Windows 10: View Poll Results: Getting a copy of Win10??

Discus and support View Poll Results: Getting a copy of Win10?? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; What are your standard W7 quibbles ? Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BunnyJ, Dec 18, 2014.

1. WHS
    whs Win User

View Poll Results: Getting a copy of Win10??

What are your standard W7 quibbles ?

2. WHS
    whs Win User

Out of 15 votes, nobody said 'NO' yet. That's a good sign.

3. From "Finally installed Win 10, not impressed":

No problems.
    "Annoying" also varies from person to person. *Smile

IMO, a lot of the time when people say, "W8 is hard to use", they actually mean annoying.

Just to be clear, I'm not claiming that other versions of Windows were perfect.

For example, annoyances in W7:

• The OS ignores the "Read-only" attribute (Windows started doing this after XP)
    • The Navigation pane's uncontrollable auto-scroll
    • Apparently List view also has uncontrollable auto-scroll
    • The horrible Network Manager which can't even determine that the network is actually working
    • The extra clicks required to configure the OS, compared to XP
    • The removal of customisable toolbars in Windows Explorer (and the Up arrow)
    Some of those annoyances (if not all of them) were introduced in Vista.
    Many of them continue through to W10. *Sad
    ... BTW, has anyone noticed that you can't indent Quotes containing lists?

I didn't select any options in the poll.

lehnerus2000, Dec 19, 2014
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

Then you are not part of the 15.

5. Tony K Win User
    I voted no. I'll have to see the flnal product, but as of today, I definitely would not purchase it, nor would I use it even if they gave it away. I'll stick with 8.1. The only feature I like is the smaller sizing/snapping of the Store apps, otherwise this is stepping back into the last decade > correction > the last century. As far back as 95 when the desktop and start menu was introduced. It was good for it's time, but this desktop oriented OS is backward and obstructing tech of the future. Opening and using Modern Store apps on the ancient desktop is absolutely absurd. They need to open on their own screen as in 8.x. The desktop needs to die off so far as I'm concerned. It should only remain as a portal until all software is ported over to the Modern.

My hat tipped to Sinofski and Ballmer for creating 8. *Thumbs

Tony K, Dec 19, 2014
  6. Superfly Win User
    Well, it's a resounding Yes from me... *Smile

(After all the whining I did at EF back in the day... LOL)

Superfly, Dec 19, 2014
  7. I have gone for undecided at the moment (but also waiting till January update)

Desktop is mainly undecided, I am hoping Jan update will bring more of a Win 8 feel to it (not just start screen), but if the price is right I will upgrade anyway
    Tablet I am waiting to see what Jan brings, but if it looks anything like the current leaks with Continuum, then I will stick with 8.1

paulsalter, Dec 19, 2014
  8. CountMike New Member

I'm sure that sooner or later I'd have to go for it but how soon is a question of what it would be like as finished product. One thing is sure, I'm sticking to it as secondary system all the way until end of RC and time I will have to pay for it. Only than it will be final decision on "When". I like what I have seen until now and by the time of final decision I will have at least as much experience and knowledge of it as with W8/8.1.

CountMike, Dec 19, 2014
  9. adamf Win User
    I'm pretty much committed. I converted my (licensed) 8.1 Pro to a VM just in case and then upgraded my PC to TP. Have been running TP since October with no real issues - all of my software works fine. I only start up 8.1 to get updates occasionally.

It would be a bore to go back to 8.1 so (assuming it is possible) I'll upgrade to TP 10 as soon as it is available. Hopefully the 8.1 licence can be transferred in some way in which case I'll just scrap the 8.1 VM. If it is prohibitively expensive I'll just keep running 8.1 as a VM on some other OS. I cant really imagine any scenario I'd actually restore back 8.1 as main system OS but you never know. 10 would have to suddenly take a major turn for the worse as I'm happy with it as it is.

adamf, Dec 19, 2014
  10. Not likely to upgrade to Windows 10 as, for me, it doesn't offer the much talked about 'return of the Windows 7 Start Menu'. I've installed Start8 which is brilliant at replicating Windows 7 Start Menu & does allow me to simply switch between a Start Menu & Tiles Screen without having to log out & back in again - something which Microsoft should have incorporated in Windows 10.

I've a few programs that don't work with either Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 which function 100% in Windows 7.

So, for me it's currently 100% against Windows 10.

WightWalker, Dec 19, 2014
  11. Superfly Win User
    Yup...

