Windows 10: Virgin.net email provider ceasing to exist.

Discus and support Virgin.net email provider ceasing to exist. in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello Two things have recently happened 1/ just had my W10 auto upgrade and all is working well. 2/ found out that my email provider virgin.net is... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Barnaby44, Nov 28, 2015.

1. Barnaby44 Win User

Virgin.net email provider ceasing to exist.

Hello
    Two things have recently happened
    1/ just had my W10 auto upgrade and all is working well.
    2/ found out that my email provider virgin.net is ceasing to exist.

I'm running this email through windows live mail and all seems to be working well.
    I have always used windows for my email and would like to continue doing that but how do I move all my historical emails over to a new provider before Virgin stop/cancel their product.
    If I take their BB they will move me over to their email client free of charge keeping all my stored emails, but if not it seems I will lose all ability to see them anymore.

I've had this email address for over 20 years and have some very important emails I don't want to lose.

I can see under file there is import / export options and initially I have exported all my emails to a folder on my desktop so I've got them.
    Once I have chosen a new email tag is it just a case of importing them back into there and also letting everyone know my new tag and changing all my email site tags too.
    What a pain.

Thanks.

:)

Barnaby44, Nov 28, 2015

2. Windows 10 email problem

In the past couple of days our computer Windows 10 email system has displayed a problem-notice on our email tab for our virgin.net account. At the top of the windows 10 email page appears a cream-coloured line with the words "Your Virgin account settings
    are out of date" and there is a tab saying "Fix account", and a second tab saying "Dismiss".

Also, there is a little triangle with an exclamation mark inside it, and this sign appears on the tabe for our virgin.net emails.

If I click "Fix account", up comes a square with the words "Attention Required" and below it are boxes asking us to fill in our username (for the virgin.net email) and our password, and it asks us "Please update the password for this account".

We do as it asks us and fill in the various boxes with the password and our email address (virgin.net) and for a few seconds the Warning Triangle with exclamation mark disappears, and the cream line at the top vanishes and the problem appears to have been
    resolved.

But after a few seconds it all comes back!

No matter how many times we do what it asks, this nuisance keeps recurring.

This seems (to me) to be a problem with the Microsoft Windows system: I say this because when I go onto the internet and go to the Virgin media email webpage, we can easily and quickly log in there to see and send emails.

What is the matter with the Windows system?

Why does this nuisance happen?

Why does it not get resolved?

What should we (or you) do?

AnneHawson, Nov 28, 2015
  3. 'Unable to log in. Try again.' Why won't it let me access my emails all the details are correct!

I found this on
    mobilementalism.com/manual-configuration/
    i am gathering this has something to do with it.. but not really that high tech so have no idea of how to set up a smtp account without **bleep** up everything.... does any one have any answers?... can anyone explain
    this to me in english and a simple how to?

3.1 Configuring your mail server settings
    If you are trying to download email from your work or home account, then the incoming server and outgoing server will be two separate servers on two different networks. This is because most ISPs expect you to use their network service when accessing their
    email server for outgoing mail.

For example, if you usually use Virgin.net as your ISP, and you use Virgin.net’s email server, you will only be able to send emails using that server if you connect to it using your Virgin.net connection. Using your mobile phone, however, means you are connecting
    to it your using mobile operator’s network connection.

Your connection attempt will therefore be refused, as the ISP will not know who you are, because you are not connecting using their network. Note that this is only the case for outgoing mail: for incoming mail, all the ISP needs is a valid username and password
    – the ones you’ve already entered into your existing email client (e.g. Outlook).

To get round this, you need to setup an outgoing (SMTP) email account with your network operator, and choose the settings provided by them as your outgoing server. Your incoming server will still be that of your existing email account (e.g. Virgin.net).
    You will then have two separate email channels, each using separate networks and separate email server: one for outgoing mail, and one for incoming mail. You send email out using your mobile operator’s network and server, and receive email in using your mobile
    operator’s network and your existing email account from your ISP.

The reason for this is simple: your ISP does not recognize your connection, but your mobile operator does. So you setup an outgoing server with your mobile operator, and the server will recognize you because you are connecting to it using your mobile operator’s
    network. The operator controls both the outgoing email server and the network, so can authenticate you to the server based on your network connection.

For the incoming email, however, all you need are the username and password details that you normally use to access that email account. It’s a curious fact that outgoing email use is authenticated using the network connection used, but incoming email use
    is authenticated using a username and password. To find the username and password, simply look in Outlook’s account settings for the username, and hunt down that scrap of paper where you wrote your email password! Alternatively, log onto your ISP’s web site
    and choose “I’ve forgotten my password, please email it to me”!

ilovebillydot, Nov 28, 2015
  4. Barnaby44 Win User

H E L L O ooo000OO.

Does anybody have a helpful few words or questions on my above post.

