Windows 10: Video freezing/running very slowly

Discus and support Video freezing/running very slowly in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This appears to be an odd problem that I just can't find a solution to When streaming videos Youtube, Netflix and even Steam they'll, seemingly,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Iain_M001, May 12, 2020.

1. Iain_M001 Win User

Video freezing/running very slowly

This appears to be an odd problem that I just can't find a solution to

When streaming videos Youtube, Netflix and even Steam they'll, seemingly, randomly slow down to about 1 frame per second or slower, the audio also reduces to single clicks, pretty much running a the same speed as the video. Some videos will run fine and others will last a second or two. Refreshing the video clears the problem but it may or may not pop up again in the same video. It appears to occur most often when the mouse is moved during video streaming but that doesn't always need to happen.

Things I have checked

It's not a bandwidth or buffering issue from what I can tell anyway, there are multiple PC's in my house and none of them have the same issue. I also have a very reliable 320Mbit cable connection.

Windows 10 is up to date, installed on it's own SSD

All drivers are up to date, including clean GPU drivers and audio drivers

It affects Chrome, Firefox, Steam and Netflicks. VLC does not appear to be affected when running videos saved on the HDD I haven't checked it with Media player

I've tried uninstalling all browser extensions and third party software apps Steel series Engine 3 for my head phones and Logitech G Hub for mouse and keyboard

I've uninstalled Flash Player completely

Tried runnig with my AV disabled Norton

It affects all of the accounts on my PC Wife and kids

I've ran sfc /ScanNow - no errors were found

I've tried a different mouse as that appears to be the most common denominator for the slow downs, didn't help

Games all run fine although Dungeons 3 did appear to have this issue on occasion I'm an old Dungeon Keeper fan, don't shoot me, I have no idea what that uses for video play back but could be a pointer.

All system clocks have been reset to default I did have a bit of overclocking applied to the CPU and GPU

Chrome needs the page refreshed, sometimes a few times, but Firefox will recover from pausing the video and then playing again.

Things I'm not sure of

Could it be a codec issue? How can I check that?

Is there a common or uncommon Windows bug that could cause this?

Could it be hardware related? I'd find that odd given that games are far more system intensive than video streaming.

Basic System specs

Windows 10, i7 6850K, RTX 2080 Super, 64GB Ram

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

:)

Iain_M001, May 12, 2020

2. Edge stalls, freezes and otherwise runs slowly

First, I just replaced my hard drive, then loaded my copy of Windows 7, then upgraded to Windows 10. For the first day or two it ran fine, then I got a notice that Windows had updated. After that I started having problems with Edge stalling running very
    slowly and sometimes freezing so that my only option was to restart the computer or shut it down using Task Manager. Now it is worse, even after I reboot. I've read other comments and run suggested checks to no avail. Any suggestions before I just stop
    using Edge?

PatrickMc001, May 12, 2020
  3. BlackOwl Win User
    Windows running slowly in specific situations

Over the last few days (since maybe Thursday but definitely Friday) my Win10 machine has been running slowly in certain situations. The programs iTunes, GSAK, and Unreal Tournament 2004 run slowly in general, much slower than my new hardware has been able to output since I bought it less than two months ago. Other programs are substantially slower than normal to load, but act quite fine once they've been loaded (Sid Meier's Civilization V and Overwatch are two notable exmaples - they take up to six times longer to load than they did this time last week). The change was sudden but not noticeable straightaway.

One further change I've noticed is that whenever I go to shut down or reboot the computer, it tells me it's "Getting Windows ready" despite there being no updates to my knowledge. It tends to hang on that screen for some time before it actually shuts down or reboots - I'm not sure how long it takes as I often lose patience and go and do something else, but it's more than expected.

Steps I've already tried:
    • rebooting
    • antivirus scan
    • uninstalling programs I've installed within the last week
    • rolling back Windows updates (which I've found to be basically impossible)
    • cleaning up the fullest hard drive (I've more than doubled the free space on it)
    • updating my video card drivers
    • defragging all three hard drives

Any ideas?

