Windows 10: View Poll Results: Drive for software/programs

Discus and support View Poll Results: Drive for software/programs in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Just reading another thread and I just was wondering.. how many of you put your programs/software on a driver other than the traditional C?? Like the D... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by BunnyJ, Sep 2, 2016.

1. BunnyJ New Member

View Poll Results: Drive for software/programs

Just reading another thread and I just was wondering.. how many of you put your programs/software on a driver other than the traditional C?? Like the D or some other??

For me I always let the instillation default to the C for ease of instillation and my SSD is the C driver as well.

Thoughts..

TIA..

Jeff

:)

BunnyJ, Sep 2, 2016

2. Event ID 504 and 507 from StorDiag with Windows 10

Where's the third option? View Poll Results: Drive for software/programs :)

c) Microsoft have changed the specifications of the polling interface, but the software developers out of indifference or apathy have not updated their programs accordingly (or perhaps they have but not implemented the changes properly).

BTW, have you got in touch with Raxco at all about this? If you can prove that the errors show up only when PD's services are running then they should be able to provide the actual reason for the events, be it a program or Win10 bug.

RobertJWin, Sep 2, 2016
  3. Sign the petition?!

so karim, will we see Nokia act on the results or was the poll just posted for a bit of fun to gauge everyones view on this subject?

i mentioned earlier that Series 60 version 3, feature release 1 has the ability to have the F/W updated by the user so will we see this option included in future handsets? even if only a small number of people wanted to do this by themselves, it would still
    save nokia time and money?

Hi Rich!

This poll isnt just a bit of fun, I was hoping to stimulate a bit of discussion on the subject. The results from the poll are interesting, it is not the landslide that many people who visit here were expecting. With on %59 of people actively seeking firmware
    updates this still leaves a large group of owners who would require some assistance on updating their firmware, with two days to go the results could change either way. And again, this only gauges the opinion of people who visit these discussion boards - there
    will be many many Nokia owners who have not read this post.

But, this poll isnt the official Nokia standpoint of firmware installation. The poll and this thread are what you, the users think and feel.

Carry on and make posts here to discuss this, and feel free to make a vote. The poll will close on Friday afternoon. I will collate the results and put them in this thread for further discussion.

Cheers

-

Karim

karim---01, Sep 2, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

C: = OS mostly + default libraries (which I don't use).
    D: = path I choose when installing programs
    but C: & D: are on the same physical drive.
    Program data is on E: where this is significant or large.
    Music, Video, Photos etc are in my own folders on E:
    Desktop is relocated to E: (although I keep little on it).

Years ago I split C: & D: for defrag and backup, and to a large extent this is now historical, being inherited through using Laplink to transfer programs from one build to another.

dalchina, Sep 3, 2016
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    Ok.. that kind of makes sense to me.

BunnyJ, Sep 3, 2016
  6. jpeni Win User
    I use a separate Hard Drive as Drive C (usually a 500G or smaller capacity). C: is the Operating System drive.
    I do NOT partition my C: drive (I have had additional partitions become corrupt if only drive C: is restored from an image)
    I install all programs on C: so I can create a backup image that can restore ALL installed programs.
    If I installed programs on drives other than C: - I would have to restore both C: and the other drives to restore all programs.
    I save all active user files (files that are updated, edited, processed, changed or modified often) on a separate drive (ie. D)
    If I save all active files on the C: drive - they would be REPLACED by outdated older versions if I restore my C: Drive.

jpeni, Sep 3, 2016
  7. Phone Man Win User
    My C: drive is a 256GB SSD with all my programs and user folders on it. Everything operates from it so it's all fast.
    I have two 2TB HDD for data storage and backup. Every Month or so I clean up my user folders and transfer what I want to save to my data drive. I Image the C: with Macrium and save to one of the HDD. I then use SyncToy to backup the two HDD drives to external drives.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Sep 3, 2016
  8. Stevekir Win User

My C: is on a 256 GB SSD along with all my programs. A separate internal (rotational) 2 TB drive holds all my personal files (Documants, Pictures etc.).

The post Anniversary Update bug where the machine freezes occasionally has not been cured by the recent KB3176938.

