Windows 10: View files on broke PC with new built PC

Discus and support View files on broke PC with new built PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, my mom had a Dell that was from 07 and it died a week ago so i took the chore of building one (PARTS) so she can try and recover her files. On... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by oxicottin, Aug 22, 2015.

1. oxicottin Win User

View files on broke PC with new built PC

Hello, my mom had a Dell that was from 07 and it died a week ago so i took the chore of building one (PARTS) so she can try and recover her files. On the old pc I think i narrowed it down to the motherboard so im hopeing the HD still works. I need the information off the HD like my quicken backup in (my documents) and some Ms access databases and excel files along with picture and some files.

I guess my question is can I plug this drive in a SATA on my board and will the structure be there like windows or will it not even open? Or do i need some kind of software to pull the data once i plug this thing in.

thanks

:)

oxicottin, Aug 22, 2015
  2. Rolator Win User

Installing Windows 10 on a new PC.

Hi,

My desktop PC broke, and I'm planning on buying a new costume built PC.

Can I install Windows 10 using the product key from my old PC? The old desktop was a costume made one too.

Appreciate your assistance.

Best,

Rolator, Aug 22, 2015
  3. Reactivate Windows 10 OEM Key

My motherboard and cpu broke and I built a new system. Nothing happened to my harddrive so I ported that to the new system, and everything works fine but it says the key is already in use (Probably because it's a new motherboard). My Windows License is
    not bound to my microsoft account and since my old pc broke I can't deactivate the key. How can I reactivate it on my new system?

Dr4g0nHunt3r, Aug 22, 2015
  4. simrick Win User

Hi oxicottin and welcome to TenForums.

Once you have the new computer up and running, you can plug the old HDD in a few different ways:
    1. a SATA to USB adapter cable or bay dock
    2. a SATA+power cable inside the case
    3. buy an external HDD case and put the old HDD in it, connecting via USB.

All these ways will enable you to "see" the files stored on the old HDD, and transfer them to the new computer, as long as the old HDD is still functioning. They will appear in file explorer, same as always.

p.s. If you go the external HDD case route, then you can always use that as an extra HDD for backups, once you've grabbed your files off it.

One more thing: If it is an IDE type connection, then you would need something like this.

So, you need to determine if the HDD is IDE (ribbon cable) or SATA.

simrick, Aug 22, 2015
  5. oxicottin Win User
    So if i go with the cheapest...

2. a SATA+power cable inside the case

Then all i need is a spare SATA and there are plenty power attachments left in my case. Then once i get what i need i can just leave in case and wipe drive since it is a 250gb drive. Thank You

oxicottin, Aug 22, 2015
  6. simrick Win User
    Yes, I'm just a not sure if your computer will think it sees another operating system and try to boot from it. Normally the connections on the MB for the SATA cables and sometimes the settings in your BIOS might have something to do with Master/Slave configuration. I am not that well-versed in these things. But go ahead and try it, and if you have problems booting, at least you'll know where to start looking for the correct configuration.

But please make sure that the old HDD from 2007 is actually a SATA drive. I think that is just old enough to possibly still be IDE.

simrick, Aug 22, 2015
  7. altae Win User
    By the way, the title of this thread is kind of an unfortunate choice. A "broke" pc means the pc has got no money *Wink But I think what you meant is: The pc is "broken". You see, one little letter can make a huge difference. I don't want to be a know-it-all. But i thought it would be useful for you to know the difference *Smile

altae, Aug 22, 2015
  8. oxicottin Win User

@simrick its a SATA not the old style IDE and it worked fine and thank you, I was going to do it this way to begin but like u said in your second comment I wasn't sure about the old OS being there so I needed a second opinion. Thank you for the reassurance!

@altae, I have no reply for your comments other than why give a class between "broke" and "broken" when it had nothing to do with the subject matter......

oxicottin, Aug 22, 2015
  9. simrick Win User
    Great news! Glad the old HDD is still functioning. You should use it now for file backups. *Wink You can install the free version of Speccy to check the S.M.A.R.T attributes to make sure it is still a healthy drive.

Please go ahead and mark the thread as "solved" in the top left-hand corner.

Yeah...sorry about that.

simrick, Aug 22, 2015
  10. oxicottin Win User
    @simrick , Ok will do and thank you again!

oxicottin, Aug 22, 2015
  11. simrick Win User
    Thank you and you are quite welcome!

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. View files on broke PC with new built PC - Similar Threads - View files broke

2. My new PC unit broke.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My new PC unit broke.: I wanted to turn it off so I went on the logo windows and pressed stop , and after that I also that I also manually stopped the PC unit and the screen has stayed gray overnight and the cursor keeps saying like its updating can anyone help ?...
  3. My new PC unit broke.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My new PC unit broke.: I wanted to turn it off so I went on the logo windows and pressed stop , and after that I also that I also manually stopped the PC unit and the screen has stayed gray overnight and the cursor keeps saying like its updating can anyone help ?...
  4. Built new pc but it constantly freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Built new pc but it constantly freezes: Hello,I've recently built a new pc but every so often the display freezes and I can't do anything other than force shut down the system via the power on button. I went to the sysinfo to check for crashes but I can't find any information there last event is the force shut...
  5. Built new pc but it constantly freezes

Built new pc but it constantly freezes: Hello,I've recently built a new pc but every so often the display freezes and I can't do anything other than force shut down the system via the power on button. I went to the sysinfo to check for crashes but I can't find any information there last event is the force shut...
  6. Built a new pc...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Built a new pc...: I built a new pc my last one had windows 10 but idk if I can transfer it or activate it thats my first question ... I heard students can get it free, as I'm currently technically in school to get my diploma/GED. Does that count? Second question. Finally, I've also browsed the...
  7. Built a new pc...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Built a new pc...: I built a new pc my last one had windows 10 but idk if I can transfer it or activate it thats my first question ... I heard students can get it free, as I'm currently technically in school to get my diploma/GED. Does that count? Second question. Finally, I've also browsed the...
  8. Built a new pc...

9. New Update Broke My PC

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    New Update Broke My PC: Hello,Recently when I was gonna turn off my pc, I noticed I had an update, so I choose the option "update and shut down", the PC restarted and now every time I try to shut it down it just won't, it keeps saying shutting down and won't do anything another issue now I have is...
  10. New windows update broke pc

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New windows update broke pc: Hello, earlier I did my new windows update and now when I play games my monitor turns on and off and so does my keyboard. My mouse is fine. Any suggestions submitted by /u/devon_phillipps [link] [comments]...