Windows 10: Viewing files on external hard drive

Discus and support Viewing files on external hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to view the files on my external hard drive My Passport for Mac using a Windows 10 laptop. I can see the drive and the Properties but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JEM22£, Jan 17, 2021.

1. JEM22£ Win User

Viewing files on external hard drive

I'm trying to view the files on my external hard drive My Passport for Mac using a Windows 10 laptop.

I can see the drive and the Properties but I can't view the files. It is telling me to right click the hard drive icon but that doesn't help. What is the easiest way to right click without using a mouse?

Can someone help me view the files?

Many thanks

* Moved from Mobile Devices

:)

JEM22£, Jan 17, 2021

2. saving and viewing files on an external hard drive

Hi Sam,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Yes, you may format the external hard drive. Follow the below steps.

• Connect the external hard drive to Windows 10 computer.

• Press Windows + E keys on the keyboard to the keyboard to open the file explorer.

• Locate the external hard drive on left navigation pane in File explorer.

• Right click on the external hard drive and click on
      Format

• Click Start and follow on screen instructions to format the hard drive.
    I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Jan 17, 2021
  3. Remon Ont Win User
    External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Jan 17, 2021
  4. Marco Gav Win User

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Jan 17, 2021
Thema:

1. Viewing files on external hard drive - Similar Threads - Viewing files external

2. External hard drives not overwriting the files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drives not overwriting the files: I have 2 drives that I have been using for manual backing up of my photos. I save to drive 1 and copy over the updated folders to drive 2. I just noticed that now when I drag the folder from drive 1 to drive 2 it no longer asks if I want to keep or replace the folder, and it...
  3. External hard drives not overwriting the files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drives not overwriting the files: I have 2 drives that I have been using for manual backing up of my photos. I save to drive 1 and copy over the updated folders to drive 2. I just noticed that now when I drag the folder from drive 1 to drive 2 it no longer asks if I want to keep or replace the folder, and it...
  4. ~cryptUploadData.sys file on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ~cryptUploadData.sys file on external hard drive: So, I've got home today, and unlocked my BitLocker protected 2TB WD My Passport external hard drive. As soon as I did, I've noticed its completely full, which I found extremely strange.When I opened File Explorer, I saw this "~cryptUploadData.sys" file, whose size is 982...
  5. Viewing Video Files From External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Viewing Video Files From External Hard Drive: I am looking to view video files on my XBOX 1 and smart TV's that I have stored on a external hard drive that is connected to my windows 10 PC. I can view the files that are on my PC from these devices but cannot view the files contained on my external hard drive. I have...
  6. External Hard Drive Not Displaying Files

External Hard Drive Not Displaying Files: I am attempting to access files stored on 2 external hard drives. While I am able to access system and program files, on neither one am I able to access files that I created myself that are stored in my profile. I tried this utility MiniTool Power Recovery and it is able...
  7. How to view files within laptop backup on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to view files within laptop backup on external hard drive: So, I had a 9yo Toshiba laptop, the screen stopped working a couple years ago, long story short gave up and got a new one, and backed up the old one onto an external hard drive. I've now got said hard drive plugged in to the new laptop, and I was hoping I'd be able to just...
  8. Files on External Hard Drive

Files on External Hard Drive: can i edit, rename,delete, organize photos and files that are on an external drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-on-external-hard-drive/7f4616f5-8277-4ed5-88c1-fb019bcd810a
  9. Move files to an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move files to an external hard drive: i want to move pictured from my computers hard drive to an external hard drive via a usb port. When I right click and copy and go to past... I cant find the usc hard drive option to past to? thanks...
  10. files on external hard drive

files on external hard drive: Hi, This a bit complicated We had a PC crash last year & PC world downloaded all our files on our Maxtor external hard drive now I want to put all our pictures/ photos back on & if I click on the file & find 'send' it only offers to send the file to Docs or shortcut to...