Windows 10: Video stops and starts

Discus and support Video stops and starts in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When I play a video from my disk drive, it stops and starts. When I drag and drop that same video from the disk drive onto my desktop and then play it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Ken Lichtsinn, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Video stops and starts

When I play a video from my disk drive, it stops and starts. When I drag and drop that same video from the disk drive onto my desktop and then play it from the desktop, it plays perfectly. This leads me to suspect that I have some setting wrong or that the disk drive is defective.

:)

Ken Lichtsinn, Feb 23, 2018
  2. AlOrsatti Win User

video stops & starts

I replied to Jbear, NO not fixed, my answers 2 his questions R noted by number as requested. I would think he or U would have read & understood that. Yes the issue still exists. It's difficult 2 isolate as sum video's play fine others no? The oly thing
    i know 4 certain is that it only happens when viewing over the net/online , if i download and save playback is fine. Try it yourself candy dulfer music video - Bing video,
    i am listening 2 this right now & it stops & starts. I the middle of the screen there is a circle that spins until the video resumes playing. Using "edge" & "BING' bing is garbage, why is it hooked 2 windows 10 & edge? Your help would B appreciated. "haveachevroletday".

AlOrsatti, Feb 23, 2018
  3. AlOrsatti Win User
    video stops & starts

I am running windows 10 on a Dell Latitude E6530, all videos I watch on the internet ie: CBC news clip, they stop and start. I've tried everything i can think of thru settings, troubleshoot and updated drivers, help. Default is WindowsMediaPlyer. Thanks

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows update, recovery, & backup]

AlOrsatti, Feb 23, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

Video stops and starts

Right-click the desktop/background and choose Display Settings.

It could be the ODD/Optical Disc Drive or the drive controller [on the motherboard] or a bad data cable is the problem in transferring data smoothly. We usually see that issue i downloading from the Internet, called buffering, getting the data into memory while playing. I usually save such downloads and play later, eliminates the issue.

Berton, Feb 23, 2018
  5. "It could be the ODD/Optical Disc Drive or the drive controller [on the motherboard] or a bad data cable is the problem in transferring data smoothly"
    By "bad data cable", do you mean something inside the computer? Because there's no USB cable involved except when I transfer the files from the video camera to the desktop and then the problem should show up when I play the video from the file on the desktop. If it's the optical disk drive, is there some way I can test for that before taking it to a repair shop ?

6. Berton Win User
    My response was based upon the first sentence in your post, caused a natural assumption you meant the ODD.
    By "bad cable" I meant the data cable between the motherboard and the ODD.

Berton, Feb 23, 2018
  7. I'd like to try increasing the buffer size but, when I search for how to do that, I get sites that provide answers such that I have no clue what they are talking about. Is there an understandable way of doing that? Recall that, when I try to play a video directly from a dvd in my DVD-RW drive, it stutters. But, if I just drag and drop it to the desktop and play it from there, it works fine.

8. Video stops and starts

ThrashZone, Feb 23, 2018
  9. Berton Win User
    Berton, Feb 23, 2018
  10. I tried VLC but it had the same problem. I should point out that, what I am trying to do is record DVDs that I can send to friends that they can play on their own devices.

Ken Lichtsinn, Mar 4, 2018
  11. See attached file: Videos Sputter.doc

Ken Lichtsinn, Mar 4, 2018
  12. Berton Win User
    In that attached file I saw a very likely problem, namely the use of DVD-RW and DVD+RW discs. Have you tried the DVD-R and/or DVD+R discs? The R discs are most reliable for sharing.
    R = Recordable, once
    RW = ReWriteable, can be erased and used again or maybe added to
    Used to be not all intended users could handle the RW discs, don't share so can't say that is still prevalent.

Berton, Mar 4, 2018
  13. Video stops and starts

I think I've found a solution to the puzzle. A technician at Staples says the reason the playback from disk stutters is because the DVD RW drive in this computer (hp DVD RW DU8AESH) can't read fast enough to play AVCHD (.mts) files, which are very large video files, without stuttering. It can read and write fast enough to record from other media or copy to other media but it can't read fast enough to play AVCHD files without stopping and starting.

Ken Lichtsinn, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Video stops and starts

1. Video stops and starts - Similar Threads - Video stops starts

2. Videos start then stop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Videos start then stop: Hello Everyone,I've been having this annoying problem when I watch a video on MSN and other websites and the video starts gets about a minute into it and then goes back to start again. Can anyone help me with this, please?Thank you...
  3. Videos start then stop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Videos start then stop: Hello Everyone,I've been having this annoying problem when I watch a video on MSN and other websites and the video starts gets about a minute into it and then goes back to start again. Can anyone help me with this, please?Thank you...
  4. Videos start then stop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Video suddenly stops playing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Video suddenly stops playing: All videos suddenly stop playing; on YouTube, Edge, Chrome and those saved on my computer.I have updated drivers.Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-suddenly-stops-playing/7a3f1abd-9fa5-455e-a55d-68b452fd07d6
  6. Videos Fail to Start

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Videos Fail to Start: Hello! I have a Lenovo laptop that is only a couple months old. Everything has been working great with it up until now. I went to play a YouTube video tonight, and the video played about 2-3 seconds without sound before pausing and there was a circle loading over the video....
  7. Video minimizes when starting Video Meetings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Video minimizes when starting Video Meetings: I have several clients that are using Google Meet and Zoom on a regular basis. Despite the platform, once they start the meeting, their video minimizes within the first minute. They then have to search for it to bring it back to the screen. We have uninstalled and...
  8. video's will randomly stop playing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    video's will randomly stop playing: For some reason when i watch something the video will just freeze or the audio wont work then the audio will randomly start working again https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/videos-will-randomly-stop-playing/5d750905-a780-420a-93a1-7dbab7137603
  9. Lately my spacebars don't start and stop net videos properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Lately my spacebars don't start and stop net videos properly: A simple function on my various PCs stopped working a few weeks ago. You know when you're watching a video and you want to pause it with the space bar? Or a resume? It basically stopped working. You hit 'pause' and it tries to but fails. You hit it again and... maybe it...
  10. Video and Audio Stops Working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Video and Audio Stops Working: After only a few short videos or if I pause and restart a couple of times, videos and audio will not work anymore. I have to reboot and if I'm lucky I can watch a video. This has been going on for months and seems to be getting worse. I am taking online classes and I need to...