Windows 10: Virtual desktops: weird switching behavior

Discus and support Virtual desktops: weird switching behavior in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Wondering if anyone else has this problem...sometimes I will open a new instance of an already-open app, and Windows will force a switch over to the VD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ScoobaDood1, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Virtual desktops: weird switching behavior

Wondering if anyone else has this problem...sometimes I will open a new instance of an already-open app, and Windows will force a switch over to the VD where the app is already open before initiating the new instance. This isn't just limited to tabbed apps, either.

For example, say I have a PPT file open in VD #1. If I move to VD #2 and attempt to open a new/blank PPT, Windows will force a switch back to VD #1 and then open the blank file. I then have to go into Task view and drag the newly-opened PPT over to VD #2.

This is a huge PITA and is really starting to impact my productivity. I've submitted it as a problem in the feedback app, but does anyone know what I could do to fix this?

I have Windows 10 Enterprise, Build #19042.867. I've tried asking my helpdesk about this, but they can't seem to understand the 'problem' that's occurring.

submitted by /u/ScoobaDood1
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ScoobaDood1, Mar 24, 2021

2. Virtual Switch Manger Unable to Create Default Switch in v1809

After upgrading to v1809 I turned Hyper-V feature Off then On. Since then the Default Switch no longer exists and the Virtual Switch Manager is unable to crate it automatically as it would normally. I can see the Default Switch appear for a few seconds in the Network Adapters, then its gone. This happens several time whenever I launch the Virtual Switch Manager.

I can create other virtual switches.
    Once the Virtual Switch Manager lists the Default Switch with a Load Failed message.

I have used netcfg -d command and Turned Hyper-V feature Off/On several times with no success.

Suggestions welcome. Virtual desktops: weird switching behavior :) Thanks

jareinertson, Mar 24, 2021
  3. sirBait Win User
    Virtual desktops

In the article you linked it says talks about 4 goals Microsoft has with virtual desktops:

• Give you more desktop space to group related windows
    • Help you quickly locate and switch to any window or group of windows
    • Let you easily re-organize your groups and move windows as tasks evolve
    • Keep you in control of the degree of separation between your grouped windows
    Not being able to control what desktop the program opens on really doesn't fit in with these goals.

Give me one good reason for why it is suppose force me to change virtual desktop when I open a program, just one good reason and I will consider to drop the issue. To me this sounds like virtual desktops isn't ready yet and you refuse to acknowledge that
    there are bugs, because this makes it very hard to work with multiply virtual desktops.

sirBait, Mar 24, 2021
  4. Edwin Win User

Virtual desktops: weird switching behavior

Virtual desktop switch

Ctrl + *Start + D adds a 'Virtual Desktop'
    Ctrl + *Start + F4 deletes a desktop
    Ctrl + *Start + forward or back arrows switches desktops.

Edwin, Mar 24, 2021
Thema:

Virtual desktops: weird switching behavior

1. Virtual desktops: weird switching behavior - Similar Threads - Virtual desktops weird

2. Weird keyboard behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird keyboard behavior: When I pressed - key it becomes backspace too, when I pressed : key it clicks enter too, when I pressed ? key clicks Shift too. Anyone can please help me? I suspect it's something to do with Fn key shortcut but searching online doesn't give any clues.I tried uninstalling...
  3. Weird keyboard behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird keyboard behavior: When I pressed - key it becomes backspace too, when I pressed : key it clicks enter too, when I pressed ? key clicks Shift too. Anyone can please help me? I suspect it's something to do with Fn key shortcut but searching online doesn't give any clues.I tried uninstalling...
  4. Windows 11 Switching Desktop Erratic Behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Switching Desktop Erratic Behavior: I am running the lates Windows 11 Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631. The machine is remote so I always run using RDP. When I hover over the desktop icon and click on a desktop to select it I almost alway get the desktop to open for about a second and then it switches back. I...
  5. Windows 11 Switching Desktop Erratic Behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Switching Desktop Erratic Behavior: I am running the lates Windows 11 Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631. The machine is remote so I always run using RDP. When I hover over the desktop icon and click on a desktop to select it I almost alway get the desktop to open for about a second and then it switches back. I...
  6. Weird PowerShell behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird PowerShell behavior: So, every once in a while I see powershell flashing on the screen. It just opens real quick and closes right after. It's so fast I can't even react to it. Now that I was playing a game I was thrown to desktop game went paused and I guess the powershell soft-crashed since it...
  7. Weird PowerShell behavior

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Weird PowerShell behavior: So, every once in a while I see powershell flashing on the screen. It just opens real quick and closes right after. It's so fast I can't even react to it. Now that I was playing a game I was thrown to desktop game went paused and I guess the powershell soft-crashed since it...
  8. Weird screen behavior

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird screen behavior: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/cxcris [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fvnrx2/weird_screen_behavior/
  9. Virtual desktop switch

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virtual desktop switch: Windows 10, laptop. Sometimes when I log onto my PC, the virtual desktop switches to the furthest on the right. I haven't seen anyone having the same problem, and it's bothering me. submitted by /u/grzesiu447 [link] [comments]...
  10. Virtual desktop switch

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Virtual desktop switch: win+tab opens virtual desktop switch ... but by repeated press it again disappears instead of continuing to next desktop :/ do you know how to advance to next desktop ? by keyboard not by pointing cursor over 2nd desktop ??? (win+tab+1 .... did not worked) alt+tab -...