Windows 10: Video card, monitor or Windows 10 at fault?

Discus and support Video card, monitor or Windows 10 at fault? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a GTX1050 video card, LG 27" 4K monitor at 3840x2160 (scaling 175%) and am running Windows 10 CU. If I switch the monitor on NLT a few seconds... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by larc919, Jun 17, 2017.

1. larc919 Win User

Video card, monitor or Windows 10 at fault?

I have a GTX1050 video card, LG 27" 4K monitor at 3840x2160 (scaling 175%) and am running Windows 10 CU. If I switch the monitor on NLT a few seconds after the boot beep, everything is fine when Windows opens and I see the desktop. But if I wait longer to switch it on, icons are shrunken and my custom font settings have reverted to Windows default. Rebooting cures the icon size problem, but I have to run the .reg file I made for font settings and reboot again before that's fixed. Any ideas why the Registry would change just because the monitor is late getting switched on?

:)

larc919, Jun 17, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Will win 10 recognize my 27" full hd monitor from my laptop like Win 7 does?

That's a good question. Windows doesn't know about your monitor. It sends video signals to your graphics card or chip, and the graphics card/chip takes it from there. The information Windows displays about your monitor, e.g., in Device Manager, comes from
    the video subsystem.

Which is a long winded way of saying: If your video subsystem worked with your monitor in Windows 7, it'll work with it in Windows 10.

Therefore, the real question should be: Is my video card/chip supported on Windows 10?

BulldogXX, Jun 17, 2017
  3. Ray Abel Win User
    Windows 10 Pro White Bar of Death?

Fixed...

I had to remove the dual monitor video card.

Power up using the old motherboard's video card and powered back down.

Then put the dual monitor video card back in the machine.

Powered up again.

All is good in the world again.

The switching between video cards seems to have forced Windows 10 to rethink something.

Ray Abel, Jun 17, 2017
  4. rvbfan Win User

I have almost the same monitor, only difference is, I don't shut it off when I power down. I let it go to sleep
    and don't have this problem. Have you tried that?

rvbfan, Jun 17, 2017
  5. larc919 Win User
    Thanks. I'm sure that would solve the problem. And the monitor consumes only 0.5W in sleep mode. Unless I can find a solution otherwise, that could be my best option.

larc919, Jun 17, 2017
  6. rvbfan Win User
    Ya, don't think I've actually shut a monitor off since my old crt.

rvbfan, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Video card, monitor or Windows 10 at fault? - Similar Threads - Video card monitor

2. Video card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Video card: How can I determine whether my video card supports hardware encoding of H.264 codec? I am using Cyberlink PowerDirector software version 10 to convert a VHS C tape into an .mp4 file and I have hit a stumbling block. Thanks...
  3. video card drivers for windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    video card drivers for windows 10: So i recently got a ati radeon x600 from a older computer and i am trying to install it in my dell optiplex 790 SFF windows 10 computer and i can't find drivers anywhere but after i did a quick search on google to see if it was possible to download drivers for this device it...
  4. Windows ressource monitor: Memory fault

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows ressource monitor: Memory fault: Hello I'm looking at the ressource monitor in the task manager. The memory section show some material error. Should I need to investigate that? The errors count do come and go, from 0 to 6 to 147 etc. [img] 124186
  5. video card

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    video card: how do I fix or change my 'video card'? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-card/4eb6c88b-59d8-4703-96de-2f86e6fe5943
  6. video card

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    video card: Hello everyone I need help. some friends and I have a problem with our pc and it is that they do not use the whole video card and some simple programs run with difficulty. I have a netbook Processor intel celeron 847 and it has 967mb of total graphic memory but memory...
  7. Upgrading Video Card But Not Monitors

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Upgrading Video Card But Not Monitors: I have the money to get a nVidia GTX 1060 6Gb card, but not the money to get new monitors. I'm looking for a recommendation as to how to connect the monitors. The both have a VGA and DVI-D ports. The cards are usually 1 HDMI, 1 DVI and 3 DisplayPort. The choices I see...
  8. Second Monitor on a R7 240 Video Card

Second Monitor on a R7 240 Video Card: Hi All If I was to invest in a Second Monitor, would it work ok with current graphics card I have, AMD Radeon R7 240, or should I wait on adding a second monitor til I get my Rx 470 or 570 graphics card in the way future (money wise not gonna have enough for a while on...
  9. New Video card monitor won't turn off.

New Video card monitor won't turn off.: I bough a Zotac 750 Ti 2GB and I have my monitor temporarily connected via VGA via the included DVI to VGA adapter (until I get a MiniHDMI to HDMI adapter) Whenever Windowstries to turn off the monitor, the monitor instead says "cable is disconnected" indefinitely. I have...
  10. Looking for Windows 10 Video Card

Looking for Windows 10 Video Card: I have an ATI Radeon 4870 that used to work in Windows 8.1. Drivers, Catalyst, everything. With Windows 10 upgrade. Nada. I'm running off the Microsoft drivers. So, can anyone suggest a new video card? Windows 10 compatible. 2Gb memory PCI -express 2.0 X 16 Nvidia...