Windows 10: Virtual Desktops - apps don't run as single instances

Discus and support Virtual Desktops - apps don't run as single instances in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there Not sure if this is a real problem or merely a niggle -- I LIKE the idea of Virtual desktops but IMO shouldn't each desktop run an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Oct 2, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Virtual Desktops - apps don't run as single instances

Hi there

Not sure if this is a real problem or merely a niggle -- I LIKE the idea of Virtual desktops but IMO shouldn't each desktop run an application unaware that another instance might be running on another desktop. The OS itself can keep track of shared storage areas etc so we aren't talking here about running separate virtual machines.

What I'm thinking of as an example is say I'm running EXCEL on VD1 and I'm downloading data from the web. On VD2 I should be able to start another instance of EXCEL and download data from another website.

BOTH applications should still run irrespective of which desktop is the active one. I get the impression that the NON active desktops don't still continue to run processes in the background if they are essentially a "shared process" like EXCEL.

However the implementation is not too bad -- Linux though does it much better with up to 24 desktops if you really need them. !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Oct 2, 2014

2. New instances of an application open in incorrect virtual desktop

Hi Julian,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

Please reply: Is the issue confined to a single app or all the applications?

Are you able to open MS-Word on virtual desktops?

Virtual desktop works exactly the same as a normal desktop but making it more convenient and helping us organize our tasks.

There are a few applications whose instances can be created just once, e.g. Feedback app, therefore, when you create an instance of this app on a virtual desktop, it redirects you to the previous desktop.

However, you can create multiple instances of applications like MS-Word in virtual desktops. Once an instance of this application is closed, it will redirect you to the previously opened application. This is how virtual desktop works.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Oct 2, 2014
  3. New instances of an application open in incorrect virtual desktop

We know how it works... you do not need to tell us that... because we have been using Windows 10 for quite some time now.

What All the users here ask is how we disable those features...??

When we work on a given Virtual Desktop, we do not want Windows to drag us to any other virtual desktops that we have opened in our PCs.

We want to stay where we are.

So ANSWER THE QUESTION ASKED please...

ChashikaKalubowila, Oct 2, 2014
  4. strollin Win User

I just did a simple experiment where I had 3 desktops open with a command prompt open in 2 of them. From the 2 command prompts, I then pinged different websites in each in a loop. I could switch to the 3rd desktop and when I clicked on the "Task View" icon on the Taskbar, I could see mini live views of each desktop and could see that the 2 running the ping command were updating even though neither was the active desktop. Seems to work like you want there.

In another test, I created 7 desktops (max I could do) then opened FireFox in 2 of them and played a different YouTube video in each. When I viewed the desktops from the "Task View" icon, I could see the 2 videos were running in their min views. I left the videos running and was able to use FireFox in another desktop to surf the web. I could hear the audio from each of the running videos and they didn't pause or stutter at all.

strollin, Oct 2, 2014
  5. Edwin New Member
    In my humble opinion, they're not truly virtual desktops, just a nifty UI for 'Open each folder in it's own window'/'Launch folder windows in separate process' in Folder Options.

It's actually a bigger pain; when typing this I had to check Explorer for a sec in monitor one so it hid Firefox on monitor two! That ain't right!

Edwin, Oct 2, 2014
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Thanks -- that sounds really good -- I'm installing a load of stuff at the moment on 4 different machines !!! and have only got one slow laptop spare for internet and general use until the other installs / tests are complete. I'll try EXCEL with dynamic updates with say 3 different stocks on 3 different desktops as soon as I have a machine ready - but if it works like your test then that will suit me just fine !!

(Still got an "Irate woman" screaming at me begging to clear up all the hardware and cables I've got lying all round the house !!!!!).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 2, 2014
  7. Edwin New Member
    If they were truly individual desktops, (like 'Desktops' from Sysinternals), then I shouldn't be able to close all Explorer windows from one VD even though they are all open in different VD's.

Virtual Desktops - apps don't run as single instances [​IMG]

If you open Task Manger while 'VD-ing', there is several processes running but only one instance.
    Some applications won't open more than one instance, it will kick you over to the VD running it.

Edwin, Oct 2, 2014
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

I agree with you but so long as the different VD's all keep running their apps even if they aren't the active desktop - that will I'm sure suit most users.

Can somebody try this - until I'm ready I can't test myself - open on VD1 and VD2 one instance of EXCEL. Now closing EXCEL on VD1 should still leave EXCEL running on VD2. You shouldn't be able to CLOSE the application started on VD1 from VD2.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 2, 2014
  9. strollin Win User
    You make some good points, you should submit them as feedback.

strollin, Oct 2, 2014
  10. Edwin New Member
    Now that works!!! *Biggrin

Virtual Desktops - apps don't run as single instances [​IMG]

(but I can still close them all from one VD!)

