Windows 10: Virtual Desktop malfunction

Discus and support Virtual Desktop malfunction in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all. I hope you all are doing well. It's been awhile since I have seen inside of these walls, but here I am, with a head-scratcher. My wife's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by James7679, Dec 31, 2016.

1. James7679 Win User

Virtual Desktop malfunction

Hello all. I hope you all are doing well. It's been awhile since I have seen inside of these walls, but here I am, with a head-scratcher. My wife's laptop, according to her, "removed all of the desktop contents by itself." After doing some digging, the content is still there, it's just spread across four different desktops. Devices and Printers shows four "Generic Non-PnP" monitors, Device Manager shows the same, with the addition of the physical LCD, and accessing the Windows display settings shows four different screens as well. Using the Task View does not pull up the different screens and using the keyboard shortcuts yield additional frustration.

So far, the only way I have been able to successfully access the other displays is by changing the default display to the one I wish to access. While doing this, I did manage to lock myself out of even being able to see the screen and had to do a system restore. SFC shows no errors, all drivers, Windows and BIOS are up to date. Running current Avast Premier.

Your assistance is appreciated.

James

:)

James7679, Dec 31, 2016

2. Undesired virtual desktop change

If I have a Word document in (Virtual) Desktop 1, then I go to (Virtual) Desktop 2 and open another document, it automatically swithces to the (Virtual) Desktop 1! It does not make sense. If I clicked to open the document in (Virtual) Desktop 2, why does
    it open to (Virtual) Desktop 1? That is not the correct/expected behaviour.

This is just an example, since it happens with many other applications.

Best regards,

Hugo Costelha, Dec 31, 2016
  3. OneNote "Dock to Desktop" Feature Uses Screenspace on all Virtual Desktops

I'm using the virtual desktop feature on Windows 10 and noticed that if you trigger the OneNote "Dock to Desktop" feature, the screen space consumed on the side of the screen persists through all virtual desktops. How can I avoid that? For example, docking
    OneNote on virtual desktop 1 will make virtual desktop 2 consume limited screen space.

stanimal21, Dec 31, 2016
  4. Virtual Desktop malfunction

I have to ask, can you do a restore to point further back, before all this started, say a week before it started.

Caledon Ken, Jan 1, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Jan 1, 2017
  6. AndreTen Win User
    Don't think these are virtual desktops (you probably can't switch between them with WIN+arrow).

Go to device manager and try to uninstall them. Reinstalling graphic card drivers wold be fine, too.

Some update... Found some more similar threads involving Dell and HP laptops. Different solutions (down to hardware problems).
    Try to disable display port in BIOS or Device manager.
    Also check to see if any display enhancing app was installed.

AndreTen, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Virtual Desktop malfunction

1. Virtual Desktop malfunction - Similar Threads - Virtual Desktop malfunction

2. malfunction on desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    malfunction on desktop: hi, i just want to know why when i press letters and arrow keys other tings show up like when i press "s" the start menu will show up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/malfunction-on-desktop/11edd177-80e1-46aa-b29e-9d5283684c11
  3. Virtual Keyboard leading to Windows malfunctioning

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Virtual Keyboard leading to Windows malfunctioning: On bying the PC i didnt notice the keyboard layout was different - even doesnt include my native language . So i use the builtin one but after some time of usage , applications starts to behave weirdly . For instance when i click for a new tab of Edge , a new window pops up ,...
  4. Virtual Desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
    Virtual Desktops: Hi there, With the new windows update, I am unable to create new virtual desktops using keyboard shortcuts and task view, as well as being unable to switch between them. Would like a fix, please....
  5. virtual desktop

virtual desktop: hello im trying to tern off virtual desktop when i miss click the win key and tap i did try regedit to disable it and i did try Gpedit.msc i heat this virtual desktop and i need help even if u can help me deleted i will appreciated...
  6. virtual desktops

virtual desktops: I want to use a virtual desktop for some of my apps that I currently have on my main desktop. I do not know how to move the apps from the main desktop to the virtual one. Please help....
  7. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops: I just created a second virtual desktop, but all I get out of it is a mirror image of the original desktop. Whatever I do on one shows up on the other. How can I make the desktops independent of each other? Thanks, Bill...
  8. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops: I have created more than 13 000 virtual desktops (don't ask how and why, because I can), and my computer works slow. How can I close all this desktops in one click? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-desktops/6b930387-6d82-4d5b-8580-1e84356b20c1
  9. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops: Right now, if I have three virtual desktops created, and I open Sticky Notes in VD 1 and then if I open Sticky Notes in VD 2, I sends me back to VD 1. This issue is very annoying and is making it very hard to used virtual desktops. Please Help!...
  10. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops: When I open an App, i.e. Excel, on one Virtual Desktop and then try and open an excel doc. from file explorer on a second virtual desktop the doc opens up and switches views to the original virtual desktop making using virtual desktops frustrating and time consuming. Is...