Windows 10: Videos Won't Play Until I restart the Windows Audio Service

Discus and support Videos Won't Play Until I restart the Windows Audio Service in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; On a Windows 10 computer, videos will suddenly stop playing (Just get a spinning hourglass). This happens in Chrome, IE, and Firefox. I usually had to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by HERI_JP, Jul 10, 2019.

1. HERI_JP Win User

Videos Won't Play Until I restart the Windows Audio Service

On a Windows 10 computer, videos will suddenly stop playing (Just get a spinning hourglass). This happens in Chrome, IE, and Firefox. I usually had to reboot my PC to make them play again. Did a search online and someone recommended restarting the Windows Audio service which, if I start it, the videos will suddenly start playing.

I have to restart this service some fifteen times a day on average. Does anyone know why this might be happening and how to fix it?

Thank you.

:)

HERI_JP, Jul 10, 2019

2. Videos and audios Won't Play

Hi David,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I regret the inconvenience caused to you. I will be glad to assist you with your issue.

It would be grateful if you can reply to this question in order to assist you further:

• Are you able to play videos and audios using Windows Media player or other application with in your system?
    • Which browser are you using?
    • Does this issue occurs using different browser?
    I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps:

Step 1: Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

1. Press Windows key on your keyboard

2. Type Troubleshooting and click Troubleshooting..

3. Click on view all (on the left panel)

4. Select Playing Audio troubleshooter

5. Follow the prompted steps to troubleshoot this issue.

6. Follow the same steps to troubleshoot
    Video playback.

Step 2: Also try to update drivers and check.

Follow the steps from the below link:

How
    to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Let us know the results. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jul 10, 2019
  3. My PC Will Not Play Any Video or Audio Files

Hi Adam,

The issues with accessing audio and video might have occurred due to corrupted/ outdated drivers on your computer.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Have you tried to access videos on different browser (Internet Explorer) and check?
    • Were you able to access any other audio from your computer?

Let us try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to run the Audio troubleshooter and check if it helps.

try the audio troubleshooter.

Method 2: I suggest you to change the properties of Windows Audio services and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Click Start, type
      Services.msc in the Start Search box.

• Scroll down the list of services, right-click
      Windows Audio and select Start.

• Select Properties for
      Windows Audio and set its Startup Type to
      Automatic.

Method 3: I recommend you to update the audio drivers and check if it helps.

• Open Start, enter
      Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.
    • Under Sound, video, and game controllers,
      select your sound card, open it, select the Driver
      tab, and select Update Driver.

Method 4: I recommend you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of accessing audio and video on your computer for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 10, 2019
  4. Videos Won't Play Until I restart the Windows Audio Service

No sound while playing audio and video files.

Hi,

I appreciate if you could answer to a few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• Which is the application that you are using to play the files?
    • Did you try the same on a different player?
    • Did you perform any troubleshooting steps?
    As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to check if the volume is set low or in mute state in Volume Mixer.

• Right click on sound icon.
    • Open Volume Mixer check for the application that you are playing the files with and increase the volume and check.
    If the issue still persists, I would suggest you to run “Playing audio” troubleshooter to diagnose and fix the issue.

Follow these Steps to run Playing Audio Troubleshooter in Windows 10.

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Playing audio.

Also refer: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab01

Hope the information helps in resolving the issue related to the sound issue. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jul 10, 2019
Thema:

Videos Won't Play Until I restart the Windows Audio Service

1. Videos Won't Play Until I restart the Windows Audio Service - Similar Threads - Videos Won't Play

2. Windows 10 won't play the audio of my mp4 videos

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 won't play the audio of my mp4 videos: Hello guys! I have installed all possible codecs but still can't get this fixed: Windows 10 simply won't play the audio in any of my mp4 files. The Films and TV app will open the image just fine, but with an X over the sound icon. Media Player on the other hand will crash...
  3. Applications randomly won't open until I restart

Applications randomly won't open until I restart: Occasionally when I boot up my computer, certain applications (the most common being Spotify, WhatsApp, and qBittorrent) just refuse to open no matter how many times I click on them. The problem solves itself when I restart the computer, but it happens often enough that it's...
  4. Major video buffering until I restart pc.

Major video buffering until I restart pc.: Not sure why but sometimes when I watch Twitch, or Youtube, the video either doesn't play, freezes up, or it is severe buffering. When I restart, the videos play fine 1080/60. Any idea why this happens? submitted by /u/Jcorv58 [link] [comments]...
  5. no audio after pausing video until resume video

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    no audio after pausing video until resume video: Whenever i pause a video in discord youtube Netflix etc. my audio pauses until resume im using qc 35 II bluetoothed stereo audio. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-audio-after-pausing-video-until-resume-video/6e818459-178f-45e4-9a29-51c6affdfd78
  6. Audio Service doesn't work when I start playing videos

Audio Service doesn't work when I start playing videos: So this first started with "if playback doesn't start shortly restart your device". That worked for the first two weeks and everything would be fine for another 3/4 days and I just thought it was just because my internet connection was slow. But today, it keeps happening...
  7. Video not working until restart

Video not working until restart: I have had this problem since I did a fresh install of Windows 10 1809, I have since updated to 1903 and the problem persists. When I start up my computer I open a video file and the computer freezes for around 15 seconds and then sometimes it will play and sometimes it is...
  8. Windows Audio Service randomly crashes and no longer allows audio/video to be played

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Audio Service randomly crashes and no longer allows audio/video to be played: For the past 3 months or so, my audio driver has crashed and made it so no audio or video can be played. Youtube videos show an "Audio renderer Error. Please restart computer", Windows media player won't even open a video file, Spotify say "Cannot play file right now." Any...
  9. Video's won't play

Video's won't play: After Windows 10 upgrade I can't play video's now. There seems to be some type of conflict with Google. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/videos-wont-play/4c3b181a-3f60-4b54-ba09-506eeb796575
  10. audio won't play from audio or video files

audio won't play from audio or video files: This was working. I could play any video or audio file using VLC, Windows Media Player, whatever. Audio plays from the web on Chrome or Firefox then the files stopped playing audio. MP3 files or any video file-MP4 AVI MOV, etc. I updated my video card from a GTX 560 to a GTX...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 audio service is not running when playing online media