Windows 10: Videos take very long to start playing

Discus and support Videos take very long to start playing in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 Dell Vostro with an 11th Gen i3 processor, 8 GB RAM, and an HDD. For some reason, any video takes unnaturally long to start playing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by YoDude69, Jan 8, 2022.

1. YoDude69 Win User

Videos take very long to start playing

I have a Windows 10 Dell Vostro with an 11th Gen i3 processor, 8 GB RAM, and an HDD. For some reason, any video takes unnaturally long to start playing on my laptop. For videos that are on my HDD, VLC takes around 5-10 seconds to actually start playing the video after it has opened. Videos that I stream take 15-20 seconds to start playing. This happens even when I resume paused videos. It doesn't seem to matter even if a stream has already loaded. I can't make any sense of it. What could be causing this and how do I fix it?

:)

YoDude69, Jan 8, 2022
  2. Amit_Sun Win User

video not playing

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. May I know, which video player you are using to play the video?
    2. Are you able to play the video on any other computer?
    3. Are you facing the issue with only specific video or with all the other videos?

This issue could also occur when the USB or SD card is corrupted when you have transferred the video.

Try the troubleshooting methods provided below to further narrow down the root cause of the issue.

Method 1: Try a different video player.

1. Try to use a different USB to transfer the video, if you are playing it on other computer or device.
    2. I suggest you to try a different video player and check if it plays.
    3. You can also check on different device or computer.

Step: Run Windows Media player troubleshooter.

1. Press Windows + R key on your keyboard together.
    2. Copy and paste the below command and run each at a time and follow the onscreen instruction on the troubleshooter
    3. msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerConfigurationDiagnostic
    4. msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerLibraryDiagnostic
    5. msdt.exe -id WindowsMediaPlayerDVDDiagnostic
    6. Reboot the computer and check.
    If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps,

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Jan 8, 2022
  3. Videos won't play- "This item is in a format we don't support. Oxc1010103"

Hi,

To assist you better, please answer the following questions:

• Which is the media player you are trying to play the video?
    • What is the format of the video file you are trying to play?
    I suggest you to run the video in the Windows media player
    and check.

If the issue still persist, you may check for any pending updates and install it, then check if you can play the video. To check for the update and install the updates, please follow the below steps:

• Go to Start menu, and type Windows updates and press Enter.
    • Click on Check for updates, Windows will check for any pending updates and shows on the screen after this. Select install to install the updates.

Hope you could play the video.

Get back to us for further queries, we will be glad to help you.

Rishad K T, Jan 8, 2022
  4. Videos take very long to start playing

VIDEOS WILL NOT PLAY!

What kind of video card do you have? Do videos play in any other players?

If not, then it's your video driver that needs to be updated. Normally, if its only online videos that don't play it would be the Flash player, etc missing. With having the latest stable flash and shockwave players installed and the latest codecs, they should
    play fine after restarting the laptop after the installations.

YouTube, Netflix, and virtually any video files play fine on my Win 10 Pro.

Please confirm that you have Flash Player, Shockwave Player and the K-Lite Mega Codec pack installed.

Just for another suggestion, try installing Iobit Driver Booster. See if your video driver has an update.

Also, if you just recently updated the video driver and it worked previously but not now, you need to roll back the driver. To do that with Win10, type in Device Manager in, the Cortana search box next to the Start button, click on it to run, click on Display
    Adapters and you will see what kind of video card you have. You can right click on that, Click Properties and check the date of the latest driver installation. If it's very recent, select Roll Back Driver and once done, Restart and try to play your videos
    again.

I know this seems like multiple steps but, these are definite troubleshooting steps. It's much faster to either update or roll back a driver rather than the full OS.

DarynBogart, Jan 8, 2022
Thema:

Videos take very long to start playing

1. Videos take very long to start playing - Similar Threads - Videos very long

2. Videos take very long to start playing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Videos take very long to start playing: I have same problem as the person stated under - video it does not matter if its online or some downloaded video take like 5 seconds to start and if paused for longer period it takes again 5 sec to start again. Just diffrent laptop i have Dell G3 15 3590 intelcore i7-9750...
  3. Videos take very long to start playing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Videos take very long to start playing: I have same problem as the person stated under - video it does not matter if its online or some downloaded video take like 5 seconds to start and if paused for longer period it takes again 5 sec to start again. Just diffrent laptop i have Dell G3 15 3590 intelcore i7-9750...
  4. Videos take very long to start playing

Videos take very long to start playing: I have a Windows 10 Dell Vostro with an 11th Gen i3 processor, 8 GB RAM, and an HDD. For some reason, any video takes unnaturally long to start playing on my laptop. For videos that are on my HDD, VLC takes around 5-10 seconds to actually start playing the video after it has...
  5. Videos take very long to start playing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Videos take very long to start playing: I have a Windows 10 Dell Vostro with an 11th Gen i3 processor, 8 GB RAM, and an HDD. For some reason, any video takes unnaturally long to start playing on my laptop. For videos that are on my HDD, VLC takes around 5-10 seconds to actually start playing the video after it has...
  6. Videos take a super long time to play!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Videos take a super long time to play!: When I'm watching videos on YouTube, Netflixapp and others, it takes a very long time for the video to start. The video is loaded but just doesn't play. And when I get an A on Youtube, I have to wait for the ad to play and wait AGAIN for the video to play. The time for the...
  7. Windows Update Taking Very Long

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Update Taking Very Long: Hi, just wanted to know if this is normal. I’m trying to update my laptop but it’s taking a very long time on the ‘Working on updates’ screen. It is going up but extremely slowly (currently on 10%). Just wanted to know if this is normal for some updates. I’ve had no problems...
  8. video taking very long time to start playing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    video taking very long time to start playing: Is it a hardware problem? Or is it normal ? I have some videos on a spinning hard drive, I tried to play back one of it, it's not large, probably 2-3GB in size, but the default windows player kept me waiting at least 30 seconds before it starts to playback. System, intel i5...
  9. Searching for updates takes very long

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Searching for updates takes very long: Hi, Since today manually searching for updates takes unusually long. Is something wrong with the microsoft servers at the moment? Anyone else have that problem? Was planning to set up my laptop today but I will wait a bit if the update servers are wonky right now. 84565
  10. Settings > Apps & Features takes a very long time to start

Settings > Apps & Features takes a very long time to start: The default display settings for the SETTINGS > SYSTEM > Apps & Features page are to display apps "By Size" and to look for apps on "All Drives". The latter is particularly stupid when you consider that Windows and the Store app install all apps to the This PC (aka the C:...