Windows 10: Virgin Media kept changing Internal IP address of computer ???

Discus and support Virgin Media kept changing Internal IP address of computer ??? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there Visiting a colleague recently near London UK who was on Virgin Media I noticed that my laptop's internal IP address was getting changed quite... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, May 1, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Virgin Media kept changing Internal IP address of computer ???

Hi there
    Visiting a colleague recently near London UK who was on Virgin Media I noticed that my laptop's internal IP address was getting changed quite frequently -- even without re-boots on 192.168.x.x so my file sharing and streaming got broken.

Usually my experience is that once you've booted up a computer even when DHCP is selected that IP address (at least the INTERNAL LAN one) doesn't change until re-boot - if then. The external IP address can change - not an issue .

My previous experiences with Virgin Media in the past haven't been that great - however it's not my house so not up to me so I can't dump that "provider" - terrible service if any Brits reading this are thinking of switching to them -- DON'T !!!! - but is there any way I can prevent this hapenning in future - I don't really want to use a fixed IP address but if the internal LAN address can get hosed up then it creates problems. Also would hose me up back in my own house where lan addresses are different anyway.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 1, 2019
  2. ukkele Win User

Internet connection to ISP's IP address instead of my IP address

I assumed that I am switching to my computer's IP address, which I discovered from the "look up ip address" website. But the command prompt still shows now, as I am clearly having a connection, the Virgin Media address under "Ethernet adapter Local Area
    Connection," which seems to be the same as the address that does prevent the connection until Microsoft diagnistics fix it.

The technical support person of Virgin Media was extraordinarily unhelpful. He kept asking all sorts of irrelevant questions, including how I paid my bill. It felt like he had something to gain by just keeping me on the phone. Eventually he said it was a
    Microsoft issue and I would have to pay £5.- to get it sorted.

From your link, it looks as if Virgin Media had to sort it out with me. Or do you agree with the Virgin person that it is a Microsoft issue? If Virgin Media, I probably should put up with the inconvenience in the hope that that Microsoft will keep fixing
    the issue on each future occasion until I can change to a different service provider.

Thank you for the useful information.

ukkele, May 1, 2019
  3. Finding IP address

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to find printer’s IP address:

1. Type Devices and Printers in the Windows search bar.
    2. Select on the printer and click on
      Manage.
    3. Click on the Ports tab.
      You will be able to find printer’s IP address under the ‘Ports’ tab.

Few printers also have a “Test print” option on the printer. When you print a test page from network printer, the page shows the IP address along with other details.

Note: If it is set on DHCP mode the IP address will constantly change.
    The IP address is assigned automatically by your router using a protocol called DHCP.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, May 1, 2019
  4. nora.e Win User

IP address

is it posible to change the IP address on a computer? if so how?

nora.e, May 1, 2019
Thema:

1. Virgin Media kept changing Internal IP address of computer ??? - Similar Threads - Virgin Media kept

2. How to change IP address

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change IP address: I have reason to believe that hackers have changed my IP address. If I do change it will I need to make any other changes as far as internet connections etc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-ip-address/154b7011-d926-4f90-a3ac-82db529b1251
  3. change ip address

change ip address: I need help changing my ip address can you get on my machine and change it for me ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-ip-address/cbd3a599-43f7-4737-aeae-4a2b6de28873
  4. change ip address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    change ip address: I need help changing my ip address can you get on my machine and change it for me ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-ip-address/cbd3a599-43f7-4737-aeae-4a2b6de28873
  5. change ip address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Change IP4v IP Address

Change IP4v IP Address: I have a network camera with the default IP Address as 192.168.5.163. My PC runs Windows 10, 20H2 and is currently using DHCP. It is connected to a POE switch that gives my PC this IPv4 IP Address 192.168.0.26. How do I change it so that I can access the camera? Thanks....
  7. How to change an IP address

How to change an IP address: I am setting up a new laptop with Windows 10. I have always used Mozilla (sorry) and downloaded it and set it up with my email address. Now it is telling me that my IP address is that of my old computer (also does the same if I use the Edge browser). What should I do? Thank...
  8. Change my IP address

Change my IP address: How on earth do I randomly change my IP address? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-my-ip-address/2923e617-4618-4df9-8bfa-181e82098d5b
  9. UK Virgin Media

UK Virgin Media: VM are promising their UK customers 1gbs BB during the coming year. It will require a new router when it happens. I had not long ago installed a new router so it might be one thats 'ready'. At present I m on nearly 400mbs. I understand this has already started on the south...
  10. Temporarily change computer IP address

Temporarily change computer IP address: I'm hoping someone can advise me I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to network settings. I bought a Dahua IP Camera which comes with a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.108 and my home network is on 192.168.0.xxx. I know I need to temporarily set my computer to use an...