Windows 10: view of documents i download show a bunch of symbols

Discus and support view of documents i download show a bunch of symbols in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; when I download images or pdf files online it appears on the word pad as a bunch of symbols. how can I change that?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TaraSmith12, Feb 24, 2020.

1. view of documents i download show a bunch of symbols

when I download images or pdf files online it appears on the word pad as a bunch of symbols. how can I change that?

:)

TaraSmith12, Feb 24, 2020

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Feb 24, 2020
  3. somnus21 Win User
    Notepad showing symbols?

I tried to open a notepad with lyrics in a different language, and the English on the file is fine, but the text in the other language shows up as a bunch of symbols. How can I fix this?

somnus21, Feb 24, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

view of documents i download show a bunch of symbols

Unable to insert symbols

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to insert symbols. However, it would be great if you can reply with the details requested below:

• When you say, “My Windows 10 will not allow me to insert symbols” what happens when you try to insert symbols?
    • In which application are you trying to insert symbols?
    • Are you aware of any changes made to the computer recently?

Meanwhile, you may want to try downloading fonts for all the languages and see if that helps. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows Logo key + I, to open
      Settings.
    2. Click on Personalization and select
      Fonts from the left pane.
    3. Now, click on the link that says Download fonts for all languages.
    4. Restart the computer.

For additional information, see
    How to Use Special Characters in Windows Documents

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 24, 2020
Thema:

view of documents i download show a bunch of symbols

1. view of documents i download show a bunch of symbols - Similar Threads - view documents download

2. My laptop has changed all my saved documents and all documents downloaded into symbols and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop has changed all my saved documents and all documents downloaded into symbols and...: My laptop has changed all my saved documents and all documents downloaded into symbols and letters etc. I need help to change back to what it was and seek advice. It surely has to be in settings....
  3. My laptop has changed all my saved documents and all documents downloaded into symbols and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop has changed all my saved documents and all documents downloaded into symbols and...: My laptop has changed all my saved documents and all documents downloaded into symbols and letters etc. I need help to change back to what it was and seek advice. It surely has to be in settings....
  4. Lock symbol on documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Lock symbol on documents: Lock symbol shows up on all pdf and work documents. How do I turn off this feature? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lock-symbol-on-documents/5363cfa4-1828-429d-bb9b-10e9037269e3
  5. Lock symbol on documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock symbol on documents: Lock symbol shows up on all pdf and work documents. How do I turn off this feature? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lock-symbol-on-documents/5363cfa4-1828-429d-bb9b-10e9037269e3
  6. Lock symbol on documents

7. Symbols on document items

Symbols on document items: HelloSince a recent update, all document icons have one of two symbols superimposed on them - one is a tick in a green square, the other is a ">>" in a blue square.What are these, and can I turn them off?...
  8. Symbols on document items

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Symbols on document items: HelloSince a recent update, all document icons have one of two symbols superimposed on them - one is a tick in a green square, the other is a ">>" in a blue square.What are these, and can I turn them off?...
  9. viewing recently downloaded documents

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    viewing recently downloaded documents: I tried downloading my taxes after e-filing. The HP pavilion asks what I want to do with them and I said save. But, when I go in to see them, everything is unreadable....just gobblely gook. What is wrong....
  10. File View Not Showing When Saving Attachments or Documents

in Windows 10 Support
    File View Not Showing When Saving Attachments or Documents: Forgive me as I am not an IT wiz. I am having an issue that has popped up when I am trying to save a document. When I click Save As, this is the view that I am getting. Previously, I could see files, folder and icons, now I can only select the folder etc I want by going...