Windows 10: Video Conference software cannot find microphone

Discus and support Video Conference software cannot find microphone in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My group is using Zoom to video conference a class. We can see each other, but cannot hear each other. Zoom reports it cannot find the microphone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Diedre J. J.Bush, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Video Conference software cannot find microphone

My group is using Zoom to video conference a class. We can see each other, but cannot hear each other. Zoom reports it cannot find the microphone device.

This laptop is a Dell Laptop 17” Inspiron 5770 i7-8550U CPU@180Ghz 1.99Ghz 16GB Ram 64bit and I am running Windows 10. Yesterday & today I spent an inordinate amount of time downloading and installing all available Dell drivers & updates, ditto Microsoft drivers & updates. The troubleshooting & diagnostics report the microphone is working properly, and the speakers pass when I test them.

I attempted every install & update several times. I restarted each time I completed an installation. I removed all the "mute" everywhere it appeared.

Others in my group have a variety of computers, some use an iphone or an older PC. I really need to solve this so I can participate.

:)

Diedre J. J.Bush, Mar 27, 2020
  2. Arun B J Win User

Built in microphone not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1: I suggest you to set microphone as default device and check.

• Right click on the volume icon in the system tray and then click "Recording devices"

• Right click on the blank space in the popped up window and then select "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

• Right click on Microphone and then click "Enable".

• Highlight the microphone and then choose "Set as Default Device".

• Click Apply and OK.

Step 2: Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled. Follow the steps given to check that:

• Right click on the volume icon and select “Recording devices”.

• Now, Right Click on an empty space and select, “Show disconnected devices” and “Show disabled devices”.

• Make sure that the Microphone is not disabled.

And also update the audio drivers from the manufacturer web site and install.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Mar 27, 2020
  3. ElpenorG Win User
    Camera and microphone

I tried to use the camera to make a video - on Lenovo Ideapad 330S OS 10 - but the "microphone muted" message prevented the video to record.

I did the settings/privacy/microphone suggestion to no avail. I tried to get Cortana to turn on the mic but she cannot hear me. I did the steps to turn her on but she still can't hear me. Suggestions? thanks

ElpenorG, Mar 27, 2020
  4. Video Conference software cannot find microphone

microphone

Hi,

Please share a few details:

1. What is the make and model of your computer?

2. Did you install the audio driver from the manufacturer website?

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it works:

Step 1: Run the Microphone Setup Wizard

1. Type “Set up Mic” in Cortana’s Search box.

2. Follow the instructions provided to set up your microphone.

Step 2: Check your microphone’s drivers

1. Type in “Device Manager” in the Search box and select it from the list.

2. Expand Sound, video and game controllers

3. Right-click (or tap and hold) your microphone device and select
    Update Driver Software.

4. Select Search automatically for updated driver software.

This option will scan the Internet for the correct version of the driver or determine if you already have the most recent driver installed. You may be prompted to restart your computer to install the driver.

Step 3: Manually turn up the mic gain

1. Type in “Sound” in the Search box and select Sound (Control Panel) from the list.

2. Select the Recording tab.

3. Right-click (or tap and hold) on the active microphone input device and select
    Properties.

4. Select the Levels tab.

5. Manually drag the Microphone gain to a higher level and click
    Apply.

Reference: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows-10/cortana-cant-hear-me

Hope this helps.

Jenith_James, Mar 27, 2020
Thema:

Video Conference software cannot find microphone

1. Video Conference software cannot find microphone - Similar Threads - Video Conference software

2. Microphone Mode - Personal or Conference

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microphone Mode - Personal or Conference: Windows 11When I join a meeting WebEx, Zoom, Teams, whatever, a window pops up at the lower-right giving me the option of selecting Personal or Conference mode for my microphone.What does this mean? Is there a documented explanation? There seems to be nothing within Windows...
  3. Microphone Mode - Personal or Conference

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microphone Mode - Personal or Conference: Windows 11When I join a meeting WebEx, Zoom, Teams, whatever, a window pops up at the lower-right giving me the option of selecting Personal or Conference mode for my microphone.What does this mean? Is there a documented explanation? There seems to be nothing within Windows...
  4. Bluetooth Headsets & Video Conferences

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth Headsets & Video Conferences: Hello, I recently updated my Bluetooth headset Sony SBH20 that I use for work on Zoom worked perfectly. After paring the new headset SonyWI-C310 to the computer I set the sound options to what I previously had; Output device- headset stereo & Input device- headset hands...
  5. Video conference image

Video conference image: Hello: Lately I being trying to use the camera application to take some pictures and video, but I haven't been able to find controls to zoom in or out on the frontal camera. Is this a feature that is not available for this application? Thanks....
  6. video conference applicationsoftware for standalone LAN - not on internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    video conference applicationsoftware for standalone LAN - not on internet: I have an educational institute where there are approx 25 students at one point of time. I want to run my classes through video conference appon my local area network...not on internet. Someone suggested thatmicrosoft lync is one such app that can be used for stand alone...
  7. Microphone not working in Zoom Conference

Microphone not working in Zoom Conference: I cannot get the microphone to work when on a Zoom App conference. I have a brand new HP notebook using Windows 10. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microphone-not-working-in-zoom-conference/892e8262-220c-4018-964b-846d8b693237
  8. Video conference using skype

Video conference using skype: Hi is it possible to conduct a Video Conference with multiple people using the Skype that came with Windows 10, my machine is fully updated. If it can be done is there a tutorial available for doing so. Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Regards Daniel 153822
  9. Video conference using skype

in Windows 10 Support
    Video conference using skype: Hi is it possible to conduct a Video Conference with multiple people using the Skype that came with Windows 10, my machine is fully updated. If it can be done is there a tutorial available for doing so. Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Regards Daniel 153822
  10. Video Software

Video Software: I have movie maker. But I need something that can do the following. Say I have a solid image background in my video. I want to be able to put a moving png with a transparent background in front and have it move across the background like a motion comic. What would be the...