Windows 10: Virtual Desktop Option with Separate Shortcuts

Discus and support Virtual Desktop Option with Separate Shortcuts in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I tried out the Task View that is built into Windows 10 to see if it would help me with separating my desktop view for the different tasks that I use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Poorman65, May 28, 2020.

1. Poorman65 Win User

Virtual Desktop Option with Separate Shortcuts

I tried out the Task View that is built into Windows 10 to see if it would help me with separating my desktop view for the different tasks that I use my desktop for. Unfortunately it appears that it keeps the same Desktop but just organizes running applications.

Outside of going to a full VM like VirtualBox, what alternatives are there for me?

To clarify, I use my desktop for different functions such as Game Development, Gaming, & Software Development. Each of these has a collection of Applications, Tools, Folders, and Files that are unique to their function. Right now I have folders on my Desktop to separate them. I would prefer to have the actual desktop view only contain things that are for the particular task and not everything cluttered onto a single desktop with the same background.

I appreciate any help!!!!

:)

Poorman65, May 28, 2020
  2. Martmcd Win User

Separate shortcuts and files for each virtual desktop?

Hi Ethan,

this has been suggested to Microsoft but the feature has not yet been added.

you can add your voice (or vote) to the feedback using the feedback app.

Feedback Hub - Windows Insider

in the meantime you could put the shortcuts into folders so that they are tucked away, then open the relevant folder on the different virtual desktops

Martmcd, May 29, 2020
  3. EthanDale Win User
    Separate shortcuts and files for each virtual desktop?

I have 3 different virtual desktops set up. I want one to have all of my shortcuts to steam games, another to have all of my productivity tools, and then another to have all my personal/leisure use
    links. Is there a way to have shortcuts (and maybe even files) specific to each virtual desktop?

EthanDale, May 29, 2020
  4. Virtual Desktop Option with Separate Shortcuts

virtual desktops programs shortcuts

I just updated to Win 10

and wondering about virtual desktop

1 - virtual desktop

these will be saved when shutting down ?

2 - program shortcuts and file shortcuts

on my main desktop I have a lot of shortcut for programs and files

is there a way to move shortcuts and how for program or files to another virtual desktop?

thanks for any feedback

RickyJohn_747, May 29, 2020
Thema:

Virtual Desktop Option with Separate Shortcuts

1. Virtual Desktop Option with Separate Shortcuts - Similar Threads - Virtual Desktop Option

2. Virtual desktop switching shortcut remapping.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual desktop switching shortcut remapping.: I remapped ctrl + win + left/right to alt + left/right key using powertoys keyboard manager but the window focus does not work for the new shortcut, is there any way to solve this problem?...
  3. Virtual desktop switching shortcut remapping.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual desktop switching shortcut remapping.: I remapped ctrl + win + left/right to alt + left/right key using powertoys keyboard manager but the window focus does not work for the new shortcut, is there any way to solve this problem?...
  4. Desktop URL Shortcuts Open as separate window ..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop URL Shortcuts Open as separate window ..: I prefer some of my desktop short cuts for browser URLs to open as separate windows to provide more of seperate APP feel vs a new browser TAB. I'm using Google Chrome Version 111.0.5563.147 Official Build 64-bit to accomplish that , creating short cuts and checking the box to...
  5. Desktop URL Shortcuts Open as separate window ..

Desktop URL Shortcuts Open as separate window ..: I prefer some of my desktop short cuts for browser URLs to open as separate windows to provide more of seperate APP feel vs a new browser TAB. I'm using Google Chrome Version 111.0.5563.147 Official Build 64-bit to accomplish that , creating short cuts and checking the box to...
  6. New Virtual Desktops do not allow separate sessions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Virtual Desktops do not allow separate sessions: Windows SpecificationsEdition Windows 10 ProVersion 22H2Installed on ‎13/‎01/‎2021OS build 19045.2604Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0IssueWhen I press Win + Tab to open the Tasks View and click the New Desktop button, I get just an additional desktop...
  7. Virtual Desktop Shortcuts not working?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtual Desktop Shortcuts not working?: I have a HP ProBook x360 11 G1 EE, running Windows 10 version 10.0.18363 Build 18363. I use the virtual desktop shortcuts a lot. Recently, they all just stopped working. I can't create a virtual desktop, I can't quickly access Task View, I can't switch between them with ctrl...
  8. Virtual Desktop Shortcuts not working?

Virtual Desktop Shortcuts not working?: I have a HP ProBook x360 11 G1 EE, running Windows 10 version 10.0.18363 Build 18363. I use the virtual desktop shortcuts a lot. Recently, they all just stopped working. I can't create a virtual desktop, I can't quickly access Task View, I can't switch between them with ctrl...
  9. Separate wallpapers for virtual desktops?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Separate wallpapers for virtual desktops?: I know there's a way to set up different wallpapers for multiple physical monitors, but I was wondering if there was a way to do that with virtual ones, too. I've tried going to the specific desktop and changing it, but it ends up applying to all of them anyway. I have a...
  10. Virtual Desktops - Custom Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virtual Desktops - Custom Shortcuts: It seems windows doesn't have a feature to have different shortcuts for the virtual desktops. If it's possible can someone recommend a program I can customize my virtual desktops to have different shortcuts. For example I would like Desktop 1 to be clean and then Desktop 2...