broken: I have read many tech articles, I've cleared caches, changed settings, I have tried all the solutions I could find to no avail. Prior to this issue, I could view almost every single photo and video file's thumbnail in file explorer. Then one day I couldn't. Now I can only...
  6. File Explorer Photos & Videos Thumbnails Broken

7. Video Thumbnails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video Thumbnails: I recently bought a new camera a Sony A7iv and I am recording in the XAVC S format which is a medium compression format for mp4 videos but for some reason files from the device are not loading thumbnails I don't have this issue with any of my other cameras as both my Sony...
  8. Video thumbnails

Video thumbnails: Thumbnails were arbitrarily assigned to video files that are unrelated to the video itself.How do I correct this?I want the thumbnail to be a still from the video, not what was arbitrarily assigned to it.Note: this has nothing to do with Sharepoint or "asset libraries". These...
  9. Photos & Videos Thumbnails don't show up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photos & Videos Thumbnails don't show up: Basically when it's a jpg file the thumbnails shows up but when it's a PNG or MP4 file or any type of different file the thumbnail doesn't show up anymore, I tried going into system and check the "show thumbnail not icon" I tried going into folder options and do the same...
  10. No thumbnails displayed in Photos section of search results.

in Windows 10 Support
    No thumbnails displayed in Photos section of search results.: I got the free Windows 10 upgrade yesterday and everything seemed to work really well until I tried using the Search Bar. The problem is that although search results are returned (The indexing seems to be correct) the images displayed under the Photos section are mostly...