Windows 10: Viewing backup files after windows 10 backup

Discus and support Viewing backup files after windows 10 backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 10 backup facility seems to backup to my external hard drive but I can see the files after backup has finished. I have chosen not to hide any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KathyL99, Dec 17, 2018.

1. KathyL99 Win User

Viewing backup files after windows 10 backup

Windows 10 backup facility seems to backup to my external hard drive but I can see the files after backup has finished. I have chosen not to hide any files but they still not there

:)

KathyL99, Dec 17, 2018
  2. Geekoid Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Dec 17, 2018
  3. Trouble with Windows Backup.

i cleaned (i.e selected) everything, I suspect it was my post SP1 installation auto-backup files causing the problem, cleaned over 1Gb of system files and then windows backup worked without a problem.

2DividedbyZero, Dec 17, 2018
  4. twilyth Win User

Backup utility

Cobian backup will do file backups locally or to ftp, with or without encryption and compression. However it doesn't do image backups, which is really what you need if want to fully restore your system.

I've used the W7 back up program and Acronis a few times to restore a system and both work great. With Acronis though, you need to burn the recovery cd they suggest FOR EACH and EVERY machine you use it on.

One problem with W7 backup is that seems to break easily. On one machine I did an upgrade re-install and the backup utility doesn't work. No luck in trouble shooting it either. So I now rely on Acronis exclusively for image backups. But I use Cobian for file backups to ftp.

twilyth, Dec 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Viewing backup files after windows 10 backup - Similar Threads - Viewing backup files

2. Windows Backup Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Backup Files: Can i delete WBengine etl file from windows log? Its windows backup file. Is something happen after i delete it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-backup-files/61284926-7512-4cbe-b596-59c4b3a1ca47
  3. Windows Backup Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Backup Files: Can i delete WBengine etl file from windows log? Its windows backup file. Is something happen after i delete it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-backup-files/61284926-7512-4cbe-b596-59c4b3a1ca47
  4. Backup files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup files: I want to set up automatic daily backup of my files e.g. documents and photos. I don't see an option to select the time of the backup to start. How do I choose the daily backup start time?...
  5. View the files within a backup file without restoring the files?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    View the files within a backup file without restoring the files?: I found a backup file from an old PC earlier today.. I forgot all about this and I was wondering if I might have some old documents or pictures etc on it that I could extract. It's showing as 0 files and 0 bytes but this might just be because it's a backup file and not , for...
  6. Accessing backup files on cd from Windows 10 backup

Accessing backup files on cd from Windows 10 backup: I backed up my system from my computer to cds (five total) and then had the computer (HP Pavilion) reset to factory default settings. How can I access the files that are on the backup disks?...
  7. Backup files in Windows 10

Backup files in Windows 10: Why do I get a daily message to backup my files in Windows 10 when it is set for automatic backup and it shows my last backup as having been completed? * Moved from Insider...
  8. File Backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Backup: I am running windows 10 PRO (64). I have two internal drives (each 1 TB solid state - drives C and E) and three external disc drives (G - 2TB, H - 3TB and I - 2TB). I would like to back up all my files/folders on C and E as well as some other folders (like Favorites and...
  9. backup a file

backup a file: backup does not automatically backup. I have to go to settings and do it manually every time i want a file backed up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/backup-a-file/de72d377-937c-4a24-b968-13c6994296d8
  10. Size of backup file using Windows Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Size of backup file using Windows Backup: I have an HP a6547c desktop that has gone from Vista to Windows 8.1 and finally to Windows 10. Attached is a Western Digital 1TB external hard drive that was wiped clean. I started the Windows Backup program (worried at first when it said Backup Win 7) and after a number of...