Windows 10: View Poll Results: What backup / imaging software you use?

Discus and support View Poll Results: What backup / imaging software you use? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; After running Acronis for years, and kept seeing Acronis becoming more bloated on every new version they released, I changed to Macrium Reflect about 1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Kari, Aug 24, 2016.

1. OldMike65 Win User

View Poll Results: What backup / imaging software you use?

After running Acronis for years, and kept seeing Acronis becoming more bloated on every new version they released, I changed to Macrium Reflect about 1 year ago now. MR does a great job, does need or take up huge amounts of hard drive space, does not load, or need 3 or 4 extra apps to run, as does Acronis. (Uses a lot less memory) Makes a bootable Rescue Media Disk, which is a MUST have. Does all this and its FREE. Very dependable software. Highly recommend on here by lots of our members. *Smile

OldMike65, Aug 25, 2016

2. I have always been focused on recovery since in my previous life, that is what I specialized in. In the PC world I started using Ghost. It worked great, but it became difficult to use due to new hardware technologies and many times it never did get updated. I searched for a replacement and landed on Acronis. I started with version 8 and upgraded several times to ATI2014. There it was used on a Windows 7 Desktop system and really worked well with no issues. My old laptop had died 2 years ago so I got a new one which had Windows 8 installed. Unknown to me, ATI2014 would not support Windows 8. I had to upgrade to ATI2015.

Surprise, the UI was in my mind poorly designed. It worked under Windows 8.1 but it didn't have support for USB 3.0 on the Linux recovery side. I joined a very large vocal group on their user forums complaining about the inability to restore your system. The alternate solution was to build their PE disk, but its rather convoluted, but I did and it worked. Since I really was not happy with ATI2015, I started a search for other backup solution. They included Acronis, Aomei, Easytodo, Macrum and a couple of other not widely used products. I bench marked them all for performance, ease of use and most importantly the recovery. All passed the last test with the exception of 2 of the lessor known products. Since I already had purchased Acronis, I continued to use it, but I also perform similar backup steps with Aomei and Macrum Free version.

Shortly there after Windows 10 was announced and of course I tried several Preview version and install the upgrade on the Win 8.1 laptop. All of the backup products were tested under Win 10 and all worked just fine. However I decided to keep Win 7 on my desktop until the foreseeable future. 2.5 months ago, the Win 7 system died (mother board - it was 8 years old). So I built a new system and installed Window 10 Pro on it + ATI2015 + Macrum + Aomei. Both Macrum and Aomei functioned properly, ATI2015 did not. Its Linux recovery literally crashed trying to access a USB 3.0 backup device and the newly rebuilt PE disk, didn't even see the USB 3.0 devices. It seems that their PE builder uses Win 8.1 ADK, which does not support these new USB 3.0 Devices. I needed to make a decision, which was to Purchase Macrum Reflect Home (4 Lic versions).

I always have been a fan of Macrum's UI and its functionality. It is now on both of my W10 systems as the primary backup tool.

Again as several others have stated, If I win, I will donate the version to who ever needs it the most.

storageman, Aug 25, 2016
  3. I'm back using Macrium Reflect.

I have tried Windows 7 built in backup. It's very limited in my opinion
    About a year ago I tried Aomei for some time. I don't remember why I didn't stick with it.
    Probably in a year their have been many changes in Aomei. When I get in the mood I will give Aomei another try.
    Just a few weeks ago I tried EaseUS.
    I do all my backups SSD to SSD on one computer and SSD to Hard drive on the other.
    What I notice was when the settings in EaseUS and Macrium were as close as I could get them, Macrium was over twice as fast as EaseUS.
    Macrium Reflect was also over twice as fast when doing Clones also.
    Both programs worked as they should. The speed was the only difference I noticed.

--------------------------
    Something I did notice. When using Disk Management formatting getting ready for use with a backup program their was always a little bit left on the formatted drive that sometimes caused a problem.
    When I format using Mini Tool it does a cleaner job leaving nothing behind. Things seem to work better using Macrium Reflect and Mini Tool in conjunction with each other.

Best Professional Partition Manager | MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro

Also a free version.

Free download Magic Partition Manager Software, partition magic alternative, free partition magic, partition magic Windows 7 and server partition software - Partition Wizard Online

Layback Bear, Aug 25, 2016
  4. SIW2 Win User

Hi All,
    Glad to know you haven't forgotten me. Busy with other things atm, so haven't been posting much.

I think I was the first to enthuse about macrium, way back in the Vista days over on VF. It was then picked up by Shawn and others. Became very popular on that forum, then transferred to SF and here. At the time, I think it was the only free imaging solution.

5. Superfly Win User
    Yeah Si, and here I am portraying you as Aomei... shame on me... LOL!

Superfly, Aug 25, 2016
  6. SIW2 Win User
    I do use Aomei. Switched from macrium a while ago. They both do the job. Just some difference in features, UI, etc.