Stevekir, Sep 3, 2016
  9. altae Win User
    I used to install programs on a separate partition. But when I switched to a SSD I changed that practice, now all programs are on C (except some portable programs that I rarely use, they are on D which is a traditional HDD). Generally I've started using portable programs wherever possible. Contrary to the installed versions they don't mess up the system drive by leaving traces behind when you remove them.

altae, Sep 3, 2016
  10. jb99 Win User
    OS and all programs/apps are on C, 240 GB SSD. Library files for music, pictures, videos, and documents are on D, 2 TB HDD.

11. Everything on C, 223 GB SSD.

thegeriatric, Sep 3, 2016
  12. Winuser Win User
    I install all my programs to the C drive.

Winuser, Sep 3, 2016
  13. aramil Win User

C: drive (SSD 250Gb) for OS + depenancies
    D: drive (SSD 250Gb) Programs
    E: drive (HDD 1Tb) data
    F: drive (HDD 1Tb) Media
    G: drive (HDD 1Tb) Programs (programs that do not benefit from an SSD)
    X: drive (HDD 2Tb) Local Backup of (e: & f: )

& a remote (Network) backup system.

aramil, Sep 3, 2016
  14. Gort Win User
    C: OS and programs
    N: Data, etc

Above on the same disk (160GB for C:; 660GB for N:; rest for Linux and other partitions).

15. Stevekir Win User
    Reading these post, although my SSD (C: )contains the OS and all my programs, if starting again it might be better to put the programs on a separate partition, because if the OS had to be re-installed from scratch the programs would not have to be. A Macrium disc image would preserve both the OS and the programs.

I assume that is correct? Is it?

Stevekir, Sep 3, 2016
Thema:

1. View Poll Results: Drive for software/programs - Similar Threads - View Poll Results

2. View Poll Results: Hidden Admin?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    View Poll Results: Hidden Admin?: How many of you uses the hidden admin as daily use? 148876
  3. View Poll Results: What Virtualisation software are you using

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    View Poll Results: What Virtualisation software are you using: Hi folks I'm interested in what members are using as their virtualisation software -- doesn't matter what host. Basically : Hyper-V, Virtual Box, Vmware Workstation/player, Esxi, KVM, other e,g parallels, Citrix,XEN etc). Reasons for using would be fine too and what people...
  4. View Poll Results: Percentage

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    View Poll Results: Percentage: I trust it fully never failed me. I even used it to recover an installed program I uninstalled as it was quicker just to run the image restore then having to reconfigure the program. 115847
  5. View Poll Results: Is WindowsUpdateLog broken?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    View Poll Results: Is WindowsUpdateLog broken?: [img] Here's a fragment of a Windows 10 Windows update log - generated in Powershell by the Get-WindowsUpdateLog, and the full file zipped as an attatchment. It can take several minutes to process on a slower machine, and the repeated (sometimes once, sometimes twice)...
  6. View Poll Results: What backup / imaging software you use?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    View Poll Results: What backup / imaging software you use?: *Smile TF Live Chat will also include live presentations of Macrium Reflect & viBoot, see post #2 in chat thread for more information. OK geeks, start posting about your backup software & strategy *Smile Entries deadline 12 noon UTC on Saturday 3rd of September,...
  7. View Poll Results: Was this helpful?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    View Poll Results: Was this helpful?: For anyone looking here, this is just a guide I thought up and I think this is pretty useful. If you are deciding between 2 or more CPUs, use this equation: A= Number of cores B= Clock speed of each core C= The cache of the CPU in MB, also make it as, for example, 6MB...
  8. View Poll Results: What is your preferred KVM-ish software?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    View Poll Results: What is your preferred KVM-ish software?: Hi, I have dual laptops, one running Windows 7 Pro and the other running Windows 10. Both laptops are on a wireless network (NetGear Nighthawk X5 R8000). I am using Mouse without Borders (2.1.5.1103) on each PC so that I can control both laptops using the keyboard and mouse...
  9. View Poll Results: Install / update choices

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: Install / update choices: As far as when you'll update to Windows 10, what category do you belong? Early adopter (asap), Early majority (wait a while), or Late majority (wait for the first 'major' update) Will you sign-in with a MS account or a local account? Does your machine meet the...
  10. View Poll Results: Stick or Twist?

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: Stick or Twist?: Without going into a rant about how buggy v1709 had been, I just decided I had to roll back and install 1703. I decided to defer the upgrade to a year. Don't care, I will not install 1709 until they fix some of the issues I had been facing. So my question is and this...