Windows 10: View the files within a backup file without restoring the files?

Discus and support View the files within a backup file without restoring the files? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I found a backup file from an old PC earlier today.. I forgot all about this and I was wondering if I might have some old documents or pictures etc on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Pure1108, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Pure1108 Win User

View the files within a backup file without restoring the files?

I found a backup file from an old PC earlier today.. I forgot all about this and I was wondering if I might have some old documents or pictures etc on it that I could extract.
    It's showing as 0 files and 0 bytes but this might just be because it's a backup file and not , for example, a regular folder directory
    The only option I have is to 'Restore the backup' which sounds a bit daunting as if it'll completely overwrite things on my PC.
    Even if that isn't the case, I wouldn't want to be left with a load of junk files scattered all over the PC if it works in the same manner as restoring from the Recycle Bin.
    Is there a way I can view these files without actually committing to restoring them all to my current PC ?
    Screenshot 1
    Screenshot 2
    What I tried

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzBjirkaV18

:)

Pure1108, Jan 12, 2020
  2. suraswami Win User

Deleted file restore software.

Shute I never thought about system restore. But its been more than a week now, don't know if I can go back that far. But even then will it put back user files?

suraswami, Jan 12, 2020
  3. Pinchy Win User

Oh.

So your running the backup software from the server and not the computer.

Yep I see whats happened. Just for the future (althought I am sure you wont make the same mistake again) make sure you select and option that says "if it cant find the file, DONT delete". If it doesnt have that option...switch to SynbackSE.

An FYI: difference between incremental and differential is that differential copies all new / changed files since the last full backup......incremental copies all new / changed files since the last backup no matter what it was (incremental/full/differential).

Now to get your files back:

Tried a system restore on the server?

Pinchy, Jan 12, 2020
  4. suraswami Win User

I want a good File or HDD recovery software. Free would be ideal but cheap good ones would be fine.

I used Cobian backup to backup all my virtual servers and test files. I wanted to build raid, so I copied 2 x 160GB drives (total 80GB) to my server which has 1TB using the software. After copying the files I built raid on those 2 drives moving to another machine. Now when I go back to my server all the files are gone. Probably my mistake, didn't quiet understand the software and hit the wrong settings.

Now my question is can I get back all those files? I haven't formatted the drives on my server.

I tried couple of trial software, but they need huge amount to activate and restore those files.

Anyone know of free or under $30 please let me know.

suraswami, Jan 12, 2020
Thema:

1. View the files within a backup file without restoring the files? - Similar Threads - View files within

2. Restore Files from Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore Files from Backup: Hi I have some files on an external HDD which I would like to check to see what they are so when I click on the HDD a box appears asking if I want to restore files from this backup, my question is where will these files go & how do I access them. Also below in the same box it...
  3. Restore Files from Backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore Files from Backup: Hi I have some files on an external HDD which I would like to check to see what they are so when I click on the HDD a box appears asking if I want to restore files from this backup, my question is where will these files go & how do I access them. Also below in the same box it...
  4. How to view files within laptop backup on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to view files within laptop backup on external hard drive: So, I had a 9yo Toshiba laptop, the screen stopped working a couple years ago, long story short gave up and got a new one, and backed up the old one onto an external hard drive. I've now got said hard drive plugged in to the new laptop, and I was hoping I'd be able to just...
  5. File History / Backup Restore of old files not possible?

File History / Backup Restore of old files not possible?: I have the following problem / question: I use "Back up using File History" to backup all important files (documents, etc.) on my PC. I got 2 external drives. One of them I placed into the Safe Deposit Box at my local bank about a month ago (with the status as per that...
  6. Backup and restore, along with file history cannot restore certain files

Backup and restore, along with file history cannot restore certain files: So recently, I wanted to do a reset of my laptop. This involved backing up my data, which included my notes. I proceeded to find out how to back my notes up (I had already allowed for online backing up of the notes and was searching for a way to back it to an external drive)...
  7. Viewing backup files after windows 10 backup

Viewing backup files after windows 10 backup: Windows 10 backup facility seems to backup to my external hard drive but I can see the files after backup has finished. I have chosen not to hide any files but they still not there...
  8. Backup and Restore with File History

Backup and Restore with File History: I'm backing up using file history. If I indicate a folder structure such as c:\Users, do all subordinate or child folders and files contained therein get backed up. I tried a test of this and it does not seem to do the backup. Is there a switch somewhere that I'm missing?...
  9. Backup and Restore Files

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore Files: Hello and niceday to everyone. just joined this win10forum. I just finished upgrading from my win7 to this free win10Pro upgrade from microsoft, since yesterday everything works as normal and better than the previous win7. First thing I did after completing updates and...
  10. Recovering Files from Backup -- Not All Files Restored

Recovering Files from Backup -- Not All Files Restored: I recently performed a clean installation of Windows 10 after some issues I was having with the PC. The clean install went successfully with no errors along the way. Now, however, I am trying to restore files from the backup I made prior to the clean install. If I look on...