Windows 10: Viewing Shared and Un-Shared Folders Accross a Workgroup

Discus and support Viewing Shared and Un-Shared Folders Accross a Workgroup in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two computers running Windows 10 Pro, version 18363, they are on a peer-to-peer network. For Both Computers A and B, In the network sharing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by RulerofRules, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Viewing Shared and Un-Shared Folders Accross a Workgroup

I have two computers running Windows 10 Pro, version 18363, they are on a peer-to-peer network. For Both Computers A and B, In the network sharing options for private networks, I have tuned on file and print sharing and turned on Network discovery, and automatic set up of network connected devices. In guest or public settings I have turned off network discovery and file and printer sharing. For all networks I have turned on use 128 bit encryption, turned off password protected sharing and turned on sharing so that anyone with network access can read write in the public folders and turned on sharing so anyone can access the public folders.

When I am on computer B and I double click computer A in file explorer/ Network, I can access computer A's Folders. There is a folder labeled Users, and when I click on it I see all 11 users folders including the Public user folder. If I try to access any of the 11 user folders, except for the public folder, i get the message "windows cannot access [insert folder name]. If I try to access the Public folder I have access as expected.

If I am on computer A and click on computer B, under file explorer/ network, and I click on the users folder, I can only see the Public folder, I don't see any other user folders.

A couple of days ago I could only see the public folder and I didn't see the other 11 user folder when I accessed the user folder for computer A on computer B but it has changed, because I ran the command line: net use "users" /d.

After I did this, I was able to share the users folder but I don't remember how. I have been going over my notes for the past couple of days but I didn't write anything down to show how I was able to share the user folder. I also remember seeing a check box that had to do with showing sub-folders but I can't seem to find it.

If there is anyone who might be able to help me get the user folder working correctly and to let me know if there Is there a way to only show the Public folder when I access computer A's user folder from Computer B I would appreciate it.

:)

RulerofRules, Nov 21, 2019
  2. Frogger Win User

?? How do I PW protect Folders in windows

hmmm?
    Sharing files and folders overview You can share the files and folders stored on your computer, on a network, and on the Web. The method you choose depends on whom you want to share files with, and what computer they will use to access the files.

When you share files or folders, they are not as protected as they are when you do not share them. People with access to your computer or your network might be able to read, copy, or change files that are in a shared folder. You should always be aware that the files and folders that you share are available to other people and be sure to monitor your shared files and folders on a regular basis.

Important

If your computer is not joined to a domain, you can use the Network Setup Wizard to automatically turn file and printer sharing on or off. To start the Network Setup Wizard, click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Setup Wizard.
    If you both use the same computer

You can put the files you want to share in the Shared Documents folder. Files stored in the Shared Documents folder or its subfolders are always available to other users on your computer.

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, the Shared Documents, Shared Pictures, and Shared Music folders are not available.
    If both computers are on the same network

You can share a folder or drive on your computer with others on the network. You can also control whether the files in the shared folder can be modified by other users.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    Note

If you are connected to a network domain, you will need to set the Access control for the folder or drive after sharing it. For more information, go to To set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions.
    If you want to share your files online

You can publish pictures and documents on the Web using the Web Publishing Wizard. The files will be stored in a private, online folder that you manage.

Step-by-step procedure

If you don't want others to access your files

You can prevent other users from accessing your folders and the files they contain. When your computer is connected to a domain, this is called setting permissions for your file or folder. When your computer is connected to a workgroup, this is called making your folders private.

If your computer is connected to a network domain, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure
    If your computer is connected to a workgroup, use this procedure:

Step-by-step procedure

'HELP' it can be your friend *Smile Viewing Shared and Un-Shared Folders Accross a Workgroup :)

Frogger, Nov 21, 2019
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Windows 10 shared folders not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to run the shared folders troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Shared Folders troubleshooter.
    And also refer the article below and check if it helps.

Share files and folders.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/share-files-folders

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Nov 21, 2019
  4. Ferdz Amp Win User

Viewing Shared and Un-Shared Folders Accross a Workgroup

Sharing folders over network - access denied

Hello,

To troubleshoot your concern with sharing files over the network using your Windows 10 device, we suggest that you run the Shared folders troubleshooter and check if it helps. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type in Troubleshooting in the search box and press
      Enter.
    • Click View all.
    • Click Shared Folders.
    • Click Next and follow on-screen instructions.

Hope it helps.

Ferdz Amp, Nov 21, 2019
Thema:

Viewing Shared and Un-Shared Folders Accross a Workgroup

1. Viewing Shared and Un-Shared Folders Accross a Workgroup - Similar Threads - Viewing Shared Shared

2. is workgroup share encrypted?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is workgroup share encrypted?: hi, i just wondered, when i have a workgroup share and insert the local machine user and password to access the shared folder is the username and password encrypted?or plain text?10x...
  3. is workgroup share encrypted?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is workgroup share encrypted?: hi, i just wondered, when i have a workgroup share and insert the local machine user and password to access the shared folder is the username and password encrypted?or plain text?10x...
  4. is workgroup share encrypted?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. How to view a shared folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to view a shared folder: 30 minutes ago I finished setting up sharing folders on my PC with the Microsoft Surface Book (SB) over a WiFi network. Thanks for you excellent tutorial How to Share Files and Folders Over a Network in Windows 10. I set up a folder to share, but I don't know how to navigate...
  6. Win 10 sharing with no "workgroup"

Win 10 sharing with no "workgroup": Hello, have two machines, running Win 10 Home, both I think are called 32 bit. One machine I use for myself, writing, personally created music, financial etc, the other is used by us both for e-mails, and other information. I had a kind of partial sharing between machines...
  7. Network/Workgroup Sharing

Network/Workgroup Sharing: Sirs: I have two computers set up to use the same Workgroup. When I try to connect from one computer to the other. I get a message "You do not have permission to access (the shared directory)" on the other computer. I enabled all sharing and permissions that I can find...
  8. Shared folders using Workgroup Windows 10

Shared folders using Workgroup Windows 10: I want to be able to set specific permissions for individual user accounts on other computers for when I share files/folders. When I go to Advanced Sharing and click "Share this folder" and then proceed to go to set permissions, the only location I have available is my...
  9. Folder Sharing Problem on Home (Workgroup) Network

Folder Sharing Problem on Home (Workgroup) Network: I'm John and I'm unable to share a folder on my PC with a specific person on a different PC on our home workgroup network. I can share the folder with Everyone, but Windows fails to find the specific user on our home network. We have 3 Win 10 PCs on our home network: MaryPC...
  10. Cannot browse WORKGROUP shares

Cannot browse WORKGROUP shares: I have a relatively simple network that consists of a couple Windows 10 PCs, Android devices and Raspberry Pis. For some reason I cannot access the shares provided by the PIs from anything but the android devices. It says they are in WORKGROUP (using Kodi) but they simply...