Windows 10: Viewing Olympus Raw photo files

Discus and support Viewing Olympus Raw photo files in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am running windows 10 home, version 1803 and can't view my raw photos in Photo. I have tried to download the the codec but one doesn't appear to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Robyn_, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Robyn_ Win User

Viewing Olympus Raw photo files

I am running windows 10 home, version 1803 and can't view my raw photos in Photo. I have tried to download the the codec but one doesn't appear to exist for W10. I want to be able to open my raw photos without going to my olympus view. How can this be done. This has been an ongoing frustration and with no answer. I have tried to reinstall Windows photo viewer, this too has been unsuccessful. Why is this so HARD! Please provide a useful response.

If there is an 'APP' the enable viewing of RAW files this info would be helpful, however not the most efficient fix.

:)

Robyn_, Jan 1, 2019
  2. Thonord Win User

Possible error with rendering Olympus RAW files.

The File Explorer fails to render some Olympus RAW (.ORF) image files.

Oly has at least two versions of their .ORF RAW files.

File Explorer only recognizes the "old" version. E-300 - E-500 cameras.
    From E-30 there is a second version (compressed). This second version is not rendered as an image in File Explorer, however it is rendered as an image in the Photos App. The "old" version is also rendered in Photos.

I'm guessing, but you may be using two different versions of the Oly RAW image Codec. Only the latest supports both RAW formats.

Or, perhaps the "Microsoft Camera codec pack" needs updating.

I'll be happy to provide samples of the two different .ORF Raw files - if required.

Tom

Thonord, Jan 1, 2019
  3. so how do I view a RAW file in photos?

The built in Photos app should have the necessary codecs to view RAW photos.

If you can’t already open Raw images in Windows 10, you’ll need to install a Raw image codec that supports your camera model. For example, this Sony Raw Driver (http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/downloa...)
    enables you to open Raw photos captured with supported Sony cameras. The best place to look for a codec is usually the manufacturer’s website. However, you might also find the codec required at Codecs.com (Codecs.com : Download best multimedia tools).
    Enter the keyword ‘Raw codecs’ in the site’s search box to search for codecs that open Raw photos.

You can also open Raw photos with numerous third-party image viewers. FastStone Image Viewer is one program that supports Canon, Sony, Adobe, Nikon, Panasonic and Olympus Raw file formats. Click download on this website page to save the software’s installer
    to Windows, and open its setup wizard to install the program. Then open Image Viewer, browse to the folder that includes the Raw photos and select a picture to view.

Download FastStone Image Viewer

Andre Da Costa, Jan 1, 2019
  4. Viewing Olympus Raw photo files

View *.orf Raw files

Thanks, I downloaded it and Faststone. Both allow viewing the latest Olympus Raw files. Faststone is much more useful. It directly replaces the Win 10 Photos reader.

Art

Bronx_Art_43, Jan 1, 2019
Thema:

Viewing Olympus Raw photo files

1. Viewing Olympus Raw photo files - Similar Threads - Viewing Olympus Raw

2. When I view raw photo files in windows 11 why cant I rotate to view the photo correctly?...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I view raw photo files in windows 11 why cant I rotate to view the photo correctly?...: Why is the rotate option not working for raw photo files? It worked on my computer a few weeks ago. Now when I want to view my photos in a file the raw portrait photo shows normal at first. Then when I click on it to open it changes to horizontal. What can I do to fix this. I...
  3. When I view raw photo files in windows 11 why cant I rotate to view the photo correctly?...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I view raw photo files in windows 11 why cant I rotate to view the photo correctly?...: Why is the rotate option not working for raw photo files? It worked on my computer a few weeks ago. Now when I want to view my photos in a file the raw portrait photo shows normal at first. Then when I click on it to open it changes to horizontal. What can I do to fix this. I...
  4. RAW Photos in Photos App

in Windows 10 Gaming
    RAW Photos in Photos App: Hello,I am a photographer and I shoot into Camera Raw .Cr2 format. Because I shoot massive amounts of photos, I use the photos app to quickly view and select the photos I want to bring into post production. However, the automatic correction has been messing with many of my...
  5. Viewing RAW Camera Photos in Windows 10 Problematic.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Viewing RAW Camera Photos in Windows 10 Problematic.: I recently was forced from my Windows 7 to a 6gb dedicated gaming PC due to the discontinuation in the release for updates for Windows 7.I moved to Windows 10, but using Camera Raw photos, previewing them has been so problematic.What I have noticed:1. There is no process,...
  6. Raw File in MS Photo

Raw File in MS Photo: How can I update MS Photo to read the raw files from a Canon 5D? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/raw-file-in-ms-photo/9e8b63d4-1dc1-4917-a17d-91c4950ee15c
  7. raw file photo storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    raw file photo storage: hi. advise plz.. am a hobby photographer and recently decided to try shooting raw. apx 20 pics went to my windows 10 photo storage edit and my pc just cdnt handle them .hp 570 tower 64 bit ..intel 5 I think..my pc completely slowed down . if I opened photos then clicked a raw...
  8. RAW Photo files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    RAW Photo files: Just recently upgraded a PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. This PC will be used strictly for photo processing mostly using Lightroom and Photoshop. Neither Photos or Windows Photo Viewer will open the RAW files on this particular PC. I have three other PC's that have been...
  9. Viewing RAW files in Windows Photos

Viewing RAW files in Windows Photos: Hi. I'm an amateur photographer and I shoot all my images in RAW. When viewing them via Photos it loads the image but then changes after a few seconds. The brightness, contrast, and colours will change. I don't want it doing this, not only does it slow down browsing...
  10. Possible error with rendering Olympus RAW files.

in Windows 10 Support
    Possible error with rendering Olympus RAW files.: The File Explorer fails to render some Olympus RAW (.ORF) image files. Oly has at least two versions of their .ORF RAW files. File Explorer only recognizes the "old" version. E-300 - E-500 cameras. From E-30 there is a second version (compressed). This second version...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why cnat i see my olympus *.orf photos in windows file epxlorer

2. windows photo and olympus raw

3. displaying Olympus raw images in Windows

4. unable to view raw photos on olympus viewer 3