7. Bastet Win User
    I had used the inbuilt backup on previous Windows versions but more often I had problems using it on Windows 10, used Macrium free version & recently it got me out of a problem. Wouldn't be without it now.

Bastet, Aug 25, 2016
  8. x509 Win User

I have been using Retrospect Professional, now Retrospect Desktop. Retrospect: Backup Software for Small Businesses. More advanced features than a simple backup program. Advanced filtering/selecting. Can restore an earlier version of a file by date. Has saved my butt more than once.

There are also server- and multi-server versions for business. Also support Linux, Solaris, MacOS, etc.

I back up my entire LAN from my desktop system.

9. Davoodoo Win User
    I started using the free version of macrium on my little home server about 2 months back.

Last month my os drive decided to stop working. Macrium to the rescue, did a restore and my server was up and running in no time.

I am impressed with Macrium and would not mind winning a licence. /Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Davoodoo, Aug 26, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    Macrium for me, the most stable backup software that doesn't let down and doesn't cause boot problems but fixes them *Smile

11. Cliff S New Member
    Yep! If you boot to the recovery media you have the option to automatically repair Windows boot loader, plus another lesser known option is inide of Windows you can also fix VSS(Volume Shadow Copy Service) problems:

View Poll Results: What backup / imaging software you use? [​IMG]

Cliff S, Aug 26, 2016
  12. altae Win User
    I use Paragon Hard Disk Manager Pro. I love the fact that it offers a complete solution to all backup and hard disk management needs. And it's backup engine is rock stable, I've not encountered a single error so far, images are always restorable. I formerly worked with Acronis True Image but at some point all my images became corrupted so I lost faith in it.

altae, Aug 26, 2016
  13. Golden Win User

Macrium, SyncToy and robocopy scripts

Golden, Aug 26, 2016
  14. For people like John and I who don't have a lot to backup a Clone might be the answer.

A Clone allows one to just boot into it and your on your way to happy computing again.
    No need for a clean install with all those pesky upgrades and updates.

Layback Bear, Aug 26, 2016
  15. brummyfan Win User
    Me too, very easy program to use and never had any problem with it *Biggrin

brummyfan, Aug 27, 2016
Thema:

1. View Poll Results: What backup / imaging software you use? - Similar Threads - View Poll Results

2. View Poll Results: What Virtualisation software are you using

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    View Poll Results: What Virtualisation software are you using: Hi folks I'm interested in what members are using as their virtualisation software -- doesn't matter what host. Basically : Hyper-V, Virtual Box, Vmware Workstation/player, Esxi, KVM, other e,g parallels, Citrix,XEN etc). Reasons for using would be fine too and what people...
  3. View Poll Results: What Antivirus Are you Using And Why?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    View Poll Results: What Antivirus Are you Using And Why?: Hello everyone, Many people are looking for a suitable antivirus software and I thought this thread might help them a bit. Note: Of course there is nothing called "THE BEST ANTIVIRUS" and it really varies based on kind of usage and many other factors. And this topic is just...
  4. View Poll Results: What non-Microsoft, free or paid, backup software is best?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    View Poll Results: What non-Microsoft, free or paid, backup software is best?: Hi all, have a new workstation that needs safe backups. What is your most trusted, and favorite, non-Microsoft software? Thank you, Jim 128625
  5. View Poll Results: Are you using AVG Web Tuneup?

View Poll Results: Are you using AVG Web Tuneup?: This Antivirus Plugin Makes You LESS Secure AVG has been a trusted name in anti-malware and online security software for decades; over 200 million people have installed the free AVG Antivirus software. But in the last weeks of 2015, it was revealed that one of AVG’s...
  6. View Poll Results: What antivirus are you using?

View Poll Results: What antivirus are you using?: What antivirus are you using? is it the Free or Paid version? (this option is not on the poll so if you can, reply with the answer *Biggrin) 38893
  7. View Poll Results: Drive for software/programs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    View Poll Results: Drive for software/programs: Just reading another thread and I just was wondering.. how many of you put your programs/software on a driver other than the traditional C?? Like the D or some other?? For me I always let the instillation default to the C for ease of instillation and my SSD is the C driver...
  8. View Poll Results: What will you do?

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: What will you do?: Now that 10240 is officially official I decided to do the in-place reset to clean out any carried over glitches. I downloaded drivers, ninite, and office 365 installer and am now waiting waiting for the reset to finish. 9241
  9. View Poll Results: Will you jump to W10 and what are you using now.

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: Will you jump to W10 and what are you using now.: Things are moving fast with W10 at the moment. If you were asked TODAY whether you would jump to W10 what would you say ? There is a Poll attached to this thread. READ CAREFULLY HOW TO VOTE. You are voting twice. Vote for ONE of the first three options and then vote for...
  10. View Poll Results: What are you going to do?

in Windows 10 Support
    View Poll Results: What are you going to do?: Are you going to get windows 10 release or keep your current os or something else. 3602