Windows 10: Video Thumbnails wont update in preview pane

Discus and support Video Thumbnails wont update in preview pane in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello my video thumbnails wont update. It shows me the preview of the first video thumbnail but when i select another, the preview remains the same in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Joe Bodego, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Video Thumbnails wont update in preview pane

Hello my video thumbnails wont update. It shows me the preview of the first video thumbnail but when i select another, the preview remains the same in the preview pane. I use the "List" view. help, i am a video editor who just pdated to windows 10

:)

Joe Bodego, Aug 22, 2015

2. Video Thumbnails wont update in preview pane

So does MS have a time line to fix this?

donaldeakins, Aug 22, 2015
  3. Video Thumbnails wont update in preview pane

I've since chosen to use a different preview handler for video files. Instead of the wrong thumbnail in the preview pane, it just shows a black screen which is definitely preferable.

I do hope someone reports this bug to MS. As I said before, there are a bunch of computers in stores being sold that have this bug outright with nothing extra on them, apart from the usual bloatware.

Jakobkraft, Aug 22, 2015
  4. bdflood Win User

Video Thumbnails wont update in preview pane

I'm having the same problem. Does anyone have a solution?

bdflood, Aug 25, 2015
  5. I solved the issue by associating my video and audio files with VLC media player

Joe Bodego, Aug 26, 2015
  6. bdflood Win User
    Joe's solution worked for me, too. I downloaded VLC media player, then I associated all video with VLC, then thumnails updated. Thanks for posting a solution, Joe!

bdflood, Aug 30, 2015
  7. Thanks, glad i can help

Joe Bodego, Aug 30, 2015
  8. Video Thumbnails wont update in preview pane

This didn't work for me unfortunately--and I REALLY wanted it to! I downloaded VLC, installed it, then associated all my video files with vlc but it still didn't cause the video thumbnails in the preview pane to update. I restarted my latop twice and still no-go.

Is there a preferred way to assign my files to play in vlc so that the video thumbnail bug is fixed?

jakobkraft, Sep 1, 2015
  9. Here is a video of the issue, if anybody is able to help:

I'm really surprised there hasn't been more said about this, and the only fix--for some people at least--has been to install vlc and set it as the default video player, which is a pretty shoddy workaround, imo.
    Thanks in advance for any help!

jakobkraft, Sep 2, 2015
  10. I went to Best Buy today and did some tests and ALL the machines there experience the same bug -- and all are running Windows 10 Home Edition build 10240.

Again, if someone found an alternate fix beside the vlc one, please offer it here -- thanks in advance!

jakobkraft, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Video Thumbnails wont update in preview pane

1. Video Thumbnails wont update in preview pane - Similar Threads - Video Thumbnails wont

2. "Show thumbnails instead of icons" disables preview pane

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Show thumbnails instead of icons" disables preview pane: I was trying to reduce performance issues in Windows 11 and noticed that "Show thumbnails instead of icons" option in the Performance settings, disables not only thumbnail previews instead of icons but also the preview pane. If this is expected behavior, this option should be...
  3. "Show thumbnails instead of icons" disables preview pane

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Show thumbnails instead of icons" disables preview pane: I was trying to reduce performance issues in Windows 11 and noticed that "Show thumbnails instead of icons" option in the Performance settings, disables not only thumbnail previews instead of icons but also the preview pane. If this is expected behavior, this option should be...
  4. Preview thumbnails for Video Files are a random part of the videos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Preview thumbnails for Video Files are a random part of the videos: Been having this issue since last week where I transfer my video files to a new computer. They all should have a thumbnail I embedded into them, but it is just getting ignored, and instead shows a random slide of the video as its cover....
  5. Video Not Playing in Taskbar Thumbnail Preview

in Windows 10 Customization
    Video Not Playing in Taskbar Thumbnail Preview: Hello, I am having trouble of figuring out why every video I play on a separate window, the thumbnail preview on the taskbar shows a blank/frozen up loading screen? I restarted the computer a few times, nothing worked....
  6. video media preview not working on preview pane or on icons.

video media preview not working on preview pane or on icons.: video icons only showing default media player, no preview. preview pane shows same default media player icon. how do I fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-media-preview-not-working-on-preview-pane-or/00bcdf2b-27f7-4e7e-95df-79a91c65c41e
  7. Preview pane

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Preview pane: Another issue is the preview pane on the file explorer. After the update is no longer working. I really don't know what else to do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/preview-pane/8a221a08-c589-478d-b12b-d6610a30458e
  8. taskbar thumbnail previews not updating...

in Windows 10 Support
    taskbar thumbnail previews not updating...: I've noticed that the thumbnail previews on my taskbar are not updating; if I'm using a word file, for example, the thumbnail shows the beginning of the document, even if I have been working on page 7. Similarly, the thumbnails for webpages always show the top of the page,...
  9. Preview Pane

Preview Pane: Using Windows explorer plus Preview pane is causing files to be locked\read only. Is there a fix for this yet? apart from disabling PP? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/preview-pane/9b6d0ce9-e586-4c31-a667-249e00efaf31"
  10. Preview Pane

Preview Pane: Every time I click on a video file the preview pane continues to display the picture of the first file selected. How do I fix this? Thanks for your help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/preview-pane/941ab2da-c3c7-4d1a-a6e7-af795f391919"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why wont thumnails open to pictures