Windows 10: View Poll Results: Drive for software/programs

Discus and support View Poll Results: Drive for software/programs in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Reading these post, although my SSD (C: )contains the OS and all my programs, if starting again it might be better to put the programs on a separate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by BunnyJ, Sep 2, 2016.

1. BunnyJ New Member

View Poll Results: Drive for software/programs

A simple backup of the C that has both the OS and software/programs would be perfect. If you have to do a reinstallation just use the backup and you're all set. Splitting the OS and software was a good idea when it was necessary to defrag a HDD but now with low cost SSD's and the fact you don't defrag them it doesn't make sense to split the OS and software anymore, IMO.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Sep 3, 2016
  2. dalchina New Member

Not so, alas, as programs typically
    - add start menu entries (which are usually on C
    - use various folders in User space on C:
    - have registry entries.

Possible exception: portable programs- but even then you'd probably create start menu shortcuts.

The safest and easiest way is to keep the OS and programs on one partition or disk and as much data as possible elsewhere, preferably on a separate disk.

dalchina, Sep 3, 2016
  3. C: 1TB 10k HDD Windows and Games
    D: 500GB SSD for OS X boot - I work on OSX so need it more there.
    E: F: 4TB work drive, split into 4 partitions. Dedicated audio space for Windows = 1TB, Same for Mac 1TB, 100Gb FAT formatted sharing disk (for moving from OS to OS - safer than filesystem drivers) and 1.8TB of Backups
    H: 500GB - Archived installers for other systems in the house
    I: 500GB - Random crap from an older PC

StarEmpire, Sep 3, 2016
  4. Stevekir Win User

That's exactly my present setup. I will leave it as is. Macrium system images are very quick: typically only 15 minutes. My personal files are all on a separate HD which is backed up separately.

Stevekir, Sep 3, 2016
  5. No. Bad idea. If you wish to reinstall Windows and keep apps, you should do so by using the Refresh option. Even with programs on another drive, a lot has to be written to the Windows drive. People use other drives because programs take lots of space and SSD space is expensive. If you don't have the space to keep everything on an SSD, then putting Windows on it will give you a huge boost anyway.

StarEmpire, Sep 3, 2016
  6. Stephanie Win User
    C:/ for my OS

D:/ for installed Programs and Games

*Smile

Stephanie, Sep 3, 2016
  7. Stevekir Win User
    1. I have often thought this, for example Photoshop and InDesign

2. Good. I have plenty of space on my SSD, so will leave it as is.

Stevekir, Sep 3, 2016
  8. lx07 Win User

3rd option *Wink

C for OS and most Programs except games. Games I usually put on SD card as I don't have enough space if they are big and it doesn't seem to slow things down much (more).

If my C drive was big enough though I'd use that.

9. BunnyJ New Member
    I think you should check around. The price of a nice 126 Gb SSD is really not that much anymore and that usually servers the needs of the average user well.

BunnyJ, Sep 3, 2016
  10. Stevekir Win User
    Good advice. My SSD is 256 GB and my programs are 42 GB, leaving 223 GB free. A 128 GB SSD seems ample for most people. And it is quick both for startup and opening programs.

Stevekir, Sep 3, 2016
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    Nice.. Personally I want to get a 256Gb SSD so I can have some of the data that I'm currently working on there. Oh and it makes dual booting a lot easier.

BunnyJ, Sep 3, 2016
  12. socklosk Win User
    I would like to keep the OS on the C: drive and the larger programs on the partitioned D: drive, but several of my larger programs, like Office 16 and Corel VideoStudio, automatically install on the C: drive which makes the backups of the OS to be much larger than I would like.

socklosk, Sep 4, 2016
  13. View Poll Results: Drive for software/programs

I keep everything on my C Drive but I do a backup of everything to an E drive that I plug in once a week, just to update my folder and files I may of added.

hTconeM9user, Sep 4, 2016
  14. I always install two physical hard disks, and I use a single partition for each drive. My layout, no matter the OS is as follows:

C: => OS, applications and user profiles. (On Windows NT, 2000 and XP I used to move profiles to the D: drive, but not since Vista)
    D: => Documents profile folder (which is indeed where I keep my data folders). I also have a System-wide temp folder where user and system temporary files are pointed too.