BlackOwl, May 12, 2020
  4. Video freezing/running very slowly

video playback freeze for a split second with a buzzing sound about every 20 to 30 seconds

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We regret the inconvenience caused to you. We will be glad to assist you with this issue.

Before we proceed, we require more information to assist you better.

• Which application you are using to play the video?
    • What is the format of the videos you are trying to play?
    • Does this happens with all other videos as well?

This issue might be due to outdated or corrupted graphic card drivers. Let's try the below steps and check if it helps:

Step 1: Run Video Playback Troubleshooter.

I suggest you to run the Video Playback
    Troubleshooter. Follow these steps to run
    Video Playback troubleshooter:

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar and select it.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click Video Playback
      troubleshooter.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    • Check if issue persists.

Step 2: Also, I suggest you to update your graphic card drivers.

I suggest you to update graphic drivers and check if it helps. Follow the steps given below.

• Press Windows key + X key and click on
      Device manager.

• Search for Display Adapters.

• Right-click on the graphics
      card and click on Update driver software.

Hope it helps. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, May 12, 2020
Thema:

Video freezing/running very slowly

1. Video freezing/running very slowly - Similar Threads - Video freezing running

2. My computer is suddenly running very slowly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer is suddenly running very slowly.: I have tried almost every troubleshooting technique out there:reset windowsreset virtual RAMgo into root files for MSconfig and turn a 1 into a 0.Delete temp folderDelete Downloaddistributor or whatever it's calledTurn off Fast BootUpdate Drivers for PC and Graphics...
  3. computer is running very slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer is running very slowly: since I have updated my computer to windows 11 the computer is very slow, for example: To come to this site to write this question I have been 5 minutes to load firefox. Or also for example I have opened spotify and it has taken between 2 and 3 minutes for the window to...
  4. computer is running very slowly

computer is running very slowly: since I have updated my computer to windows 11 the computer is very slow, for example: To come to this site to write this question I have been 5 minutes to load firefox. Or also for example I have opened spotify and it has taken between 2 and 3 minutes for the window to...
  5. Microsoft programs running very slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft programs running very slowly: So I wanted to change the alignment of the taskbar so that it would be on the left side of the screen but they removed that feature in Windows 11. I found a video online that showed a way to do it by changing something in the code. When I tried to do it, something went wrong...
  6. Microsoft programs running very slowly

Microsoft programs running very slowly: So I wanted to change the alignment of the taskbar so that it would be on the left side of the screen but they removed that feature in Windows 11. I found a video online that showed a way to do it by changing something in the code. When I tried to do it, something went wrong...
  7. SSD running very slowly ...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD running very slowly ...: Good p.m. I have an Intel NUC mini computer with an HP SSD S700 500GB solid state drive running Windows 10. When I check the "Driver Fine Details" is shows the SSD driver provider to be Microsoft. I recently installed the version 20H2 update. I am streaming video, buffering...
  8. Windows 10 is running very slowly.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 is running very slowly.: HOw do I speed up Window s 10? Are there files I need to remove? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-is-running-very-slowly/2ab1c823-577b-4d2b-be05-e8ec6b9ddde2
  9. Internet Running Very Slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Running Very Slowly: I've been going back and forth with my isp for a while now. trying to troubleshoot issues with my service. For a while it was truly their faults, going through updates and having down time in my area, just an overall loss of internet and throttling internet. I have since...
  10. Computer runs very slowly (vitually freezing shortly after sign in)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer runs very slowly (vitually freezing shortly after sign in): Hi, My reasonably well specced computer (i5, wd black HDD) seems to run very slowly to the point where it is unusable shortly after I sign in. It seems to be the same in safe mode! I have tried restoring to the earliest restore point there is, again no luck! However...