Windows 10: Video Driver and my almost perfect HTPC setup!

Discus and support Video Driver and my almost perfect HTPC setup! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; There is an actual request for help at the end of this....you can skip there if you like :-) I am so excited! I finally got my homebuilt HTPC almost... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by NavyLCDR, Aug 5, 2015.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

Video Driver and my almost perfect HTPC setup!

There is an actual request for help at the end of this....you can skip there if you like Video Driver and my almost perfect HTPC setup! :)

I am so excited! I finally got my homebuilt HTPC almost perfectly setup. It's an older socket 785 motherboard (been a few years, I think ASUS). AMD Phenom 3 core 2.3 ghz processor, ATI Radeon HD 4600 video card. It think those are the important specs. Oh, and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit clean install Video Driver and my almost perfect HTPC setup! :)

I got Wake on Lan working perfectly - even with fast start enabled in Windows 10! - by installing the driver from the manufacturer Realtek. It added an option in the advance properties of the LAN chip on the motherboard to Wake on Lan from Shutdown. My PC will shutdown - the LAN light on my router for the PC turns red, indicating the connection has dropped to 100 mbps, but still there. The computer stays off until it gets a magic packet (Wake on magic packet only checked in the Ethernet controller properties).

Computer starts up, auto login to a local user standard account and starts Kodi by adding a task in task scheduler to run it when that local account logs in.

I've got my home TV connected to HDMI and a very old monitor connected to VGA - Kodi starts up nice and full screen on my home TV (cheap Sanyo, 720p HD) and I get a fairly bare desktop on the VGA monitor - exactly what I want!

I have full 5.1 surround sound by installing the HDMI Audio driver from AMD (part of the Catalyst driver/control center package) in place of the High Definition Audio device that Windows 10 installed. Kodi uses HDMI Passthrough to my TV which then passes the signal to my audio receiver via optical connection.

I use Yatse remote on my Android devices which will fully control Kodi all the way from sending the Wake on Lan packet to shutting down the PC at the end. I can also see all my movie descriptions on my Android devices and stream the movies to them or play them on my TV. I can VPN into my network from the internet on my Android devices and have remote capability over the internet, but I can't get the WOL magic packet to push through the router to the PC when I am not connected either directly on the LAN via WiFi or VPN. I have port forwarding set up, but the router strips something from the magic packet coming from outside the LAN (Netgear Nighthawk R7000). Have to figure that out.

Now my one and only problem. I've got fairly thin black bars on the sides of my HDMI TV display. I think Catalyst Control Center and the right video driver will allow me to adjust overscan to get rid of them, but I can't get Catalyst Control Center to interact with video driver to give me any video options at all. I tried the video driver in the Windows 10 64bit version of Catalyst from the AMD website and not only did Catalyst Control Center still not interact with the video driver, but I couldn't get dual monitors to work so I went back to the driver provided by Windows 10.

So my two questions - anybody have a recommendation for an old ATI Radeon HD 4600 driver that will work with Catalyst Control Center and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit so I can adjust the overscan and get rid of the black bars? or Anybody have a good recommendation for a newer video card that handles HDMI exceptionally well for $200 or less? I'm a little interested in playing fairly graphics intensive simulators like Trainz and Flight Simulator as well and my old Radeon HD 4600 handles it fairly well. Thank you in advance!

:)

NavyLCDR, Aug 5, 2015

2. Almost perfect

Try to suggest here in this website

This domain is no more in use

Just use the login info that you're using in this discussion page so you can post something.

Tier1point75, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Almost perfect

I've been using OVI maps navigation for months. And I've tested it alongside my Tomtom navigator. I find the OVI maps on par if not better at times.

My only complain is its very difficult to view map of route. Unlike tomtom or even google maps, its easy to just drag the map to view wherever you want to see.

When will Nokia mend this problem???

iphonesux---01, Aug 5, 2015
Thema:

Video Driver and my almost perfect HTPC setup!

1. Video Driver and my almost perfect HTPC setup! - Similar Threads - Video Driver almost

2. How to keep my windows installation almost in perfect shape all the time?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to keep my windows installation almost in perfect shape all the time?: Hey Fellows,I have a question for all you IT Guys.I have a severe problem.I can't have my windows 10/11 installation healthy more or less than 15 days, in the best-case scenario more than one month or two without having to reinstall again.I know i am trying to change my...
  3. How to keep my windows installation almost in perfect shape all the time?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to keep my windows installation almost in perfect shape all the time?: Hey Fellows,I have a question for all you IT Guys.I have a severe problem.I can't have my windows 10/11 installation healthy more or less than 15 days, in the best-case scenario more than one month or two without having to reinstall again.I know i am trying to change my...
  4. Greyish filter on almost every video ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Greyish filter on almost every video ?: Hello, I've got a strange thing on my PC, on every video except on VLC (Through Netflix app for Win 10, Disney Plus on Chrome, Netflix on Chrome too, even some YouTube vids), there is lika "greyish" filter that appear after 1 or 2 seconds of video played. I could record it...
  5. Phantom desktop icons added to my HTPC desktop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Phantom desktop icons added to my HTPC desktop.: I just did a clean install of Windows 10 v2004. When install was complete there was a whole host of mostly blank tile iconsshortcuts that appeared on my desktop. Most had names and the name all matched programs that I have installed on another PC. I didn't want any of them...
  6. Driver for Epson Perfection 1650

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Driver for Epson Perfection 1650: I have a computer that I built ten years ago and it continues to perform well. It was running Windows XP64 at first then 7-64. It now has SSDs, anyway, I decided to take the plunge and upgrade to Win 10 but could only do a clean install using the method available with my Win...
  7. HTPC power protection low surge

in Windows 10 Support
    HTPC power protection low surge: How can i protect a small HTPC hooked up to my TV from surging? Every now and then not always my mini fridge will kick on or off and cut the TV power for a second. which turns off the tv and right back on. Im guessing a surge? I want the pc to be protected from this. What...
  8. Advice on building a user-independant HTPC?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Advice on building a user-independant HTPC?: I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, so mods feel free to move. I'm planning to build a cheap HTPC with the sole purpose of acting as a universal movie and game playback streaming device. I will want it to play DVDs and bluray disks locally along with visitor's...
  9. Epson Perfection Scanner 2480 driver

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Epson Perfection Scanner 2480 driver: Hope this may be of help to someone.*Smile The following file/driver enabled me to run a 2480 scanner [paid £3 for at a car-boot] in windows 10 64bit Epson Perfection 24803.0u It is Version 3.0u Make sure you remove all previous drivers for the scanner, then...
  10. "Tuning" Video for HDTV / HTPC duty

in Windows 10 Support
    "Tuning" Video for HDTV / HTPC duty: This has little to do with Windows 10 specifically but much to do with Windows, Graphics Cards, and HDTV's, vs. "Monitors". As many have noticed, HDTV's are usually a better bet than buying "external monitors" for a host of reasons, however not without a gotcha or two. I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 9:34 ATI Catalyst Control Center free windows 10 64bit