Windows 10: viewing existing files after Windows 10 upgrade

Discus and support viewing existing files after Windows 10 upgrade in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just upgraded our oldest PC(an HP Pavilion dv7) from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Now, all I see is a single profile at the Login window. It is an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by irsharp23, Dec 2, 2018.

1. irsharp23 Win User

viewing existing files after Windows 10 upgrade

I just upgraded our oldest PC(an HP Pavilion dv7) from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Now, all I see is a single profile at the Login window. It is an Administrator account.

I can find previously-existing data files(Microsoft Publisher file, etc) using File Explorer, but it says I cannot open them.

What do I need to do to access data files which existed when this PC was still Windows 7?

Thanks in advance.

:)

irsharp23, Dec 2, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 2, 2018
  3. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Dec 2, 2018
  4. viewing existing files after Windows 10 upgrade

Windows 10 upgrade rant..

The free space shouldn't prevent you from upgrading to built 1607. I manually upgraded my own laptop which had only 9gigs free space left on the system drive.

I unzipped the Windows 10 Pro anniversary edition ISO on my D drive, and started the upgrade process from there. At one point the installer complained about not having enough free space on the main drive, i just had to point it to the D drive to proceed to the next step. Now the rollback installation is stored there and doesn't clog up the C drive anymore.

In your case you could insert a large sdcard to act as the required rollback drive, i'm pretty sure it would do the trick.

Oh and by the way, if you want to further compress your System files:
    • do a search Command Prompt, right-click it, and select Run as administrator.
    • Type COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:always and hit Enter.
    You'll will gain anything from 2 to 4 gigs free space after it's done.

blobster21, Dec 2, 2018
Thema:

viewing existing files after Windows 10 upgrade

1. viewing existing files after Windows 10 upgrade - Similar Threads - viewing existing files

2. Existing Windows 10 upgrades are retroactively being cancelled?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Existing Windows 10 upgrades are retroactively being cancelled?: Hi,I had a full retail licence of Windows 7 Ultimate, which I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro N a long while ago now.I have associated the digital licence with my Microsoft account and am attempting to reactivate the Windows installation after a hardware upgrade.It is my...
  3. After Windows upgrade can't view videos

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    After Windows upgrade can't view videos: [ATTACH] As the videos play they just show as a green block. This occurs for all LinkedIn videos, and others. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-windows-upgrade-cant-view-videos/b32f277b-9642-4af4-8795-ed5a19b04480
  4. Default view after closing a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default view after closing a file: Sir, when I close a file let us say, a word document from a folder, I want to see the folder's contents. It should be my default screen view. Instead of that, my screen shows some other word document that I have already opened. It annoys me to again go to my folder. How to...
  5. Brightness adjusting option does not exist after upgrade to WIndows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Brightness adjusting option does not exist after upgrade to WIndows 10: I have a HP Envy laptop initially came with Windows 8. I upgraded the operating system to Windows 10 but I am no longer able to adjust the brightness. The slide bar for brightness does not appear anywhere: not in Display setting even the f2, f3 keys on the keyboard not doing...
  6. Viewing backup files after windows 10 backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Viewing backup files after windows 10 backup: Windows 10 backup facility seems to backup to my external hard drive but I can see the files after backup has finished. I have chosen not to hide any files but they still not there...
  7. Lost 'View' of files since 1809 upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Lost 'View' of files since 1809 upgrade: Since last update (1809) I have lost any "view" of drives and files except 'General' in File Explorer. If I try to change the view to Music or Documents, Pictures or Videos, it just goes back to General. Is there a setting anywhere that will correct this? Thanks for any...
  8. Window 10 File Explorer View

in Windows 10 Customization
    Window 10 File Explorer View: Previously (2 weeks ago) when using explorer, the Preview Pane could be zoomed, using ctrl+mouse wheel. What happened, ?when in the pane it will only zoom the explorer file details section of the window?...
  9. View Windows Upgrade History in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    View Windows Upgrade History in Windows 10: How to: View Windows Upgrade History in Windows 10 How to View Windows Upgrade History in Windows 10 Each time you upgrade Windows 10 (ex: Home to Pro build upgrade[/b] of Windows 10 (ex: new build via Windows Update), this upgrade history is stored in the registry....
  10. Viewing pdf files on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Viewing pdf files on Windows 10: Hi there, I have a mid-range Toshiba laptop approx 3 years old, originally running on Windows 8 but upgraded to 10 a few months back. Not necessarily coincidental with that upgrade, but recently I have experienced problems with viewing pdf files. Whether these are email...