Windows 10: Virtual desktops problem - word projecting on every one

Discus and support Virtual desktops problem - word projecting on every one in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I like to use virtual desktops. Ever since word crashed yesterday, whenever I open a word document, it projects that same document across every... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by SteppinInASlideZone, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Virtual desktops problem - word projecting on every one

I like to use virtual desktops. Ever since word crashed yesterday, whenever I open a word document, it projects that same document across every virtual desktop (so if I switch desktops, the word document is still there). When I go to task view, I see the same word doc across every desktop. No other application does this.

I have tried deleting all extra desktops, uninstalling and reinstalling office, and using the fix it tool. What should I do?

:)

SteppinInASlideZone, Jan 29, 2019
  2. dhruvdutt Win User

Virtual Desktops - Projector

Let's assume I've created 2 virtual desktops in Windows 10. (#1 and #2)
    Is it possible to connect projector with a single virtual desktop only?
    Eg. Connect virtual desktop #1 with the projector. Now swap, work along virtual desktop #2 (to look privately for some references at the time of a presentation/projection) and swap back to resume the public projection at desktop #1?

Please suggest any 3rd party tool (if any available) for this use case.

dhruvdutt, Jan 29, 2019
  3. SimonLidd Win User
    Virtual desktops

I have a written a program which enhances Windows 10 desktops and works around this issue for you by detecting the switch to a new desktop to open the existing document and then open of a new document - it then moves it back where it belongs.

Virtual Desktop Grid Switcher

Full set of features are:

• Windows 10 Desktop Switcher using a grid layout
    • Switch desktops using arrow keys with configurable modifier keys
    • Move active window to another desktop using keyboard
    • Make windows Always on Top or Sticky using keyboard
    • Activate last active window when switch from empty desktop (Windows 10 bug)
    • Chrome/Firefox activation to make web links open on same desktop if window exists
    • Word/Excel new window detected and moved back to current desktop if auto-switched
    Enjoy!

Simon

SimonLidd, Jan 29, 2019
  4. sjmyst Win User

Virtual desktops problem - word projecting on every one

Virtual desktops

Alan,

You are missing the entire point of wanting virtual desktops. Virtual desktops have been around for decades on other operating systems. Or, on this OS using third party programs to accomplish virtual desktops.

The goal of virtual desktops is that when you are in that desktop, the computer acts like it is the only desktop. Would it make sense to you to open Word and it open up on your best friend's computer in the office next door? No!

It seems to me you have a work around for how this can work. What you describe above is what Windows SHOULD do for the user. The user shouldn't have to work around the feature to get things to work like they want.

If your response is that "most people" would want it to work this way, that is hogwash. All other implementations of virtual desktop work the way sirBait has described.

If I am in a desktop, and I want to open up ANYTHING, I want it to open up in THAT desktop. Not any other desktop. Don't make the assumption that the user is stupid and doesn't know what they are doing. You describe above how to open up a 2nd copy of
    Word. When I click on a Word document like sirBait describes, make it the default that a 2nd copy of Word is opened in the 2nd desktop. Then, the user doesn't have to take a bunch of manual steps to accomplish what is obviously what they would want (since
    they are intentionally on the 2nd desktop).

If you think other people still want this original (IMO broken) functionality, then create a flag to keep the old functionality.

Regards,

sjmyst, Jan 29, 2019
Thema:

Virtual desktops problem - word projecting on every one

1. Virtual desktops problem - word projecting on every one - Similar Threads - Virtual desktops problem

2. every virtual desktop shows every app !!! why??

in Windows 10 Customization
    every virtual desktop shows every app !!! why??: Hi all Is it me or has W10 H2 degraded the virtual desktop feature? Let me explain the current situation. - I have two virtual desktops let’s call them desktopA and desktopB. - From within desktopA I open apps appA1, appA2 and appA3. - From within desktopB, I open apps...
  3. Multiple Virtual Desktops on one view

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Multiple Virtual Desktops on one view: OS Build 18363.1316 I have a very large monitor that I would like to "split" into four sections and with each section running a separate virtual desktop. I hope to have four virtual desktops "active" on one monitor at a time Is is possible to snap virtual desktops rather...
  4. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops: Hi there, With the new windows update, I am unable to create new virtual desktops using keyboard shortcuts and task view, as well as being unable to switch between them. Would like a fix, please....
  5. Windows 10 Virtual Desktops Problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Virtual Desktops Problem: I have a problem when switching between virtual desktops with my touchpad. I have a 4-finger gesture swiping left and right which switched between desktops. The problem is that it is very erratic and more often than not it jumps between the first and the last virtual desktop,...
  6. virtual desktop

virtual desktop: hello im trying to tern off virtual desktop when i miss click the win key and tap i did try regedit to disable it and i did try Gpedit.msc i heat this virtual desktop and i need help even if u can help me deleted i will appreciated...
  7. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops: I just created a second virtual desktop, but all I get out of it is a mirror image of the original desktop. Whatever I do on one shows up on the other. How can I make the desktops independent of each other? Thanks, Bill...
  8. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops: Right now, if I have three virtual desktops created, and I open Sticky Notes in VD 1 and then if I open Sticky Notes in VD 2, I sends me back to VD 1. This issue is very annoying and is making it very hard to used virtual desktops. Please Help!...
  9. Virtual Desktops

Virtual Desktops: When I open an App, i.e. Excel, on one Virtual Desktop and then try and open an excel doc. from file explorer on a second virtual desktop the doc opens up and switches views to the original virtual desktop making using virtual desktops frustrating and time consuming. Is...
  10. Move Windows from One Virtual Desktop to Another

in Windows 10 Support
    Move Windows from One Virtual Desktop to Another: This seems to be a tedious process of going to the task view, then finding the window and right clicking and sending it to another desktop. Is there something simpler? I was expecting a right click on the taskbar would give this option, but it does not. Is there a keyboard...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. virtual desktops problem microsoft