Windows 10: Video thumbnails not showing up in Windows Explorer.

Discus and support Video thumbnails not showing up in Windows Explorer. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; So I've been having this problem for several months now..One day some of my video thumbnails weren't showing, so I deleted the thumbnail cache, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by joeo sullivan, Jul 24, 2022.

1. Video thumbnails not showing up in Windows Explorer.

So I've been having this problem for several months now..One day some of my video thumbnails weren't showing, so I deleted the thumbnail cache, and then they were all gone and never returned. It was like Windows lost the ability to create thumbnails for videos, and as I moved videos around over time windows never generated new thumbnails for them.I have photo thumbnails, but not video thumbnails, and video thumbnails don't show up in other programs either, such as Media Player, or in alternatives to Windows Explorer, such as One Commander. It's like Windows has lost the ability to create video

:)

joeo sullivan, Jul 24, 2022
  2. jsmin Win User

Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Jul 24, 2022
  3. Dgo47 Win User
    File Explorer not showing thumbnails

Brink,

Many thanks for you reply. I have done all the steps you suggested, but no change,

When I open a folder containing photos, some open correctly but the vast majority open with thumbnails, but they very quickly get overwritten and you can not longer see the thumbnails.

Are there any more suggestions?

Dgo47, Jul 24, 2022
  4. banditrvp Win User

Video thumbnails not showing up in Windows Explorer.

File Explorer - Some PDF's show thumbnail image, some don’t

In Windows 10 File Explorer, I see thumbnails for a few of my pdf files but still see the generic Adobe pdf icon for most of them.

• In Windows 10 folder options, the checkbox for “Always show icons, never thumbnails” is unchecked.
    • On the Adobe Reader preferences general tab, “Enable PDF thumbnails previews in Windows Explorer” is checked.
    • Adobe Acrobat is set as my default PDF viewer.
    • I have used Disk Cleanup to delete all my thumbnails to clear and rebuild the cache, yet the problem persists.
    Any suggestions on how I can see all the pdf icons as thumbnails?
    Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, Build 18362.657
    Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (20.006.20034)

I asked over in the Adobe Acrobat Reader forum a few days ago but have received no replies.

Video thumbnails not showing up in Windows Explorer. [​IMG]

Ron

banditrvp, Jul 24, 2022
Thema:

Video thumbnails not showing up in Windows Explorer.

1. Video thumbnails not showing up in Windows Explorer. - Similar Threads - Video thumbnails showing

2. Video thumbnails are not showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video thumbnails are not showing: I built a new computer back in April last year and had Windows 11 installed on it. Everything was working fine except for the fact that for some reason the system would not show any thumbnail previews of any of my video files. That includes MP4s, MKVs, or even older formats...
  3. Video thumbnails are not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Video thumbnails are not showing: I built a new computer back in April last year and had Windows 11 installed on it. Everything was working fine except for the fact that for some reason the system would not show any thumbnail previews of any of my video files. That includes MP4s, MKVs, or even older formats...
  4. Video thumbnails not showing up in Windows Explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Video thumbnails not showing up in Windows Explorer.: So I've been having this problem for several months now..One day some of my video thumbnails weren't showing, so I deleted the thumbnail cache, and then they were all gone and never returned. It was like Windows lost the ability to create thumbnails for videos, and as I moved...
  5. Video thumbnails not showing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Video thumbnails not showing: Hi all, so I have a strange issue with thumbnails for video files not showing - it's just the Film & TV icon. This happens ONLY for video files - pictures thumbnails show up just fine. The videos are typical MP4 files H264 encoding and play perfectly fine in the Film & TV...
  6. Photos & Videos Thumbnails don't show up

Photos & Videos Thumbnails don't show up: Basically when it's a jpg file the thumbnails shows up but when it's a PNG or MP4 file or any type of different file the thumbnail doesn't show up anymore, I tried going into system and check the "show thumbnail not icon" I tried going into folder options and do the same...
  7. File explorer thumbnails show no preview for videos

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer thumbnails show no preview for videos: Hi all, I just built a pc and installed Windows 10. I have been working on Macs for years now so there is a bit of a learning curve. I usually do video editing but have run into a problem. Typically when I go to finder, Mac's version of file explorer, I see a thumbnail with a...
  8. Some images and video won't show thumbnail in windows explorer

Some images and video won't show thumbnail in windows explorer: Some of my images and videos , wont show an image. Some show thumbnails and others show the image. I have gone into VIEW > Options and unchecked show thumbnails as many sites ask but it doesnt resolve the issue. See the screen shot below [ATTACH]...
  9. Thumbnails not showing up for images and videos

Thumbnails not showing up for images and videos: Hi there, I don't know why, but whenever my thumbnails do not show the previews for the pictures Always tends to occur at night time. I've looked through MULTIPLE threads and they All say the same exact thing which is: "Go to View tab, go to Options, and go to the change...
  10. Video Files Not Showing Thumbnails in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Video Files Not Showing Thumbnails in File Explorer: I've ran Disk Cleaner to delete the thumbnails. I've deleted the thumbnail caches via command prompt (Admin). I've gone through View/Options/View and made sure "Always show icons, never thumbnails" was not checked. And still, I cannot get thumbnails for my .mp4...