Thanks

Barnaby44, Nov 30, 2015
  5. Hi

I guess you have had one of the virgin free email accounts they are now discontinuing? That's rather unfortunate. When I moved email providers, what I did was

1) Create new email account (I recommend Gmail or Outlook.com , any other free service will be a crapfest)
    2) If you are planning on using this with Windows Live Mail, add it into there using IMAP

3) Drag and drop all emails from the old account into the new account's folders through Windows Live Mail

Yes, it really is that simple. Hope this helps.

Maltesespace, Dec 1, 2015
  6. Are you using a Virgin email client then? Either way you must be able to copy the data into a new client.

Most important thing to do is to email your address book (using BCC) with your new address.

nigelmercier, Dec 1, 2015
  7. Barnaby44 Win User
    Thanks gents I'll try that.
    I did get back in touch with Virgin and they are now saying it will just be the address that will cease to pass on any emails but all my historical emails will continue to exist in my Windows Live Mail and not disappear as they first said.

I hope that is right as all I now need to do is just create an email address in say Gmail or similar and replace it as my main address on all the visited sites that may need to contact me.

Thanks again gents most helpful.

Barnaby44, Dec 1, 2015
  8. Virgin.net email provider ceasing to exist.

This is why I always advise my clients to register a domain and use an associated email address.

nigelmercier, Dec 1, 2015
  9. Wullail Win User
    as nigelmercier said , register a cheap domain and then it won't matter WHO you have an email address with , you can just re-direct the email to any provider and nobody will ever know the difference.

I use Domains, Hosting, Email, Dedicated Servers, & Cloud | Fasthosts , they're cheap , reliable and support is great , mailbox redirects are really easy to configure too.

Wullail, Dec 1, 2015
  10. swarfega Win User
    You don't need to buy a domain, just make sure you use a reliable product like gmail. As mentioned above, try and import your emails and contacts into gmail. I am unfamiliar with the way Virgin do things so can't help with the specifics.

swarfega, Dec 1, 2015
  11. Barnaby44 Win User
    Thanks again all.
    I've had the virgin.net email since I started BB, in the days of dial-up and always thought I OWNED THE ADDRESS and it would follow me. A bit naïve on my part but after 30+ years I believed that to be the case.

I shall follow the guide lines given above to make sure that can't happen again.

Best and a early Merry Christmas too.

Barnaby44, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Virgin.net email provider ceasing to exist. - Similar Threads - Virgin net email

2. Wi-fi ceased to exist on my MSI GS75 Stealth laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-fi ceased to exist on my MSI GS75 Stealth laptop: The issue:My laptop no longer registers that it has a Wi-fi function, only Ethernet and airplane mode appear in network options.Platform:Using a laptop on windows 10, my wireless network driver is "KillerR Wi-Fi 6 AX1650x 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter 200NGW"Attempted...
  3. Wi-fi ceased to exist on my MSI GS75 Stealth laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-fi ceased to exist on my MSI GS75 Stealth laptop: The issue:My laptop no longer registers that it has a Wi-fi function, only Ethernet and airplane mode appear in network options.Platform:Using a laptop on windows 10, my wireless network driver is "KillerR Wi-Fi 6 AX1650x 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter 200NGW"Attempted...
  4. Wi-fi ceased to exist on laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-fi ceased to exist on laptop: The issue:My laptop no longer registers that it has a Wi-fi function, only Ethernet and airplane mode appear in network options.Platform:Using a laptop on windows 10, my wireless network driver is "KillerR Wi-Fi 6 AX1650x 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter 200NGW" Attempted...
  5. Wi-fi ceased to exist on laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wi-fi ceased to exist on laptop: The issue:My laptop no longer registers that it has a Wi-fi function, only Ethernet and airplane mode appear in network options.Platform:Using a laptop on windows 10, my wireless network driver is "KillerR Wi-Fi 6 AX1650x 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter 200NGW" Attempted...
  6. Wi-fi ceased to exist on laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Virgin email will not load in windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Virgin email will not load in windows 10: Virgin email wont load in widows 10. It appears after log in but just keeps loading up. When the page does load, the moment you type anything in it starts to reload and continues in this cycle all the time. Strangely enough It is okay no problem on a Mac. Everything else on...
  8. Is it email providers or the facebook servers?

in Browsers and Email
    Is it email providers or the facebook servers?: I was wondering if anyone ever came across this before. I have tried to see if anyone on facebook, or their community forum, or other social media forums have an answer to this and I've come up with nothing. I've also reported the issue to facebook twice. I've also reached...
  9. Am receiving emails in Triplicate from virgin media

in Windows 10 Customization
    Am receiving emails in Triplicate from virgin media: I have set up my email account on a new computer and now I am receiving emails in Triplicate from virgin media, does anyone know how to change this....
  10. Intalling existing printer with a new Virgin broadband hub

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intalling existing printer with a new Virgin broadband hub: After having to replace my Virgin Hub, I have tried via computer settings to get my HP 2540 printer scanner to print from my laptop I have now uninstalled the printer and asked the computer to rediscover it but I had to put name in manually. It...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. does @virgin.net still exist?

2. 10 december 2018 no emails received on virgin.net