Windows 10: Virtual Desktop "show window on all desktops" is not remembered between sessions

Discus and support Virtual Desktop "show window on all desktops" is not remembered between sessions in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi Just got a new PC, and reinstalled Win10. I have a two monitor setup, and use the Virtual Desktops feature. On my old PC when I marked a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Simon Bruun, Oct 24, 2019.

1. Virtual Desktop "show window on all desktops" is not remembered between sessions

Hi

Just got a new PC, and reinstalled Win10.

I have a two monitor setup, and use the Virtual Desktops feature.

On my old PC when I marked a window/application with "show window on all desktops" win10 would remember this between sessions / logoffs / reboots.

But on my new PC it does not remember this between sessions. Do you have any idea what is going on here ?

The "show window on all desktops" feature works just fine, I just don't want to set this check mark at every logon for this application.

:)

Simon Bruun, Oct 24, 2019

2. Windows 10 Virtual Desktop won't support "Use all my monitors..." in Remote Desktop

Anyone else seeing this?

• Create a new desktop with the Task View button.
    • Switch to the new, empty desktop.
    • Open a remote desktop session, selecting the "Use all my monitors for the remote screen" option.
    • The remote session opens on all screens, as desired, but it is also on all desktops.

I would like the remote session to "stay" on the virtual desktop it was opened on and leave everything else alone. This current state is rather worthless.

Dann_Borden, Oct 24, 2019
  3. Derty Win User
    Virtual Desktops showing apps not in certain desktops

Hi, I have a problem with W10 virtual desktops.

I'll explain it step by step :

Go to virtual desktop 1
    Open full windowed Chrome
    Go to virtual desktop 2
    Open two different full windowed excels
    Hit windows-tab

And you end up in this mess i'm attaching as a screenshot.

If you click on destktop 3 icon, you'll be there, but excel will be shown, full windowed, as if you were on desktop 2.
    If you then minimize it, it goes to the desktop 2 taskbar.

If you click on desktop 1 icon, you'll get there, but excels will be shown instead of Chrome. If you put the mouse over desktop 1 icon and then click Chrome above virtual desktops, you'll get to desktop 1 with Chrome being shown as normal.

If you close one of the two excels, virtual desktops works again as expected.

What can I test to solve this mess?

Thanx a lot, I've been expecting a fix in every new compilation, with no luck.

César

Derty, Oct 24, 2019
  4. sirBait Win User

Virtual Desktop "show window on all desktops" is not remembered between sessions

Virtual desktops

In the article you linked it says talks about 4 goals Microsoft has with virtual desktops:

• Give you more desktop space to group related windows
    • Help you quickly locate and switch to any window or group of windows
    • Let you easily re-organize your groups and move windows as tasks evolve
    • Keep you in control of the degree of separation between your grouped windows
    Not being able to control what desktop the program opens on really doesn't fit in with these goals.

Give me one good reason for why it is suppose force me to change virtual desktop when I open a program, just one good reason and I will consider to drop the issue. To me this sounds like virtual desktops isn't ready yet and you refuse to acknowledge that
    there are bugs, because this makes it very hard to work with multiply virtual desktops.

sirBait, Oct 24, 2019
Thema:

Virtual Desktop "show window on all desktops" is not remembered between sessions

1. Virtual Desktop "show window on all desktops" is not remembered between sessions - Similar Threads - Virtual Desktop show

2. Switching Between Virtual Desktop Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switching Between Virtual Desktop Not Working: After my Laptop sleeps, I cannot use any shortcut to switch between virtual desktops. Neither the Ctrl+Win+ArrowLeft/ArrowRight nor swiping left or right with four fingers on my trackpad. It goes back to working if I restart my device or occasionally after my machine...
  3. Switching Between Virtual Desktop Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switching Between Virtual Desktop Not Working: After my Laptop sleeps, I cannot use any shortcut to switch between virtual desktops. Neither the Ctrl+Win+ArrowLeft/ArrowRight nor swiping left or right with four fingers on my trackpad. It goes back to working if I restart my device or occasionally after my machine...
  4. Can windows remember virtual desktops after reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can windows remember virtual desktops after reboot: The virtual desktops would be amazing if it could have a way to remember them desktops after a reboot. Unfortunately, without this facility, they are pretty pointless... particularly with windows forcing reboots from time to time....
  5. Can windows remember virtual desktops after reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can windows remember virtual desktops after reboot: The virtual desktops would be amazing if it could have a way to remember them desktops after a reboot. Unfortunately, without this facility, they are pretty pointless... particularly with windows forcing reboots from time to time....
  6. Virtual Desktops between multiple displays

in Windows 10 Customization
    Virtual Desktops between multiple displays: When are you going to incorporate the option for multiple desktops between multiple displays, instead of just an extended display? This would be really useful. Thank you....
  7. Virtual Desktop -- Show this window on SOME desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
    Virtual Desktop -- Show this window on SOME desktops: I know how to show a window in all desktops when using virtual desktops, but what I want is to show a window in SOME virtual desktops. EX: I want desktop 1 to be my web browser. I want desktop 2 and 3 to be a powerpoint presentation. EX: I want desktop 1 to be presenter...
  8. Quick switch between virtual desktops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick switch between virtual desktops: There has to be a shortcut for quickly switching between desktops. I have used 3 rd party applications but they're just not stable enough. I can see why this has been a problem for the developers. Considering there can be any number of virtual desktops coming up with a...
  9. Switch Between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Switch Between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10: How to: Switch Between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 How to Switch Between Virtual Desktops in Windows 10 Task View is a virtual desktop manager in Windows 10 that allows you quickly switch between all of your open apps on multiple virtual desktops. Create custom...
  10. Virtual Desktops showing apps not in certain desktops

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual Desktops showing apps not in certain desktops: Hi, I have a problem with W10 virtual desktops. I'll explain it step by step : Go to virtual desktop 1 Open full windowed Chrome Go to virtual desktop 2 Open two different full windowed excels Hit windows-tab And you end up in this mess i'm attaching as a...