BTW wasn't sure to post this as I'm not familiar with the poster's rep (albeit he's a partner.. but he's french so maybe Adam you will know?)

https://twitter.com/ThomasNigro/stat...92863171153920

Superfly, Dec 19, 2014
  12. usasma Win User
    I've got no choice - I have to get a copy, or give up helping people with leading edge technology.

I rarely help out online with Win7 and earlier as I'm swamped with Win8 problems
    I also work mostly with Win8 systems at work
    The good news here is that the Win10 BSOD forum is pretty dead - so I may be out of a job there!

usasma, Dec 19, 2014
  13. brummyfan Win User

I will hang on to Win 8 as long as I can and won't install W10.

brummyfan, Dec 19, 2014
  14. But that's not Windows (it is now, but it's not suitable for a desktop mutitasking user)

So, why are you rushing to see the end of a desktop Explorer interface? After all, if we examine Windows 8x's lack of success, it came from the many (albeit wrongly) disenchanted users made to feel that the Explorer shell was being relegated to history? So it shows that as an "anti-desktop" campaigner, you are on an island with only a few other people.

I said "no" as well, and I like Windows 8.1 but only because the Metro crap can be hidden. For those who are proponents of Windows 10, I don't see what you're missing in 8.x that makes 10 TP a "must" upgrade".

Jody Thornton, Dec 19, 2014
  15. These 8'ers don't seem to realize 10 is to bring 7'ers onboard
    I can't say at this point that Microsoft has done that yet,
    As of now the settings don't exist to get rid of the most annoying quirks of 10 now
    Start button is in no way an improvement it might as well be dropped if that's as good as Microsoft is willing to offer :/

In the end if Bing is killable it might be okay but as it stands start10 will have to be used and I already have that in 8.1 so where's the actual incentive 10 will have to be dirt cheap or free *Smile
    Then start8 will have to work since it's already purchased *Tongue

ThrashZone, Dec 19, 2014
Thema:

1. View Poll Results: Getting a copy of Win10?? - Similar Threads - View Poll Results

2. View Poll Results: Was this post helpful to you?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    View Poll Results: Was this post helpful to you?: This is assuming you have installed a Windows 10 VM running on a Windows 10 Hyper-V host. It further assumes that you have enabled Enhanced Sessions and can connect to the Enhanced Session (vmconnect.exe). (this means that you have enabled Guest Services in the settings for...
  3. View Poll Results: Hidden Admin?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    View Poll Results: Hidden Admin?: How many of you uses the hidden admin as daily use? 148876
  4. View Poll Results: Percentage

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    View Poll Results: Percentage: I trust it fully never failed me. I even used it to recover an installed program I uninstalled as it was quicker just to run the image restore then having to reconfigure the program. 115847
  5. View Poll Results: Is WindowsUpdateLog broken?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    View Poll Results: Is WindowsUpdateLog broken?: [img] Here's a fragment of a Windows 10 Windows update log - generated in Powershell by the Get-WindowsUpdateLog, and the full file zipped as an attatchment. It can take several minutes to process on a slower machine, and the repeated (sometimes once, sometimes twice)...
  6. View Poll Results: Was this helpful?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    View Poll Results: Was this helpful?: For anyone looking here, this is just a guide I thought up and I think this is pretty useful. If you are deciding between 2 or more CPUs, use this equation: A= Number of cores B= Clock speed of each core C= The cache of the CPU in MB, also make it as, for example, 6MB...
  7. View Poll Results: Staying with Windows 10 or not?

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: Staying with Windows 10 or not?: Will you stay with 10? Or will/have you reverted to Windows 7/8? 19701
  8. View Poll Results: What will you do?

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: What will you do?: Now that 10240 is officially official I decided to do the in-place reset to clean out any carried over glitches. I downloaded drivers, ninite, and office 365 installer and am now waiting waiting for the reset to finish. 9241
  9. View Poll Results: Install / update choices

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: Install / update choices: As far as when you'll update to Windows 10, what category do you belong? Early adopter (asap), Early majority (wait a while), or Late majority (wait for the first 'major' update) Will you sign-in with a MS account or a local account? Does your machine meet the...
  10. View Poll Results: Stick or Twist?

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: Stick or Twist?: Without going into a rant about how buggy v1709 had been, I just decided I had to roll back and install 1703. I decided to defer the upgrade to a year. Don't care, I will not install 1709 until they fix some of the issues I had been facing. So my question is and this...