Windows 10: Virtual desktop help?

Discus and support Virtual desktop help? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; So I just built a new triple monitor pc build and installed windows 10. When windows boots up I see three monitors which as associated with desktop 1.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Glenn, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Glenn Win User

Virtual desktop help?

So I just built a new triple monitor pc build and installed windows 10. When windows boots up I see three monitors which as associated with desktop 1. When I go to create a new virtual desktop I get a new set of three desktops. What I am trying to do is have each of the monitors acts as their own virtual desktop. (IE not share any applications with other desktops) is this possible with windows 10?

SO if I open outlook on left monitor and than go to the right monitor and open outlook again it will open a second session unique to that desktop only.

:)

Glenn, Oct 4, 2015

2. Undesired virtual desktop change

If I have a Word document in (Virtual) Desktop 1, then I go to (Virtual) Desktop 2 and open another document, it automatically swithces to the (Virtual) Desktop 1! It does not make sense. If I clicked to open the document in (Virtual) Desktop 2, why does
    it open to (Virtual) Desktop 1? That is not the correct/expected behaviour.

This is just an example, since it happens with many other applications.

Best regards,

Hugo Costelha, Oct 4, 2015
  3. OneNote "Dock to Desktop" Feature Uses Screenspace on all Virtual Desktops

I'm using the virtual desktop feature on Windows 10 and noticed that if you trigger the OneNote "Dock to Desktop" feature, the screen space consumed on the side of the screen persists through all virtual desktops. How can I avoid that? For example, docking
    OneNote on virtual desktop 1 will make virtual desktop 2 consume limited screen space.

stanimal21, Oct 4, 2015
  4. 10userNYC Win User

Virtual desktop help?

I have dual monitors. When I go to Settings > System > Display and click "Identify" I get a #1 on my left monitor and a #2 on my right monitor. You want two or three single-monitor, virtual desktops? So physical or virtual #1 would be on monitor #1 only, Virtual #2 would be on monitor #2 only and virtual #3 would be on monitor #3 only?

I just tried to resize a virtual desktop by going into monitor settings in virtual desktop #2 and limiting that to only one monitor and it was a global change so no luck. The whole computer shut down monitor #2 on all desktops. I'm much more of a sysadmin guy and heavy into ESXi and Linux so I can't help much but I would suggest two options:

First, (I think this violates TOS and I may not be able to suggest this but I'll risk getting yelled at...) I assume all editions of W10 allow only one RDP session at a time. Do the multiple RDP hack/mod. Create two new usernames and RDP back into your own machine. I just tried it and It works on Server 2012r2. I RDP'd in as Administrator and then through an RDP session as Administrator I was able to RDP into two other RDP sessions with different usernames. You already have your username so create username2 and username3 and then RDP into each of those and put them on your monitor #2 and #3.

Second, more complicated and possibly expensive (licensing) and resource intensive, turn on Hyper-V and run two VMs inside your desktop. From there maximize their consoles on your Monitor #2 and #3.

Are you specifically wondering about Outlook? No idea what version you are running but in 2013 OWA (outlook web access) your administrator can enable multiple concurrent web logins to the same account which accomplishes the same thing. I would caution you though because it creates a database disaster.

10userNYC, Oct 6, 2015
Thema:

Virtual desktop help?

1. Virtual desktop help? - Similar Threads - Virtual desktop help

2. Virtual Desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
    Virtual Desktops: Hi there, With the new windows update, I am unable to create new virtual desktops using keyboard shortcuts and task view, as well as being unable to switch between them. Would like a fix, please....
  3. CTRL+D= New Virtual Desktop. [HELP]

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    CTRL+D= New Virtual Desktop. [HELP]: hey guys, a couple days ago i had a windows update, and since then, whenever i press ctrl+d windows opens a new virtual desktop. today i finally found out what that "window swish" was, and i had to remove 63 virtual desktops... it doesent matter what i do, if its working...
  4. virtual desktop

virtual desktop: hello im trying to tern off virtual desktop when i miss click the win key and tap i did try regedit to disable it and i did try Gpedit.msc i heat this virtual desktop and i need help even if u can help me deleted i will appreciated...
  5. virtual desktops

virtual desktops: I want to use a virtual desktop for some of my apps that I currently have on my main desktop. I do not know how to move the apps from the main desktop to the virtual one. Please help....
  6. Help! Screen zoomed in from Virtual Desktop!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help! Screen zoomed in from Virtual Desktop!: [IMG] I connected my laptop (MSI, running windows 10) to an Oculus Quest headset, and upon downloading the application Virtual Desktop, my entire screen has been zoomed in, even when disconnected from the headset. Chrome, Steam, and all my other applications are zoomed in....
  7. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops: I just created a second virtual desktop, but all I get out of it is a mirror image of the original desktop. Whatever I do on one shows up on the other. How can I make the desktops independent of each other? Thanks, Bill...
  8. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops: I have created more than 13 000 virtual desktops (don't ask how and why, because I can), and my computer works slow. How can I close all this desktops in one click? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-desktops/6b930387-6d82-4d5b-8580-1e84356b20c1
  9. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops: Right now, if I have three virtual desktops created, and I open Sticky Notes in VD 1 and then if I open Sticky Notes in VD 2, I sends me back to VD 1. This issue is very annoying and is making it very hard to used virtual desktops. Please Help!...
  10. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops: When I open an App, i.e. Excel, on one Virtual Desktop and then try and open an excel doc. from file explorer on a second virtual desktop the doc opens up and switches views to the original virtual desktop making using virtual desktops frustrating and time consuming. Is...