Jody Thornton, Sep 4, 2016
  15. C drive (500 GB SSD) = Windows, Office 365, Native Apps and Apps downloaded from the Store, documents, pictures, iTunes Music
    H drive (3 TB 7,200 RPM) = All other stuff but mainly games (Steam, Origin, Blizzard client & Games installed from boxed DVDs), Videos (mainly films and TV although I now keep most of my digital collection on NAS drives)

My secondary drive skips a few letters as letters in between are taken up by Bluray and internal SD card reader. I should really move my 15 gb music library to H but I don't want to mess up the iTunes library. It's on C: because that's where it's life began several computers ago and I always just copy and paste the entire iTunes folder from old to new PC.

Games are the space killer for me. I'm not a fan of uninstalling and reinstalling stuff. Once somethings installed I like to keep it in place and not juggle/micro manage space. So luckily 3 TB gives me plenty of space. I've still got over 2 TB free so far. Unfortunately game install sizes are getting absolutely huge these days. Some games need over 50 GB!!!!!!

Scottyboy99, Sep 4, 2016
Thema:

1. View Poll Results: Drive for software/programs - Similar Threads - View Poll Results

2. View Poll Results: Hidden Admin?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    View Poll Results: Hidden Admin?: How many of you uses the hidden admin as daily use? 148876
  3. View Poll Results: What Virtualisation software are you using

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    View Poll Results: What Virtualisation software are you using: Hi folks I'm interested in what members are using as their virtualisation software -- doesn't matter what host. Basically : Hyper-V, Virtual Box, Vmware Workstation/player, Esxi, KVM, other e,g parallels, Citrix,XEN etc). Reasons for using would be fine too and what people...
  4. View Poll Results: Percentage

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    View Poll Results: Percentage: I trust it fully never failed me. I even used it to recover an installed program I uninstalled as it was quicker just to run the image restore then having to reconfigure the program. 115847
  5. View Poll Results: Is WindowsUpdateLog broken?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    View Poll Results: Is WindowsUpdateLog broken?: [img] Here's a fragment of a Windows 10 Windows update log - generated in Powershell by the Get-WindowsUpdateLog, and the full file zipped as an attatchment. It can take several minutes to process on a slower machine, and the repeated (sometimes once, sometimes twice)...
  6. View Poll Results: What backup / imaging software you use?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    View Poll Results: What backup / imaging software you use?: *Smile TF Live Chat will also include live presentations of Macrium Reflect & viBoot, see post #2 in chat thread for more information. OK geeks, start posting about your backup software & strategy *Smile Entries deadline 12 noon UTC on Saturday 3rd of September,...
  7. View Poll Results: Was this helpful?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    View Poll Results: Was this helpful?: For anyone looking here, this is just a guide I thought up and I think this is pretty useful. If you are deciding between 2 or more CPUs, use this equation: A= Number of cores B= Clock speed of each core C= The cache of the CPU in MB, also make it as, for example, 6MB...
  8. View Poll Results: What is your preferred KVM-ish software?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    View Poll Results: What is your preferred KVM-ish software?: Hi, I have dual laptops, one running Windows 7 Pro and the other running Windows 10. Both laptops are on a wireless network (NetGear Nighthawk X5 R8000). I am using Mouse without Borders (2.1.5.1103) on each PC so that I can control both laptops using the keyboard and mouse...
  9. View Poll Results: Install / update choices

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: Install / update choices: As far as when you'll update to Windows 10, what category do you belong? Early adopter (asap), Early majority (wait a while), or Late majority (wait for the first 'major' update) Will you sign-in with a MS account or a local account? Does your machine meet the...
  10. View Poll Results: Stick or Twist?

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: Stick or Twist?: Without going into a rant about how buggy v1709 had been, I just decided I had to roll back and install 1703. I decided to defer the upgrade to a year. Don't care, I will not install 1709 until they fix some of the issues I had been facing. So my question is and this...