Edwin, Oct 2, 2014
  11. Edwin New Member
    Arrrgh! I uninstalled the 'Feedback' App! *Redface

Edwin, Oct 2, 2014
  12. strollin Win User
    I did as you described and was able to open and close the Excel workbooks from each VD. However, it's possible to close the Excel workbook in VD2 from VD1 via the Taskbar because everything is grouped on the Taskbar.

strollin, Oct 2, 2014
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

That's OK though - I think I can live with that.

Thanks for testing -- still installing all my stuff before I get tossed into the shed with only the dog for company!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 2, 2014
  14. CountMike New Member
    Not you, THEY did but I'm sure you'll find something (!"#$%&/()=?*) to say to them.

CountMike, Oct 2, 2014
  15. Saltgrass Win User
    I originally thought the virtual desktops would hold some great potential and be usable for many purposes. But now I am getting the impression that they only act as if you had multiple monitors, you just can't see the other monitors until you switch to them.

I suppose the virtual description really does not give you protection from a virus if you happen to run into one while surfing from a virtual desktop, as a virtual machine might do. Calling them virtual may even give some folks the wrong impression and a false sense of security.

You can move windows to and from the other desktops which is good, but the implementation of the virtual desktops seems to be problematic. If I see a need to use them, I may adjust, however.

Edit: I am just starting to realize there is a difference between a Virtual Monitor and Virtual Desktop. I was trying to turn them into virtual Desktops so I am starting to understand the limitation and see they will not be as useful as I had hoped....and should really be called Virtual Monitors .

Saltgrass, Oct 2, 2014
Thema:

1. Virtual Desktops - apps don't run as single instances - Similar Threads - Virtual Desktops apps

2. Remote Desktop wont run on single app kiosk mode

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote Desktop wont run on single app kiosk mode: Hi Team I have an issue on remote desktop app in single app kiosk mode, even the policy successfully applied and the application installed via Microsoft store the application wont run in kiosk mode. FYI. other executable app is working. I hope that you can help me with my...
  3. Single Instance of Support

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Single Instance of Support: I am trying to buy a single instance of support but the website says "Tax calculation was unsuccessful, Please try again later." https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/single-instance-of-support/9548374c-abf7-4c71-b2b0-b07c85bb7e2a
  4. Multiple instances of apps running in Task Manager

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Multiple instances of apps running in Task Manager: Its sometimes says 10+ of the same program is running when just one is open. [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/multiple-instances-of-apps-running-in-task-manager/761e16d9-907b-4af4-8a11-901f30de0188
  5. How do I open the existing instance of an app from another virtual desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I open the existing instance of an app from another virtual desktop?: A simple scenario. I am on Virtual Desktop 1. Google Chrome is running on VD 2. I have Chrome pinned to my taskbar. Now I click the Chrome icon on taskbar on VD 1, expecting Windows 10 to jump to the existing instance of Chrome running on VD 2. However, this opens a new...
  6. Multiple Instances of Single Printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Multiple Instances of Single Printer: I recently added my printers to a new computer running Windows 10. For some reason each one is showing multiple instances of the drivers in the various settings. Trying to figure out why and how to get rid of the extra versions that are not needed. [ATTACH]...
  7. Windows Multiple Desktop Auto Switching (for single instance apps)

Windows Multiple Desktop Auto Switching (for single instance apps): Is there a possibility that the window of an app to be opened, which is open in another desktop, moves to the current desktop instead of changing the desktop?...
  8. another instance is running......

another instance is running......: every time i open my computer, it will pop a message——another instance is running. i don't konw what happened.i wonder how to find the error but there are no approches to search it. and i have not met any questions by now.however it is annoyed for me to see that message....
  9. Virtual Desktop running in the background?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual Desktop running in the background?: I know how to create virtual desktops and all in Windows 10, but is there any way to have them running in the background while I do other things? For instance I want a game to be running in fullscreen and a macro controlling the character on one desktop, while I do other...
  10. Virtual Desktops showing apps not in certain desktops

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual Desktops showing apps not in certain desktops: Hi, I have a problem with W10 virtual desktops. I'll explain it step by step : Go to virtual desktop 1 Open full windowed Chrome Go to virtual desktop 2 Open two different full windowed excels Hit windows-tab And you end up in this mess i'm attaching as a...