Windows 10: Video files freeze Windows 10 File Explorer on custom built PC

Discus and support Video files freeze Windows 10 File Explorer on custom built PC in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Not sure if this is the right place for this (cross-posting onto r/pchelp), please direct me elsewhere if appropriate. This is on a custom built PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/akasdan1, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Video files freeze Windows 10 File Explorer on custom built PC

Not sure if this is the right place for this (cross-posting onto r/pchelp), please direct me elsewhere if appropriate.

This is on a custom built PC (pcpartpicker) which has been in use for around 3 years.

When playing video files (mp4), File Explorer will become "Not Responding". After around 10 minutes of playback with no issues, the video and audio will freeze (the timing is variable, sometimes it plays much longer, like 30 minutes). Whatever video player I am using can be closed, and the interface still "works" where I can press buttons, adjust volume, close the window, etc. but the video doesn't progress. Looking at File Explorer when this occurs, I see "Not Responding" in the menu bar header (as well as Task Manager), and I can't navigate elsewhere or move files. After relaunching File Explorer, I can usually resume playback, but the issue will occur again much sooner than 10 minutes.

This happens with any mp4 file, using any video player. I have tried the standard Movies & TV app, VLC Player, and Windows Media Player.

After a few months of this issue persisting, I tried Reset this PC (using the keep files option). This did not resolve the issue.

Is there some diagnostic tool I can use to figure out what exactly is happening and causing this freezing? Could this be a hardware issue? I haven't been able to find a similar problem posted online. Connecting with a Windows tech (remotely) also did not resolve the issue, they did not have a solution.

submitted by /u/akasdan1
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/akasdan1, Feb 20, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 20, 2020
  3. geno368 Win User
    Some files listed in Windows Explorer are blue font

I seem to have run out of room on a Windows XP Pro system. I tried to defrag but don't have but 7% room available. I looked in Windows Explorer to try to find some huge files that might be corrupt and I see a few that are listed in blue. What does that mean? I have not compressed anything on purpose. Thanks

geno368, Feb 20, 2020
  4. Video files freeze Windows 10 File Explorer on custom built PC

Windows 10 file explorer customization help

Hi All,

Thanks for your reply.

Quick Access gives you an area in File Explorer to better organize your PC and also help you locate recently accessed files and folders. As you use your PC, Windows 10 will continue to keep record of your file activities and automatically update
    the list.

Please be informed that you can pinfolders from anywhere in the Windows 10 file system to the Quick Access area. Follow the steps below:

• With File Explorer open, locate the folder you want to pin to Quick Access.

• Click the Home tab at the top of File Explorer and click the
      Pin to Quick access option.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Feb 20, 2020
Thema:

Video files freeze Windows 10 File Explorer on custom built PC

1. Video files freeze Windows 10 File Explorer on custom built PC - Similar Threads - Video files freeze

2. File Explorer Sort Customization

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Sort Customization: How do u sort files on windows explorer ? I mean putting them in a certain order other than the normal. like if I want a certain file to be on top that's alphabetically coming second or to the bottom. Changing the order and moving files or folders in the hierarchyHow can I do...
  3. File Explorer Sort Customization

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Sort Customization: How do u sort files on windows explorer ? I mean putting them in a certain order other than the normal. like if I want a certain file to be on top that's alphabetically coming second or to the bottom. Changing the order and moving files or folders in the hierarchyHow can I do...
  4. File Explorer Sort Customization

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File Explorer Custom Layout

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Custom Layout: Hey guys, I hope you're all well! Does anyone know if it would be possible to mod or create a script for file explorer to start a custom process when clicking and opening a drive. For example, when I open drive E:/, I would like three explorer windows to open. 1 in the top...
  6. "This PC" freezing windows file explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "This PC" freezing windows file explorer: I've just recently started having this problem where opening file explorer to "This PC" causes it to get stuck saying "working on it" and stop responding. I've tried running SFC and DISM, which had no effect. I found one similar post on this subreddit that apparently fixed...
  7. Attempting to delete video file causes File Explorer to freeze and crash

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Attempting to delete video file causes File Explorer to freeze and crash: I'm having trouble with 2 video files inside the C:\Users\$USER$\Pictures\Video Projects folder which is created by the Video Editor. [ATTACH] The first is the .avi file. Whatever I try to do to it rename/delete etc, File Explorer freezes and I need to restart it from...
  8. File explorer custom searching

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer custom searching: In the search box in file explorer you can type date: or datemodified or size and you're supposed to get a GUI / calendar where you can specify dates, size etc... I get nothing...I cannot bring up anything of the modifiers. If i search for a word or a *.* I get results but I...
  9. Are there custom themes for File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Are there custom themes for File Explorer?: I think the current file explorer looks extremely dated. I heard about a new version coming with 2004 but alas, nothing. So is it possible to find custom themes/skins only for the file explorer? :) submitted by /u/NZ9_001 [link] [comments]...
  10. Customize File Explorer look

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customize File Explorer look: How do I customize my File Explorer so that it appears like my Computer? 56083