Windows 10: Video playback stutter from local and streamed content

Discus and support Video playback stutter from local and streamed content in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all Is it actually possible to get completely smooth video playback on Windows 10? I have tried everything. Updated drivers, clean re-install,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by woolen1, Mar 12, 2019.

1. woolen1 Win User

Video playback stutter from local and streamed content

Hi all

Is it actually possible to get completely smooth video playback on Windows 10?

I have tried everything. Updated drivers, clean re-install, upgraded GPU from 970 to 1070.

Out of desperation I then bought another i7 PC just to see if it was my hardware was at fault but that has the same problem.

It seems crazy that my FireTV stick that weighing 1lb can play beautiful smooth HD video but my 25lb PC cannot!

Any advice much appreciated! I really want a Windows 10 HTPC but can't bear watching video that stutters.

:)

woolen1, Mar 12, 2019
  2. cpmusic Win User

Video has a mild stutter, streaming and some local files

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

I watched the Task Manager while playing two different streams, one each from starzplay.com and cbs.com. In both cases, resource usage was low, with IE CPU at 8-12% CPU, total CPU at 10-15%, and total RAM at 22%. (I had already disabled all startups and third-party services I don't need.)

Then I uninstalled Avast, rebooted, and Defender started automatically (I checked), but videos still stutter. Resource usage is a tiny bit lower than with Avast, but only by 1-2%, if that much.

EDIT: I just tested Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu. Netflix and Amazon both look better, but Hulu still stutters. It's most noticeable on slow pans and zooms. CPU and RAM use were about the same as before.
    What is especially puzzling is local video playback. MP4 files recorded at 720p/30 stutter at 3000 and 5000 Mbps. MP4 at SD at 1600 Mbps is rough but stutters less.

But MP4 at 720p/50 and 1080p/30 are smooth, or at least smooth enough that I can't see any problems. So are MPEG-2 files (SD and HD) and MT2S (HD). Blu-rays and DVDs play smoothly.

cpmusic, Mar 12, 2019
  3. cpmusic Win User

Thanks for the suggestion. MPC-HC does a little better than VLC and WMP with MP4 files recorded before this problem started, but there's still some stutter.

However, that doesn't help with streaming video. As noted, streams play smoothly on an old Blu-ray player, and the internet connection is not the problem. I get the same thing with IE11, Edge, and Chrome.

cpmusic, Mar 12, 2019
  4. Video playback stutter from local and streamed content

It sounds like a codec issue. Can you upload 1 of the problematic files somewhere for us to test?

invincibler, Mar 12, 2019
Thema:

Video playback stutter from local and streamed content

1. Video playback stutter from local and streamed content - Similar Threads - Video playback stutter

2. Local videos stuttering

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Local videos stuttering: I'm experiencing a problem with locally stored videos stuttering. Videos pause for half a second every 5 or so seconds.I do not experience this when streaming videos. Only with locally stored videos,I have tried different video players and different videos and continually get...
  3. Local videos stuttering

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Local videos stuttering: I'm experiencing a problem with locally stored videos stuttering. Videos pause for half a second every 5 or so seconds.I do not experience this when streaming videos.I have tried different video players and different videos and continually get the same problem.Video players...
  4. Streaming video stuttering

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Streaming video stuttering: Hi, I have a frustrating problem with my PC for two months. It’s Windosws 10 Home edition.It’s all started after one Windows update. I don’t know exactly which one because I didn’t at first associate it with that. So I first tried to remove all recant updates, but that didn’t...
  5. Stuttering Video Playback

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Stuttering Video Playback: I have a PC Laptop with Windows 10. Since the most recent update in November, my videos have not played smoothly, instead they start and stop constantly, whether it's Chrome, Firefox, the DVD player or the Netflix app. I have tried updating the apps, installing different...
  6. video playback stuttering

video playback stuttering: video playback stuttering https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-playback-stuttering/db841da1-dc0c-4e93-bba9-dd619955dbbe
  7. Issues streaming and playback audio and video

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issues streaming and playback audio and video: Since about a week I'm having issues with streaming and playback. When I start my laptop, it works fine, but after a (short) while, I cannot playback anything. No YouTube or Souncloud (in the browser), no Spotify (with application), not even local files with Windows Media...
  8. Windows 10 hard freezes during video playback (streamed or local)

Windows 10 hard freezes during video playback (streamed or local): So, I have a Lenovo ideapad 320-15ABR running Windows 10 (version 1803, OS build 17134.165) and it has only been running for a few short months. When playing local video files or streaming video from youtube, I experience short freezes that resolve themselves intermittently...
  9. Stuttering streaming video playback in Edge and Internet Explorer

in Browsers and Email
    Stuttering streaming video playback in Edge and Internet Explorer: Hi folks. @ppappas Using a browser for streaming Video can cause stuttering for basically all or any of these reasons 1) Internet connection slow can be either on your ISP provider or the source streaming site server is busy or both. 2) Poor or slow I/O - Slow...
  10. Video has a mild stutter, streaming and some local files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Video has a mild stutter, streaming and some local files: I posted about this elsewhere and got a lot of views, but no replies. I apologize if it's out of line to post a new thread, but by now I suspect the old one won't get any more views. There are other threads about stuttering or choppy video, but I haven't found answers there...